What is DIRECTV's new GENIE?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm very excited about this. I just recently learned about the genie and being a DTV customer since 1998 of course I needed to have it, but not for $400. I called up retention this afternoon and got this VERY nice rep. I told him how dissapointed I was that new customers were getting this great device for free (or just for install) and I had to pay $400. He looked into it and came back with: One Genie and one client FOR FREE and install for $50 but gave me $25 off that and gave me a $25 programming credit to cover the total install. Not only that, but looked into what other promotions he could offer, and came back with a $100 Visa gift card just for being a long time loyal customer. WOW. I just got all that AND made $100. I couldn't believe how nice retention was "behaving". I kept waiting for the "but...." Of course I had to sign up for 2 more years, but I would have stayed anyway. I'm thrilled!

Some questions for you all. He said that my current HR20 (with a big hard drive attached full of content) could be anywhere in the house and I could pull up that content from any TV location...is that true? Also, I have an R22 and he said the same for that one. Anywhere in the house I can pull up that content or get the HR20 or the Genie content. Is this true?? He mentioned that only one of my 4 receivers needs internet access and the others don't....is this true?

Thanks for any help all!

I'm very excited about this. I just recently learned about the genie and being a DTV customer since 1998 of course I needed to have it, but not for $400. I called up retention this afternoon and got this VERY nice rep. I told him how dissapointed I was that new customers were getting this great device for free (or just for install) and I had to pay $400. He looked into it and came back with: One Genie and one client FOR FREE and install for $50 but gave me $25 off that and gave me a $25 programming credit to cover the total install. Not only that, but looked into what other promotions he could offer, and came back with a $100 Visa gift card just for being a long time loyal customer. WOW. I just got all that AND made $100. I couldn't believe how nice retention was "behaving". I kept waiting for the "but...." Of course I had to sign up for 2 more years, but I would have stayed anyway. I'm thrilled!

Some questions for you all. He said that my current HR20 (with a big hard drive attached full of content) could be anywhere in the house and I could pull up that content from any TV location...is that true? Also, I have an R22 and he said the same for that one. Anywhere in the house I can pull up that content or get the HR20 or the Genie content. Is this true?? He mentioned that only one of my 4 receivers needs internet access and the others don't....is this true?

Thanks for any help all!

Congratulations :)

hunters1234 said:

Thanks for any help all!

I cannot see recordings from my HR24 from the C31. I only see recordings from the HR34. Not sure if it is user error or truly the case. I too was told this by the CSR that with whole home I can see content across all DVRs (including clients). I hope they are telling the truth and I just need a how-to session or a software update.

Also, I only have the HR34 connected to the Internet and my HR24 can access apps, etc from the net.

you would need deca's installed on your hr20 and r22, then all should work fine. oh and a cck, but that should be included with the install of the 34, try to bribe your tech for 2 deca boxes (white attachments) for the hr20 and r22. I gave my tech 10bucks and a cup of coffee and he was thrilled at the time, but I only needed 1 for my r22. I know the HR20 needed to be done a special way. Ill see If i can dig up the howto, but your tech should know.

Thanks for your reply twitz! I thought the deca's would be part of the order since the rep told me everything I'd need to view content from any receiver to any tv would be part of the order. Another question...if I'm trying to view content from the HR20 but in a different location from where it "lives", will there be a delay in starting the show or fast forwarding or rewinding the content "across the network"?

Also, can an external hdd be added for more capacity like with my HR20? Not sure if the 1 TB is going to be enough. If this is the wrong place to ask, I'm sorry.

If the receiver craps out you lose everything on that hard drive too as the drive is in essence attached to that receiver

any specifics to what type of drive I'd need to replace the internal one? I'm assuming SATA, but what other specs? Thanks

Thanks. But couldn't the same be said for the internal hdd that comes with it?

the drives you can put on the HR34 are external. But what I'm saying is the HR34 takes a dump and say you have 900GB on the external drive. You cant get a new HR34 and hook up that drive to it and get the programming back (it will reformat the drive)

Some people think its like Dish where some of their receivers you can hook an external drive up and you can move it from receiver to receiver. That is not the case

Oh, I misread your earlier comment. So you could hook up an external drive to the Genie? eSATA? I assumed it was like my HR20 in that if/when the drive dies, I loose everything. But the unit would still function with the internal drive right? Just with no previous content?

I wonder why they don't just tie it to an account instead of to a specific receiver. Let's ALL send a suggestion for that. :)

I emailed them and asked why we can't schedule recordings on "DVR B" while sitting at "DVR A". I mean "DVR A" can obviously see "DVR B" when you have MRV. The List shows (and marks) a program from the other DVR in a multi-DVR, MRV home. Why can't they unify the management? Give me an app that looks like the program guide online, and let me assign programs to "known" devices in an MRV..... *sigh*

But back on topic.... linking the EHD to an account would make it infinitely more useful.

I emailed them and asked why we can't schedule recordings on "DVR B" while sitting at "DVR A". I mean "DVR A" can obviously see "DVR B" when you have MRV. The List shows (and marks) a program from the other DVR in a multi-DVR, MRV home. Why can't they unify the management? Give me an app that looks like the program guide online, and let me assign programs to "known" devices in an MRV..... *sigh*
you can do this online at the directv website, or on your phone app

you can do this online at the directv website, or on your phone app
I can schedule something to record, but I can't see what I already have set up to record. So I can't look at that online schedule and say "oh, I already have that set to record in the bedroom". See what I mean? I would LOVE to be able to visually see how we're set up for recordings. I think I was able to do that when I had Dish.... not sure. Or it might have been when I first started with DirecTV. But I could SWEAR this was possible at one point in my satellite watching haze....

If I'm trying to view content from the HR20 but in a different location from where it "lives", will there be a delay in starting the show or fast forwarding or rewinding the content "across the network"?​

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts