What is Orby TV?????

There's no use lamenting about "I wishes" in this case. It is, what it is.

I can't see ANYWAY that using a standard CAM card versus the present SIM card would make a single $1.00 worth of difference. That's been covered in this thread. They MUST use receivers that are addressable with encryption, locked down, AND that are 100% within their control. That would be a condition of their obtaining programming to broadcast, otherwise they couldn't stay in business long.

So according to what you are saying, using the example of how Cell phones work, you are saying that all cellphones SIM cards should be locked, now days no cellphone is locked, maybe they are carrier locked, but within that carrier you can use any SIM on any cellphone, in my opinion this should be the standard in satellites as well, you should be able to use your SIM and use it in whatever receiver you can afford.

Another suggestion to this new provider is that they should include sports networks for extra price, the reason is because some networks are not available in Directv (Bein Sports) and Dish Network doesn't has Univision Channels so a guy that want satellite service with both channels right now he can't because there's no satellite provider that has both packages.

A third suggestion to me is that as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) this new provider should give main channels of ABC, CBS, ABC, Telemundo, Univision and so on, as far as I know those channels have main satellite signal different from the local feed that are send by ATSC.

So according to what you are saying, using the example of how Cell phones work, you are saying that all cellphones SIM cards should be locked, now days no cellphone is locked, maybe they are carrier locked, but within that carrier you can use any SIM on any cellphone, in my opinion this should be the standard in satellites as well, you should be able to use your SIM and use it in whatever receiver you can afford.

There's no comparison here between a cell phone and satellite encryption that just happens to use a SIM card. IF it was even possible for these SIM cards to be used in any old FTA receiver with a SIM slot, it would be easily hacked before the end of that day, and this company would be out of business. The providers KNOW that, that's why they REQUIRE this method.

Now, I'm done explaining anything more towards this, to anybody. It's NOT ever going to change with the present market setup in the USA, so forget it.

There's no comparison here between a cell phone and satellite encryption that just happens to use a SIM card. IF it was even possible for these SIM cards to be used in any old FTA receiver with a SIM slot, it would be easily hacked before the end of that day, and this company would be out of business. The providers KNOW that, that's why they REQUIRE this method.

Now, I'm done explaining anything more towards this, to anybody. It's NOT ever going to change with the present market setup in the USA, so forget it.

I don't think all encryptions are easily hacked, look at standard cable TV, those ones use CableCard and you can use your own CableCard Receiver, so I still think using a card based like that can se applied to satellites as well, why they do exists in Europe and those ones are not cracked yet.

I would be all about this setup, except that I can't get OTA channels where I live. So does me no good. Most of the programming that we watch is on the Big 4. I like that someone is trying to offer lower cost satellite for people that live in rural areas and don't have access to broadband internet though.

I remember those days. I can even recall seeing the 'self install kits' branded as RCA at Wal-Mart, Sears, etc... back in the day. I can remember going to Wal-Mart about 21 or 22 years ago, helping my cousin get what she needed for a DSS (remember back in the day when there was DirecTV and USSB) installation, I put it in for her and her husband. Remember looking at one of those 'self install kits' I had all the stuff anyway, we didn't pick that up. I can't recall how much they were.
I bought one of those kits. USSB. DirecTV 1R4S @ 101W if I remember. 18" round single lnb. Analog vhf / uhf antenna for locals. Used it for years.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the SatelliteGuys app!

Ussb had all the movie channels and Viacom if I remember correctly. That rca stb was so so slow but it blow analong cable out of the water.

USSB Entertainment Packages
By combining America's premium movie channels and top entertainment networks, U.S. Satellite BroadcastingSM offers a wide range of entertainment packages. We're sure you'll find there's something for everyone.

USSB Entertainment Plus: $34.95/mo.
The most complete USSB package. You get, well, an unbelievable selection of movies -- over 900 different movies a month.
5 ch. of HBO, 2 ch. of HBO Family, 3 ch. of Cinemax, 4 ch. of Showtime, 2 ch. of The Movie ChannelTM, FLIXTM, and the Sundance ChannelTM
Showtime Plus: $24.95/mo.
4 ch. of Showtime, 2 ch. of The Movie Channel, and FLIX.

HBO Plus: $24.95/mo.
5 ch. of HBO, 2 ch. of HBO Family, 3 ch. of Cinemax.

Select Two: $19.95/mo.
5 ch. of HBO, 3 ch. of Cinemax and 2 ch. of HBO Family or 4 ch. of Showtime, 2 ch. of The Movie Channel and FLIX.

Select One: $10.95/mo.
5 ch. of HBO, or 4 ch. of Showtime plus FLIX, or 3 ch. of Cinemax, or 2 ch. of The Movie Channel

Sundance Package: $8.95/mo.
Sundance Channel

1999 pricing

USSB Entertainment Packages
By combining America's premium movie channels and top entertainment networks, U.S. Satellite BroadcastingSM offers a wide range of entertainment packages. We're sure you'll find there's something for everyone.

USSB Entertainment Plus: $34.95/mo.
The most complete USSB package. You get, well, an unbelievable selection of movies -- over 900 different movies a month.
5 ch. of HBO, 2 ch. of HBO Family, 3 ch. of Cinemax, 4 ch. of Showtime, 2 ch. of The Movie ChannelTM, FLIXTM, Sundance ChannelTM, plus The Basics, some of the most popular entertainment networks.
Showtime Plus: $24.95/mo.
4 ch. of Showtime, 2 ch. of The Movie Channel, FLIX, Plus The Basics.

HBO Plus: $24.95/mo.
5 ch. of HBO, 2 ch. of HBO Family, 3 ch. of Cinemax, Plus The Basics.

Select Two: $19.95/mo.
5 ch. of HBO, 3 ch. of Cinemax and 2 ch. of HBO Family or 4 ch. of Showtime, 2 ch. of The Movie Channel and FLIX.

Select One: $10.95/mo.
5 ch. of HBO, or 4 ch. of Showtime plus FLIX, or 3 ch. of Cinemax, or 2 ch. of The Movie Channel

Sundance Package: $8.95/mo.
Sundance Channel

The Basics: $7.95/mo.
The basic entertainment networks: MTV, M2, VH1TM, Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite, Nick at Nite's TV Land, Comedy Central, Lifetime, and All News ChannelTM

Nick at Nite's TV Land and M2 are Free With All Packages.

Last edited:
Reactions: raydio
Ussb had all the movie channels and Viacom if I remember correctly.

Sometime before DirecTV bought out USSB the basic cable channels moved to DirecTV and USSB was HBO/Cinemax, Showtime/TMC, and FXM only. Probably some time in late ‘97 or early ‘98. I believe that DirecTV was the only one left by late ‘98. Seems like they might have still had All News Channel too (which was a channel that Hubbard cobbled together).

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I spoke with someone from Orby TV recently. They are working on contracts to add more channels. I also asked them about DIY kits instead of having to pay Mastec, and they said it may be something in the future if everything goes well with the initial launch of the service. Their reasoning behind using an installer was to insure that people will have flawless and worry free installations. Makes sense from a business standpoint, since they are just getting started.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Looks like only 10 out of 32 transponders are actually in use on Eutelsat 117... that give Orby lots of room to expand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)