WHAT MOTOR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeinBaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
San Diego area (CA)
OK, my knee is doing better and I need a project before I lose the rest of my mind!

I've decided to lose whatever is left of my KU FTA cherry and motorize one of my KU dishes. Have done a ton of fixed, but this is my first motor job.

Dish isn't huge (30"X32") but has been a great KU dish - currently parked on 97.

I think I understand the basics (level, true south, yada...) but what motor would you buy? Motor WILL be subject to wind and the salt air on a tripod mount (that I need to build)!

What would you buy today??

Well, I've used 2 of the DG-380 from Sadoun very successfully, but you should look at this special from our Gold Sponsor, SG9120B HH Motor .
For the money, it's hard to pass up. WSI is known here as having great after purchase support, if necessary. $60 for a motor from a reputable supplier IS a great price.
:)

I've certainly done business with WSI before, as well as the other (current & former) Gold Sponsors - so that's a known.

Question is - who has the BEST motor out there today?

My only small dish motor is a STAB-HH90, bought it out of Ottawa thru fleabay about 2 yrs ago. I paid
about $70 C with shipping, but I'm sure a new one will be a bit more. Italian made too!

Here is what I found on it a while back (fix the x's) hXXp://www.researchelectronic.com/download/motors/eng-hh90.pdf

I never had any troubles with it once it was properly set up. It hit everything reliably, using both USALS
and DiSEqC, as long as the receiver didn't forget anything! lol

I haven't used it much since last spring, since I was bit by the BUD bug! --> 10 footer with C/Ku lnb.

Today? I would buy the largest model they make, I think it's the HH120. It will take a 47" dish,
while the HH90 maxes out at 35". Eventually, you'll probably want a bigger dish too! lol

Hope this helps, good luck with the adventure!

I don't think there is a "Best Motor" as construction techniques in these things demonstrate they are built to be Cheapest not Best. There is none that stand out as being "The One To Get"
I would look at the support of the manufacturer/seller for my key to buying one. Now there are some newer models just came out and I'm not familiar with them but they appear to be just more of the same.

I don't think there is a "Best Motor" as construction techniques in these things demonstrate they are built to be Cheapest not Best. There is none that stand out as being "The One To Get"
I would look at the support of the manufacturer/seller for my key to buying one. Now there are some newer models just came out and I'm not familiar with them but they appear to be just more of the same.

Thanks. Your opinion pretty much mirrors my initial thoughts.

Anyone remember way back when - when there was really solid made stuff (that yes, cost a bit more more) but wore like pig iron? Ah, I miss those days.

So far so good for a SG9120 that I installed last summer. I had a SG2100 before with plastic gears, it wore to the point of to much slack within 6 months. The steel geared 9120 has been swinging my 1.2 meter just fine without the wear I encountered with the SG2100 swinging a 1 meter dish. BTW the SG9120B has the smaller mounting arm.
Bob

So far so good for a SG9120 that I installed last summer. I had a SG2100 before with plastic gears, it wore to the point of to much slack within 6 months. The steel geared 9120 has been swinging my 1.2 meter just fine without the wear I encountered with the SG2100 swinging a 1 meter dish. BTW the SG9120B has the smaller mounting arm.
Bob

I hear you. Am looking hard at the "B". Sent Robby a PM - should shipping really be pushing 1/3 of the cost? Geeze - this isn't an oversized dish!

From earlier threads, it's been noted that Robbie can only ship UPS from the warehouse. Probably USPS shipping would be cheaper but it's not available. My first motor cost me $129 plus shipping , 5 years ago. Prices have been steadily coming down on all this stuff.
:)

Mike,

The SG9120 / DG380 / HH120 would be my top choices. Read the specs on each and judge the prices. If you cannot make up your mind, flip a coin. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of them.

RADAR

If you were motorizing that heavy DirectWay, I think the DG380 would be the only choice. ;)
But for an average dish, the DG280 or SG9120 might be good choices.
See our review section for more discussions.
I have been happy with my STAB HH90, and always wondered what the big deal was with the myriad of 2100's and clones. :)

If you were motorizing that heavy DirectWay, I think the DG380 would be the only choice. ;)
But for an average dish, the DG280 or SG9120 might be good choices.
See our review section for more discussions.
I have been happy with my STAB HH90, and always wondered what the big deal was with the myriad of 2100's and clones. :)

No way would I think of putting a motor on the old DW dish. Even with the transmitter removed, that dude weighs a ton and is wicked nose-heavy.

I did order a SG9120B from the "authorized reseller" on fleabay. Free shipping and even after 8.75% CA tax it was still pushing 15% cheaper than buying direct - although, I really wish I could have supported them instead.

Roughed out the tripod mount today (low 70's here) but will wait to finalize it to make sure the dish will clear after mounting the motor. Time for a new thread with pics after the motor arrives?

No way would I think of putting a motor on the old DW dish. Even with the transmitter removed, that dude weighs a ton and is wicked nose-heavy.

I did order a SG9120B from the "authorized reseller" on fleabay. Free shipping and even after 8.75% CA tax it was still pushing 15% cheaper than buying direct - although, I really wish I could have supported them instead.

Roughed out the tripod mount today (low 70's here) but will wait to finalize it to make sure the dish will clear after mounting the motor. Time for a new thread with pics after the motor arrives?

Mike, Absolutely! Take pictures as you go with the installation and make up a "step-by-step" presentation. It will be valued!

RADAR

Are you going to give it a test-drive in San Diego, then move it to Mexico once you have some experience?
And yes, we will be wanting pictures! Why was that even a question? :)
Your opinions of the motor will be valuable, too.

Are you going to give it a test-drive in San Diego, then move it to Mexico once you have some experience?
And yes, we will be wanting pictures! Why was that even a question? :)
Your opinions of the motor will be valuable, too.

I'm going to do it at the MX house since that's where it will live. Take advantage of that sucky LOS too :)

Now that is FAST! Crazy FAST! :) Which motor did you pick and through whom did you order it? That is awesome regardless of how far it had to travel.

RADAR

Ordered the SG9120B from the fleabay reseller. Unit shipped in state - so I'm sure that's why it was so fast.

I did get a note from Robby today trying to make it work out. In retrospect, I do wish I had waited for Robby to get back to me. Dollars were the secondary issue (to a point) and I would much rather he had booked the sale.

Mike

Ordered the SG9120B from the fleabay reseller. Unit shipped in state - so I'm sure that's why it was so fast.

I did get a note from Robby today trying to make it work out. In retrospect, I do wish I had waited for Robby to get back to me. Dollars were the secondary issue (to a point) and I would much rather he had booked the sale.

Mike

I understand what you say, Mike.

Rob, we will make it up to you eventually for going outside the circle to buy.

I have bought from Robbie myself in the past and I know that he treats everyone extremely well.

It doesn't feel quite right buying anything from anyone other than our sponsors here, It feels like cheating on your wife! I don't know that first hand since I am not married. I think everyone understands, though. When it comes down to the availability of a specific product. If our sponsors here have the product I want, I would buy it from them first even if they charge me more.
I would do so because I know that I can trust their reputation. That trust is worth a great deal to me including a few extra bucks given to them. It is damn well worth the security in this regard. Pardon my French.

Sometimes we have to go outside this box of ours to acquire something unique. I don't think that our sponsors would chastise us for that. You wouldn't do that, would you?

Nawh! They all understand. We'll come back and buy something else from them over and over again. And we'll promote them to our old and new friends.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts