What is Eastern Arc?

Same reason why DISH creates new receivers with very little difference between them : to make more money and seem to offer more options. For example the 612 hd receiver compared to the 622/722 . The 612 is a single output receiver for one dvr on ONE tv receiver. THE 622/722 dvr is a dual tuner dvr that can be used for two tvs in dual mode and one tv with pip in single mode. Now why do we need another damn receiver for one tv when the 622 /722 dvr can do the exact same thing in single mode? Oh it is about 100.00 cheaper for the 612- MOre options Yay! Now the dish 1000.2 dish is about the same width & height that the dish 1000.4 dish will be , and all you would need is the new triple lnb for the 61.5/72.7/77 sats that could go on the end of the existing dish 1000.2 and a repoint to those sats and you would be in business. BUT NNNNNOOOOO!!!!!! We have to buy another damn dish complete with lnb for another $99.00. The reason is GREED!

Same reason why DISH creates new receivers with very little difference between them : to make more money and seem to offer more options. For example the 612 hd receiver compared to the 622/722 . The 612 is a single output receiver for one dvr on ONE tv receiver. THE 622/722 dvr is a dual tuner dvr that can be used for two tvs in dual mode and one tv with pip in single mode. Now why do we need another damn receiver for one tv when the 622 /722 dvr can do the exact same thing in single mode? Oh it is about 100.00 cheaper for the 612- MOre options Yay! Now the dish 1000.2 dish is about the same width & height that the dish 1000.4 dish will be , and all you would need is the new triple lnb for the 61.5/72.7/77 sats that could go on the end of the existing dish 1000.2 and a repoint to those sats and you would be in business. BUT NNNNNOOOOO!!!!!! We have to buy another damn dish complete with lnb for another $99.00. The reason is GREED!

I concur with you 100%

I've never bought a dish, save for the one at my RV. I've always been provided whatever dish or dishes I need without additional charge. Why would EA be any different?

Quick question: Since the look on a 1000.2 dish is currently about 19 Degrees and the plan for eastern arc is 16 Degrees shouldn't dish be able to just put a new set of 3 LNBs at different angles to support 61.5/72.7/77 instead of 110/119/129? So would I just need a new LNB or a whole new dish?

The 1000.4 will be larger than the 1000.2, its equal in size to the 500+ dish. The reason for the larger dish is because 77 and 72.5 are only 4.5 degrees apart as opposed to the normal 9 degrees. This means that "noise" from the adjacent satellite will be present on the other LNB. You need more signal gain to overcome this. IOW, some signal from 72.5 will be hitting the 77 LNB and vice-versa. So you have to get enough signal over the unwanted signal to get a good lock.

This was the basis for the whole issue Bell had with DISH running a satellite into USA, it could interfere with Bell if they ever ran a triple sat dish for 72.5/82/91. A 77 in the middle of that could have caused them problems. It is also why DBS band is generally 9 degrees spacing.

I'm sure DISH would have liked to have been able to use the 1000.2 for EA since it has a lower production cost and already has been in mass production for a good while now, making it close in price to a 500 dish. It would also make repoints possible with less material expense. I'm sure DISH engineers decided the S/N (signal to noise ratio) wouldn't be good enough with just a 1000.2. DISH went so far as to make the LNB for the 1000.4 impossible to fit on to a 1000.2 dish. This is probably so some dummy tech doesn't try to just repoint a 1000.2, swap the LNB, and then call it done.

I got an email from Dish and they said there monitering equipment was reporting a signal problem with my dish. I called the number listed and they sent a technician out and he moved my dishes to above my electric meter for proper grounding. They installed two 500 dishes to replace my 500 and single dish for 61.5(they did not have any single dishes). They ran all new wiring very neatly done, better than the previous wiring. They used my dp34 switch, but everything else was new. They peaked the signal to better than it has ever been and I was not charged one penny. Dish can't be all greed, they did me right.

The 1000.4 will be larger than the 1000.2, its equal in size to the 500+ dish. The reason for the larger dish is because 77 and 72.5 are only 4.5 degrees apart as opposed to the normal 9 degrees. This means that "noise" from the adjacent satellite will be present on the other LNB. You need more signal gain to overcome this. IOW, some signal from 72.5 will be hitting the 77 LNB and vice-versa. So you have to get enough signal over the unwanted signal to get a good lock.

This was the basis for the whole issue Bell had with DISH running a satellite into USA, it could interfere with Bell if they ever ran a triple sat dish for 72.5/82/91. A 77 in the middle of that could have caused them problems. It is also why DBS band is generally 9 degrees spacing.

I'm sure DISH would have liked to have been able to use the 1000.2 for EA since it has a lower production cost and already has been in mass production for a good while now, making it close in price to a 500 dish. It would also make repoints possible with less material expense. I'm sure DISH engineers decided the S/N (signal to noise ratio) wouldn't be good enough with just a 1000.2. DISH went so far as to make the LNB for the 1000.4 impossible to fit on to a 1000.2 dish. This is probably so some dummy tech doesn't try to just repoint a 1000.2, swap the LNB, and then call it done.

Enough said. Forgot about the 9 degree spacing issue. I like most on here have never paid a cent for equipment. But it just sucks having dish come all the way out to do it again. Since they just installed the 1000.2 and a dish 500. I have 4 LNBs already figured we could make something work here.

Moving, Eastern Arc "upgrade"?

I'm moving to a new rental location beginning Aug 1st. I'm wondering if I can get set up with the Eastern Arc dish set-up once I complete the move? Any word on where E* is at with providing this type of "upgrade" for existing customers?

No and no. And no word on when it'll be started up for new customers, either.

I don't know where you're getting this greed stuff from. But I can can tell you at least 7 of every 10 HD upgrade customers I install pay nothing for the upgrade.

Is there a chart one could look up the elevation, magnetic azimuth and skew for the future satellites at 72.7 and 77 by zip code? I have info for 61.5.

Last edited:
Is there a chart one could look up the elevation, magnetic azimuth and skew for the future satellites at 72.7 and 77 by zip code? I have info for 61.5.

For Knoxville, 77 is at 173.5 magnetic azimuth (168.5 true) at 47.5 elevation. 72.7 is at 166.5 (161.5 true) at 46.5 elevation.

The skew is gonna be pretty close to 90 as there is only 5.5 degrees difference in elevation between 77 and 61.5 from your location.

Satsig.net has a good satellite angle calculator.

For Knoxville, 77 is at 173.5 magnetic azimuth (168.5 true) at 47.5 elevation. 72.7 is at 166.5 (161.5 true) at 46.5 elevation.

The skew is gonna be pretty close to 90 as there is only 5.5 degrees difference in elevation between 77 and 61.5 from your location.

Satsig.net has a good satellite angle calculator.

Thank you for that information. I appreciate your response.

NO. THere has been little speculation about it from any sources. Scott seems to think they should scrap the plans and concentrate on the main sats they have and do the transition to mpeg 4 quicker. Then they could go ahead and do everything in mpeg 4. I agree if you aren't going to do eastern arc , then go ahead and start changing out all mpeg 2 receivers to mpeg 4 . If they set a deadline and stuck to it and offered a change out for free of all mpeg 2 receivers they could do mpeg 4 and the bandwith problems wouldn't be a problem. The only problem is that it would cost a lot of $$$ to do this and that is not what DISH has right now . NOT with the pending pay out to TIVO and the 500 million they will have to pay back to ATT due to their pending break up of partnership.

Well, with this new suite of premium channels going HD, perhaps DISH can work on next transitioning all subscribers of premium channels to ViP boxes and waive their access fees. They can recover some capacity by removing the simulcasts and it would screw with some of the hackers out there I imagine. Makes sense to spend any improvements on high dollar subs.

Originally (following Team Summit) there was a consensus that if existing customers went out and got their own 1000.4 dish that they'd be able to access all the channels authorized in their current package, but just get them from 61.5/72.7/77(when avail) instead of 110/119/129 or 110/119/61.5.

I'm wondering if this is still true, or will only the customers who sign up for Turbo HD be authorized to utilize a 1000.4 dish? Also wondering if the channel numbers will be the same for EA and non-EA?

Originally (following Team Summit) there was a consensus that if existing customers went out and got their own 1000.4 dish that they'd be able to access all the channels authorized in their current package, but just get them from 61.5/72.7/77(when avail) instead of 110/119/129 or 110/119/61.5.

I'm wondering if this is still true, or will only the customers who sign up for Turbo HD be authorized to utilize a 1000.4 dish? Also wondering if the channel numbers will be the same for EA and non-EA?
Good question, I was wondering the about the same thing.

At this point who knows when or if the 77 orbital slot will be used. This would render the "Eastern Arc" useless, and the 1000.4 dish may never see the light of day. From what I understand, Dish has to prove the use of the 77 slot will not cause interference with other satellites. And this maybe more work than Dish would wish to take on at the current time. I for one would not be holding my breath.

I hope your info/supposition/sources are correct...I want my E* back!

Especially after todays major HD announcements!:hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)