what is this dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cruzin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
michigan
I was working in Traverse City last week and found a channel master dish in back of a building and real quick I threw it in the van! No not really I went in and ask and was told they did not need it any longer and I could have it. It is 40" wide and 42" tall. I hear terms such as 84e and others describing the dishes. Can someone tell me what would this dish be know as?This dish weighs in at 25 lbs with the mount. I would like to motorize this dish as it my be the lightest of my dishes with a mount that might adapt. Ive seen pictures of them with the mount turned upside down and a spacer used to take up the space for the 2 3/8 pole mount. And yet others have used angle and muffler and pipe clamps. I need to put in 2 more poles already.
Anyone tell me what this dish is known by, 84e, 94e ?? thanks for any info.

Attachments

• DSC01145.JPG
    DSC01145.JPG
    603.9 KB · Views: 248
Is there a mold number on the back? I would guess it's a 1 meter (100 centimeter) dish. Great find!

yep there is writings on the back. Will that tell me the info I want?

I grabbed a flashlight and went out and checked it you are 100% it says 1.0M
thanks
So then does this have a name other than 1 meter like the 84e?

common name: 1 m Primestar (round is implied)

The "e" in 84e means elliptical.
Those dishes are wider than they are tall.
I think the "84" is the dish width, in centimeters, where 2.54 cm = 1 inch (so around 33" wide)
They are outstanding commercial dishes, with many uses.
To match the beam pattern of elliptical dishes, you want to keep the original feedhorn, or be very careful with a replacement.

Your 1.0 meter dish is close enough to round we just call it that.
And, when viewed from the LNB holder, the dish actually -is- round.
Most any replacement LNB will match a round dish, too.
You can keep the original or replace it.

The only thing I'd prefer over a 1m ChannelMaster (or maybe a 1m Prodelin), would be a 1.2m commercial molded dish.
Either can be flung around with abandon by the DG-380 motor.

edit: I knew your dish from the thumbnail picture.
But then I zoomed in on it, and see it may have a single-polarity LNB.
There is some discussion on the forum about what LNB you can bolt to the original feedhorn.
Or, you can simply replace the whole mess with a regular LNBF.

The "e" in 84e means elliptical.
Those dishes are wider than they are tall.
I think the "84" is the dish width, in centimeters, where 2.54 cm = 1 inch (so around 33" wide)
They are outstanding commercial dishes, with many uses.
To match the beam pattern of elliptical dishes, you want to keep the original feedhorn, or be very careful with a replacement.

Your 1.0 meter dish is close enough to round we just call it that.
And, when viewed from the LNB holder, the dish actually -is- round.
Most any replacement LNB will match a round dish, too.
You can keep the original or replace it.

The only thing I'd prefer over a 1m ChannelMaster (or maybe a 1m Prodelin), would be a 1.2m commercial molded dish.
Either can be flung around with abandon by the DG-380 motor.

edit: I knew your dish from the thumbnail picture.
But then I zoomed in on it, and see it may have a single-polarity LNB.
There is some discussion on the forum about what LNB you can bolt to the original feedhorn.
Or, you can simply replace the whole mess with a regular LNBF.

thanks for the info, ya the original lnb is on it yet and not hooked up. i am in the process of moving the farm out farther from the house. I have 2 of the 1.2m muzak dishes up by the house and its too crowded so I am moving it all south about 70'. I am digging trenches and burying coax at the present. When done I will have the 2 1.2 muzak one cm 1.0 and a true focus 1.0 and my 7.5 bud what I am still working on. I have read up on motorizing one of these and I think the cm would be the best to do it too. the muzak dishes (I do not know who made them Prodelin I think) are real heavy and the true focus has a weird mount but others have motorized the cm. The only thing that concerns me is when turning the mount upside down and from what I see on the dg380 motor it does not have a alignment home through the motor arm to keep it from spinning within the mount. I wonder about drilling a hole through it after you have it zero'd out for your true south? any thoughts? thanks again for your reply.

There are some old threads talking about putting heavy Primestar dishes on SG2100 motors.
They typically removed all the mount, and then fashioned a few light weight brackets to hold the dish onto the motor shaft.
I think there were two or more long-running threads, but the one below will give you some ideas:

Primestar dish on an SG2100 motor:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/23072-primestar-dish-sg2100.html

DirtyShame pix of motorized Primestar mount:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/23072-primestar-dish-sg2100-6.html#post433312
http://www.satelliteguys.us/433312-post52.html

I would be a -lot- more comfortable using the DG380 motor.
And maybe even just invert the mount and use it as is.
One of the smaller 280 motors Sadoun sells might be adequate if you make your own mount.
That's a matter for discussion.
But, under no circumstances, would I advise use of the SG2100,...
... no matter what those brave souls show in their 2005 thread! - :eek:

Yup, those are fine dishes. Great find, Cruzin!

Here is an installation guide for that family of CM dishs.

Here is an old thread showing what I did with a .9 meter version of that dish, still holding up just fine.

...and a spec sheet for the 1 meter version, attached.

Attachments

• 1M.pdf
    165.1 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:

I could have got a 1 meter Commercial Prodelin new with a heater for $75.00 from my satellite buddy at Vincor a couple of years ago. I didn't get it since I didn't feel like planting another pole then. Now it would be nice to have and toss it on my Primestar pole for RTN. Nothing like bigger dishes.

