What makes a player 'soft?'

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
One of the terms I hear in sports are how some players and teams are termed as being 'soft.'

Two questions:

1. How do we define/consider a player as being soft?

2. Who are some examples of soft players?

Baseball players are generally soft. They get a paper cut and they're on the DL. If you miss time due to an oblique strain YOU ARE SOFT! Man up! If you play with a concussion or broken bones you are tough.

Baseball players are generally soft. They get a paper cut and they're on the DL. If you miss time due to an oblique strain YOU ARE SOFT!

Judging by that comment, you will NEVER hear anyone call Brian Westbrook soft.

Baseball players are generally soft. They get a paper cut and they're on the DL. If you miss time due to an oblique strain YOU ARE SOFT! Man up! If you play with a concussion or broken bones you are tough.

You must be talking about Hockey Players, they play thru ANYTHING.

btw, An oblique strain is nothing to laugh off, that does not make you soft.

But yes, generally baseball players are soft as far as the things they will not play thru.

Jimbo

LMAO!! When you have a rotator cuff problem....which to some that think only football is a "real sport"...try lift your throwing arm TO SHAVE....:rolleyes:

Try getting on the mound, with a quad pull...and pushing off that SAME LEG to throw. Ever try that? Try going behind the plate...and taking a foul ball off an area of UNPROTECTED skin after someone has throw in 90 mph? Better yet, have any of you guys ever hit against ANYONE that throw harder than 70 mph? Let's see, I was about 165 lbs when I took a fastball from a pitcher that threw in the middle 90s when I played college baseball....in the ribs. I was out 1 year with broken ribs....the 1st two WEEKS....I could not breathe.

Baseball players are not soft. MOST DEDICATED baseball players are in AS GOOD and some in BETTER shape than football players. Just because the sport is NOT dedicated to hitting something with a helmet...does not make it soft.:rolleyes:

THEY are on the DL because they use that hand TO THROW. I guess if a QB gets a cut on his THROWING HAND, he does not have to be as accurate to HAND OFF to a running back....:rolleyes: And to throw, you just need to be within a 15 sq feet area of a receiver and the receiver will do the rest FOR HIM....:rolleyes:

Next time you have a little soar throat or the sniffles....make sure you "man up" and go to work/school/whatever you do, instead of bitch out and call in sick....:rolleyes:;)

Dirk Nowitski....of the Mavericks. That guy refuses to play any defense and seldom does he drive to the basket. He is not known to do "the dirty work inside" when it comes to basketball.

IMO, being soft doesn't necessarily have to deal with your threshold of pain and ability to play through minor injuries. Being soft also involves not being able to control your emotions, temperament and focus when it matters most.

With that said, whatever the definition of soft is, Tiger Woods is the extreme opposite. Tiger has displayed both the ability to play through excruciating pain AND have the uncanny ability to not be shaken emotionally when the pressure is on.

Last edited:
IMO, being soft doesn't necessarily have to deal with your threshold of pain and ability to play through minor injuries. Being soft also involves not being able to control your emotions, temperament and focus when it matters most.

With that said, whatever the definition of soft is, Tiger Woods is the extreme opposite. Tiger has displayed both the ability to play through excruciating pain AND have the uncanny ability to not be shaken emotionally when the pressure is on.[/QUOTE]

Good example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)