What is Orby TV?????

I would rather have an off-the-shelf DIY kit myself. Not a big fan of paying a 3rd party to come do the setup.

Their target customer is NOT capable of installing and aiming a KU dish. IF they only offered a DIY install kit, they'd never become viable with enough customers in the USA. WE here are NOT the customer base they are expecting.

Sure, WE could install and aim a KU dish, many of us could likely aim it with a WAG and be pretty much dead-on, but IF they expected their customers to do so, they'd be dead in the water before they could get to a sustaining customer base.

Their target customer is NOT capable of installing and aiming a KU dish. IF they only offered a DIY install kit, they'd never become viable with enough customers in the USA. WE here are NOT the customer base they are expecting.

Sure, WE could install and aim a KU dish, many of us could likely aim it with a WAG and be pretty much dead-on, but IF they expected their customers to do so, they'd be dead in the water before they could get to a sustaining customer base.
I'm not suggesting it for everyone, but as an option to the "professional" installation.

I'm not suggesting it for everyone, but as an option to the "professional" installation.
If you offer self installation as an option, you must have the resources support it. Suddenly you go from a customer support staff which only needs to know menu screens and remote operation to requiring a technical team with installation and advanced troubleshooting experience.

It is one thing to accept the fact that hobbyists like us will self install, but another to provide the materials and resources for any buyer to be successful. In my opinion, professional install requirement is the best decision.

- From someone who speaks from experience...

Point not missed.

Give me a break... Mastec is simply a scheduler of regional installers. Are you suggesting that the thousands of regional satellite installers are the problem?

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
If you offer self installation as an option, you must have the resources support it. Suddenly you go from a customer support staff which only needs to know menu screens and remote operation to requiring a technical team with installation and advanced troubleshooting experience.

It is one thing to accept the fact that hobbyists like us will self install, but another to provide the materials and resources for any buyer to be successful. In my opinion, professional install requirement is the best decision.

- From someone who speaks from experience...
From my own experience, I have to disagree somewhat, I've done networking, cable TV, and satellite installations, and my rates are not that high... based on my experience I can do those types of installs generally in less than 2 hours, so $75 @ hour is a bit high to me.

From my own experience, I have to disagree somewhat, I've done networking, cable TV, and satellite installations, and my rates are not that high... based on my experience I can do those types of installs generally in less than 2 hours, so $75 @ hour is a bit high to me.
Do you include the equipment along with your hourly rate?

The $150 dollars INCLUDES the dish w/lnb, 100ft coax wiring, Diplexers, OTA antenna and everything else. You are NOT paying "just for the install".

Frankly, I'm amazed they can provide all that, for such a low price! I seriously doubt the installer company is getting the entire $150. The dish, lnb, and OTA antenna, and coax alone has to cost at least $100.

p.s. Whoops, Brian beat me to the ENTER key, lol

depends on the project... bulk cabling is cheap, and and most of the people I deal with prefer to purchase their own equipment, or it was included in whatever they bought. Which is what I like, the entire package, then decide if I want an installer or not. And if they are able to outsource their installations, then they should be able to also outsource technical support as well, including for DIYers. Is Mastec going to provide the technical support after the installs? Included or as an extra fee? Or is Orby TV going to provide tech support, also free or extra fee? What if the dish needs repositioning? That's what I concerned about... still a few unanswered questions.

The $150 dollars INCLUDES the dish w/lnb, 100ft coax wiring, Diplexers, OTA antenna and everything else. You are NOT paying "just for the install".

Frankly, I'm amazed they can provide all that, for such a low price! I seriously doubt the installer company is getting the entire $150. The dish, lnb, and OTA antenna, and coax alone has to cost at least $100.

p.s. Whoops, Brian beat me to the ENTER key, lol
Well that all depends on the quality of the materials, if they are like most of the China made products, it would be a lot less than that, cheap LNBFs less than $5 and OTA antennas less than $10 @ in bulk. I've even seen dishes similar to the ones they are using for less than $20.

