What is the difference between a SWM 8 switch and a SWM 8 splitter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dman10420

Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
minnesota
Why should I use a swm 8 switch that requires 4 lines when I could use a swm 8 splitter with only 1 line? I have used a swm 8 switch with the swm 4 expander, but is this the only thing a swm 8 switch should be used for?

The SWM 8 swicth allows you to hook up older "legacy" receivers to the SWM setup

The splitter you can't

Why should I use a swm 8 switch that requires 4 lines when I could use a swm 8 splitter with only 1 line?

But you DO realize you also have to have the SWiM LNB TO work with that SWM splitter.

I have used a swm 8 switch with the swm 4 expander, but is this the only thing a swm 8 switch should be used for?

- It's primarily used where a slimline sub ALSO needs international prog with the 95 dish, AND requires SWM technology. (it was also used for a short period of time for 72.5 local markets w/the 2nd 18" dish being combined w/a slimline, but those are NO longer being installed)

Other minor uses include:
- mixing legacy (non-SWM) receivers on a SWM setup as Ice mentioned; however, there are only 3 ports on the switch, & they do NOT pass the Ka signals
- wanting to mix an OTA signal in an SWM system w/diplexers at each receiver, however, this is NOT compatible with MRV &/or the coax internet connection; you can do the very same thing with a separate diplexer on an SWiM LNB

You are also aware that D* also makes SWM16 & SWM32 switches, so I'm not sure how long those SWM expanders will continue to be made

Question I have a SWM LNBF on my Dish, if I want to have more than 8 tuners with my installation can I just get a SWM 16 switch and connect it to my Single Feed from my SWM LNBF to support 16 tuners?

John

Question I have a SWM LNBF on my Dish, if I want to have more than 8 tuners with my installation can I just get a SWM 16 switch and connect it to my Single Feed from my SWM LNBF to support 16 tuners?

John
No. You would need to replace the SWM LNB with a standard LNB and then feed the four outputs to the SWM16.

My first job solo was a 9 out with a SWM 16......yikes

Not really anything to it.
Just as easy as hooking up a 6x8 IMO.

Now before the SWM 16 were available,
You should have tried the SWM expander for a first job.
That would have left you doing some head scratching and probably running home to mama.

Ok, let me break it down a little

The SWM LNB is only capable of running 8 tuners. (each DVR even though only use 1 line equals 2 tuners). Now, you can switch a DVR to single tuner mode subtracting a tuner if need be.
So if you have 4 DVR's and 5 Standards, and don't want the hassle of running new lines from the dish and changing out the LNB, then switch one of your DVR's to single tuner mode.

If you want to run more then 8 tuners, you will need a SWM 16 or a SWM expander.
Both of these use the Legacy LNB (the 4 line one).
After that, DVR's will use one line and you can have MRV and all that good stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts