What is Orby TV?????

In Oregon (where I live and work) you must have a contractors license, bond, and liability insurance to drill a hole in a wall or roof. It costs me $1,300 to renew my license every two years and $500 for the intervening year. When you add the cost of local mass transit tax, tax accounting..... $75 per service call is not a living wage.
Bob

Last edited:
jiFfM.jpg

Hmmm, I guess as a self-taught, uninsured, old guy, I shouldn't compare the free sat installations I sometimes do for friends and neighbors to what Mastec charges for Orby installs then... :rolleyes::biggrin

Reactions: bobvick
I really like this. Infact the general idea of this service sounds awesome of course I would miss some networks. But currently subscribe to Comcrap for a total of $250 a month.

Sure, why not? The diplexer doesn't care what gets hooked into it from what antenna. Except if you have an antenna preamp, they don't pass the power up the coax. At least I don't think they do.

That was going to be my next curiosity; what would someone using an antenna preamp do? Can the diplexer be located somewhere away from the dish?

That was going to be my next curiosity; what would someone using an antenna preamp do? Can the diplexer be located somewhere away from the dish?

You have to find a way to put the diplexer AFTER the point where you inject the power into the coax for the antenna preamp. Maybe right at the house ground block. After all, the power injector doesn't have to be right behind the tv set.

You have to find a way to put the diplexer AFTER the point where you inject the power into the coax for the antenna preamp. Maybe right at the house ground block. After all, the power injector doesn't have to be right behind the tv set.

Makes sense. I would think some people would want to use their own antenna, especially in fringe areas or if an outdoor antenna with preamp is already installed.

Makes sense. I would think some people would want to use their own antenna, especially in fringe areas or if an outdoor antenna with preamp is already installed.

It would likely entail two (maybe only one) much longer pieces of coax, one from the dish, and one from the tv antenna before they go into the diplexer, but it doesn't have to be placed right at the dish. Anybody with an OTA antenna system with preamp and such that they installed themselves should be able to figure it out pretty handily.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
If they get big enough, QVC, HSN and some "All Jesus all the time" channels will pay them to be carried. Help keep costs down.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: norman881
You can make an independent cable run if you want and place the diplexer as necessary. The preamp typically demands that the power inserter be indoors so you can put it anywhere up stream from the diplexer and go hog wild.

This is no different than you might do with a DISH DPP setup (assuming you're not already employing backfeeding on a Duo receiver).

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Update: Came into the shop this morning to find that the STB updated overnight. The SW version has today's date. The previous version installed on the STB by the factory was dated November, 2018.
View attachment 136840
Here is the kicker... The STB issues are resolved! Performed a system reset and went through the set-up without a hick-up. BTW, the 22KHz tone is no longer present. Did the STB only need to need to rest overnight (or take a break from me - LOL) or did a software update change something? Anyway, happy to report that like Bob's system, the STB is working flawlessly with the standard linear LNBF LO 10750.
:clapping :clapping :clapping

Going to take the ORBY TV to our ham radio club's Winter Field Day campout this weekend and set-up a TV in the social tent next to the coffee. I am sure that the visiting club members will have many questions about this new service. :biggrin

Will start a new thread about the technical specs when the ORBY TV LNBF and other equipment is installed.
Just setup my receiver it was having a hard time keeping the signal. I see the software date is Dec 20, 2016. Is there anyway to update from the internet or do i just need to leave it on and pointed at 117 until it updates?

Just setup my receiver it was having a hard time keeping the signal. I see the software date is Dec 20, 2016. Is there anyway to update from the internet or do i just need to leave it on and pointed at 117 until it updates?
OK I rebooted it and i saw it try to update. Kept failing. Ran a a coax from the LNB to the receiver. This removed all the coax in the RV. Once it had a direct run it updated fine and has been working really well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)