I only charge $25 @ hr, but that's my choice. It more than covers my labor IMHO. Sometimes less for repeat customers. I tend to get more repeat business that way. The rest I leave up to the customer, I don't try and sell them the most expensive equipment, just what they need to provide what they want. I only make suggestions if they are planning on expanding in the future. I'm not out to become a millionaire, I'm more interested in making people happy and taking pride in what I do. So far I haven't had any problems that couldn't be resolved quickly, and most of the time I don't charge them for a re-visit unless they damaged something and it needs replacing, then I generally do it at cost. And I've even did free reinstallation for people after big storms or hurricanes to get them up and running again. Most of the time they will insist on offer something for coming out, so I'm not walking away empty handed by no means, not to mention all the great friends I've made in the process. Far more priceless. Plus I don't generally do commercial work. Except for a select few that have small at-home businesses or agriculture. I don't do this full-time anymore, by choice, I consider myself semi-retired, I enjoy spending time at home with family.

Wow, I applaud you being willing and able to do all that for $25 an hour. I was charging that 30+ years ago, and I had more work than I could handle, though sometimes that rate got adjusted a bit depending on the customer. Never became a millionaire, never a thought to cheating anybody, but I discovered quickly that if you price yourself TOO cheap, many people will just under value you, and at a minimum hassle you non-stop with questions and phone calls.

Reactions: Titanium
Wow, I applaud you being willing and able to do all that for $25 an hour. I was charging that 30+ years ago, and I had more work than I could handle, though sometimes that rate got adjusted a bit depending on the customer. Never became a millionaire, never a thought to cheating anybody, but I discovered quickly that if you price yourself TOO cheap, many people will just under value you, and at a minimum hassle you non-stop with questions and phone calls.
Hasn't happened to me yet, but only do local, and by word-of-mouth only, no advertising, so would make a difference. Plus I also do the same for PC & Mac repairs... Also I'm completely self taught, no certifications, of any kind. Just a willingness to learn all that I can. Still learning new stuff everyday. I've had a lot of people tell me I'm not charging enough, but I get a lot of satisfaction from helping people. Quite a few on the people I deal with are senior citizens, and I have the upmost respect in them. And I've received so much help for things I needed in exchange for far less that what it would normally cost me, because of people they know, so it all works out great in the end. Guess it's kind of my own way of bartering, LOL

And not to mention all the advice/help/recommendations I've received from so many on here as well, I am truly thankful, and hopefully I've provide help for others as well. And I don't mind criticism, it's what makes life more interesting, and a way to share different points of view, although some do take it way too seriously at times.

Reactions: primestar31
I only charge $25 @ hr, but that's my choice. It more than covers my labor IMHO. Sometimes less for repeat customers. I tend to get more repeat business that way. The rest I leave up to the customer, I don't try and sell them the most expensive equipment, just what they need to provide what they want. I only make suggestions if they are planning on expanding in the future. I'm not out to become a millionaire, I'm more interested in making people happy and taking pride in what I do. So far I haven't had any problems that couldn't be resolved quickly, and most of the time I don't charge them for a re-visit unless they damaged something and it needs replacing, then I generally do it at cost. And I've even did free reinstallation for people after big storms or hurricanes to get them up and running again. Most of the time they will insist on offer something for coming out, so I'm not walking away empty handed by no means, not to mention all the great friends I've made in the process. Far more priceless. Plus I don't generally do commercial work. Except for a select few that have small at-home businesses or agriculture. I don't do this full-time anymore, by choice, I consider myself semi-retired, I enjoy spending time at home with family.

$25 an hour? Do you have liability and workers' comp insurance? Or do you just ask the customer to drag you out into the street if you fall?

Only in a forum would one compare a retirement hobby to a professional trying to make a living. $25 would not pay for a truck roll, insurance, liability, tool replacement and in many states mandatory licensing.

Likely, my Orby TV installer received $75 or less for over one hour of drive time, 1.5+ hours of labor and 75' of coax. That is a tough way to make a living! Are you sure that you wish to debate the value of the equipment and installation provided along with a 90 day warranty? Sheesh....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)