Thanks for all the useful info folks! My wife is getting concerned about all the dishes! The other day she asked me if they were recycleable! I just told maybe we should just get rid of all tv...she did not have anymore comments.

man has last word:

My wife is getting concerned about all the dishes!
The other day she asked me if they were recycleable!
I just told maybe we should just get rid of all tv...she did not have anymore comments.
:D - :D - :D - :D - :D
I gotta remember that one, and quote you next time some member has the problem! - :up

You might want to replace the LNB on the dish if it turns out to be a single polarity model. The feedhorn uses a standard C-120 flange, so anything from a flanged Invacom to a stacked Superdish FSS LNB will bolt onto it. These are great dishes, generally superior to the elliptical models for bringing in hard to tune signals. Did your dish come with a roof mount?

we're all about the laughs... and the LNBs:

Well she likes this hobby better than my last one!
I read this as: "this wife likes my FTA hobby better than my last wife did".
... and I laughed 'till the milk came outta my nose! - :D

But, perhaps you meant: "my wife likes the FTA hobby better than my previous hobby".
Of course, that wouldn't be near as funny! - :rolleyes:

As to a recommended LNB, I was thinking the Hughes would be the simple way to go...
... the feedhorn shown in the picture, is for that 84e...

Attachments

• PrimeStarLNBac_1.JPG
    PrimeStarLNBac_1.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 106
You might want to replace the LNB on the dish if it turns out to be a single polarity model. The feedhorn uses a standard C-120 flange, so anything from a flanged Invacom to a stacked Superdish FSS LNB will bolt onto it. These are great dishes, generally superior to the elliptical models for bringing in hard to tune signals. Did your dish come with a roof mount?

I plan on a new lnbf. Im hoping for those DMX522 to come on sale as I have 5 receivers throughout the house and will end up with more dishes (4 ku and 1 c band) than 1x4 disecq switches can support and have 5 zinwell 6x8. Would jump on a sale of DMX522 dual linear lnbs. I have ku dishes at 123, 97,101 and 83 so far. c band is not finished yet. I wouldnt mind trying one of the QPH that will bolt to the feedhorn flange for this dish.

I read this as: "this wife likes my FTA hobby better than my last wife did".
... and I laughed 'till the milk came outta my nose! - :D

But, perhaps you meant: "my wife likes the FTA hobby better than my previous hobby".
Of course, that wouldn't be near as funny! - :rolleyes:

As to a recommended LNB, I was thinking the Hughes would be the simple way to go...
... the feedhorn shown in the picture, is for that 84e...

Same wife different hobby. I am a ham radio operator also and you know what a house of a ham that gets carried away can look like! I dont even watch that much tv myself its just the challenge I guess. Is that Hughes both v and h? It is probably only single not dual and I am wanting to run this into a zinwell.
From what I have read I should be able to run from
receiver to motor to 1x4 disecq to zinwell to 2 ports on zinwell 6x8. Leaving the other 3 ports of the 1x4 to go to other zinwells. One of my receivers is going to be left out being able to be hooked to all dishes. I have a office/ham shack with 2 coax going out so I will use one of them to just hook to either the c band or the motorized ku dish. Hope you can get a mental picture of what I am doing. thanks for the replies.

It had a roof mount there I could have had but I left it behind as no room in the van. I have my 83 dish attached to one now and it will end up on a pole sometime soon so I did not need it. It had a few hornets nests on it also.

Same wife different hobby.
Fair enough. You might see if she thinks my misinterpretation is as funny or not. :)
I am a ham radio operator also and you know what a house of a ham that gets carried away can look like!
Many of us here, are HAMs. I've had a ticket for a number of decades. - :up
I dont even watch that much tv myself its just the challenge I guess.
I watch a bit, but wifi wasn't all that big a challenge, and so satellite took it's place. - :rolleyes:
Is that Hughes both v and h? It is probably only single not dual and I am wanting to run this into a zinwell.
No, that one is single voltage-selected output.
The really old model that looks similar, has two outputs: vert and horiz.
Mostly, folks get rid of those oldies, so you might find some for free. - :D
From what I have read I should be able to run from receiver to motor to 1x4 disecq to zinwell to 2 ports on zinwell 6x8. Leaving the other 3 ports of the 1x4 to go to other zinwells. One of my receivers is going to be left out being able to be hooked to all dishes. I have a office/ham shack with 2 coax going out so I will use one of them to just hook to either the c band or the motorized ku dish. Hope you can get a mental picture of what I am doing. thanks for the replies.
Well, that was a bit confusing.
Please consult the Switches Simplified FAQ, for info on switches.
And while it's not discussed there, the 6x8 Zinwell is really a 4x8, so don't expect any more from it.
As best I understand, the other two inputs can only be controlled by an appropriate DirecTV receiver - not our FTA STBs.

edit:
Well, back to LNBs. You don't need to keep the existing feedhorn.
Another solution is to use a regular dual-output LNBF for Ku band.
Sadoun sells a model KUL2. It has the body at right angles, so see how that would fit mechanically. Think Iceberg has used a bunch.
SatelliteAV sells his SL2. It's a small diameter unit, that seems to be getting good results by the guys. Linuxman has a couple of dozen deployed.
WSI has a new model (orange in color, as I recall). It's regular size, and probably worth a try. DMX-522.

Well, back to LNBs. You don't need to keep the existing feedhorn.
No, but it is made for the dish and some would argue that it will give you better results. I have a Hughes that Anole mentioned on my 90cm. I have seen it somewhere with dual outputs for using on 2 receivers I believe.

And while it's not discussed there, the 6x8 Zinwell is really a 4x8, so don't expect any more from it.
As best I understand, the other two inputs can only be controlled by an appropriate DirecTV receiver - not our FTA STBs.
correct. The 6x8 is pretty much a 4x8. Only some directv receivers can control the two "flex" ports

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)