Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
I finally found a 10ft dish within a reasonable distance from home base and will pick it up in a week or so. The Seller said the receiver was an old Houston Tracker. I only have one picture so far, but it looks pretty good. Seller said no dings and was new in 2004.

Pole is 3 1/2" but seller is keeping it, which is fine by me. Ive got two poles waiting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 370
Looks exactly like my Perfect 10 ten footer. Except mine has some hail dents.

Manual is in files.

Last edited:
Ive been looking at these dishes for a while now, and it sure looks to me that several of these C Band mesh dishes look like they are brothers and sisters. Might have even come from the same mold or press?

Ill look in the manual section too.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

NICE FIND!!!

Don't know what brand it is but It's got a nice Von Weise mover on it that "should" be in fair condition. I picked up a Von Weise a few years back that was mounted upside down and the result of that and the inner tube seal being missing was the gear box filled with rain water and it froze and busted open. There's a water drain hole in the bottom of the outer tube mount at the gear box that allows water to drain through it if the inner tube seal leaks so always mount them with the motor UP.

NICE FIND!!!

Don't know what brand it is but It's got a nice Von Weise mover on it that "should" be in fair condition. I picked up a Von Weise a few years back that was mounted upside down and the result of that and the inner tube seal being missing was the gear box filled with rain water and it froze and busted open. There's a water drain hole in the bottom of the outer tube mount at the gear box that allows water to drain through it if the inner tube seal leaks so always mount them with the motor UP.

Yes, the seller indicated he had someone replace the actuator before he shut it down and went to the dark side (small dish), so it should be in good shape. I have not even seen this in person yet, i am relying on our telephone conversation and a picture or two. I told him SOLD!

60 Miles one way

Picked up my Craigslist 10 ft mesh dish and old HTS analog receiver yesterday. On the way there I did maximum Highway speed, but once loaded i took the back roads home at 45-50mph. Took an hr to get there and two hrs to get back. Made a pit stop in a parking lot before heading up the hill. Three of us lifted it off the old post very easily and placed it in the trailer. An old carpet piece tucked into the edge where the dish and trailer were braced saved scratching it once tied down. However, during the trip home a vehicle ran over something in front of me and it flew up over my cab and hit the dish! It put two cuts in the mesh that was otherwise pristine and like new.

Got it home and my son and I walked it off the trailer and set it down on the ground safe and sound. Lots of work to do before this project is done. The saga continues another day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 238
DAS BOOT?

Okay its not a boat, but why is such a huge weather boot, Or whatever it is on the actuator? I havent tried to take it off yet, but this looks like a huge actuator compared to others I have? Also, if there is a drain hole it would be inside the cover?

and notice that the wires are bent together with plastic ties at such angles I thought was a BIG NO NO?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 232
Why would you assume people would install dishes perfectly every time? It's not good to wrap wires like that, but since it isn't coax, it won't cause too much issues if any. That's probably a 36" actuator. Most people are used to 24" ones, but the old larger dishes needed longer ones to get the complete arc.

As for your torn mesh, use a body hammer with a block behind it if needed to flatten them back out nicely, then use some thin picture handing wire to sew them back together. If you do it right, it'll be barely noticeable, and won't cause any signal issues for c band anyway.

Why would you assume people would install dishes perfectly every time? It's not good to wrap wires like that, but since it isn't coax, it won't cause too much issues if any. That's probably a 36" actuator. Most people are used to 24" ones, but the old larger dishes needed longer ones to get the complete arc.

As for your torn mesh, use a body hammer with a block behind it if needed to flatten them back out nicely, then use some thin picture handing wire to sew them back together. If you do it right, it'll be barely noticeable, and won't cause any signal issues for c band anyway.

Your torn mesh repair idea looks like something I'll try. It's not too bad, so I'll do a little sewing.

Your remarks concerning all dish installations not being perfect, gave me pause, ;>) but I know you're right. And the installer did the same plastic tie clamping thing on the extra RG6 not used inside the LNB cover.

Thanks.

After due deliberation I decided to use the 12 ft pole to mount this 10 ft dish as whenever we again get rain, I mow the whole area I planted this dish this time and experience shows me I like to ride Under the dish without banging my head. So its down 4 1/2 ft where I hit granite or something real hard. That leaves 7 1/2 ft above ground. Drilled a hole one foot up from the bottom and bolted an eye bolt sticking out the side to keep it from turning. Five bags of concrete to fill my hole. I use two 2x4's at right angles to each other with duct tape at the pole end and concrete form stakes nailed at the other end. Two torpedo levels at the same right angles all the time while setting it and pouring the concrete.

oh, and whoever suggested to use picture hanging fine wire to sew up my dish mesh tears was right on the money! Worked like a charm. The mesh flattened right back to its correct shape

currently "resting on my laurels".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 234
Got my son over here last night and we set the dish on the pole. Not too safe as we had to do the two step to get up on the firm wooden platform, but we managed to set it on the pole very quickly.

today I went out and put the actuator back on, as I had removed it to test the motor. Lined up my due South direction with the dish and brackets. had to use a AC to DC power supply unit that puts out 13.8V to move the dish and align the brackets. I had already set the LNBF to where the manual for PERFECT TEN said it should be. I think the LNBF is off just a twitch horizontally, but not sure yet. Hooked my Super Buddy to the coax and LNBF and moved West a little to 121W as my due South Satellite is F3 @119W and there is no C band there anymore. BANG!!! LOCKED!!! Peaked the QUALITY and away I went.

decided to start going east which is a little complicated touching motorwires to the post of the temporary power supply. IT locked on every satellite all the way over to 91W without adjusting the mount! This dish was purchased 60 miles away so no changes appear necessary yet. I still have my fine tuning to do. I quit and will fine tune on other satellites further east of me tomorrow.

I may go back to the simple ONE out f connection to fine tune, as my dual would only work on VERTICAL during testing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    917.4 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    880.5 KB · Views: 243
I have decided to use 1" PVC for the conduit from the dish pole back to the house. Its cheap and I'll thread the cable/coax through the pipe as I put it together. My run is about 100 ft.

Also adding the 14 gauge 5 wire sprinkler cable. But after reading about a user suggestion of CAT5 cable for the sensor, I may thread that through too. I think I've got a couple rolls of that in my garage leftover. That way I can double the sprinkler wire for the 36V for the actuator and then use a couple wires of the CAT5 for the sensor.

Or, ... I also have somewhere a roll or two of alarm wire leftover from that self project several years ago. Which is better for the sensor wires? Or does it matter?

What do you think?

Great find T4Runner and a nice looking dish.
I wonder how much volume your 5 bags of concrete ended up making. Way back in 1984 when my first dish was installed the installers specs on that hole in the ground that I dug and set the pole ended up with the truck dropping 1-3/4 yards of mix. They also waited 2-1/2 weeks for the 'crete to cure before they put the dish on the pole. And that was only an 8 footer. You didn't set that up too soon did you?
Good thing that road junk didn't go through your windshield.:eek:
Oh, send some of that California sun and heat up here to cold Michigan so we can do dish work in November.
RT

5 bags of concrete is nowhere near enough to keep that dish planted safely. I'd be shaking every time the wind blew. I used nearly double that on my Perfect Ten, and wait 1 week before putting the dish and mount on the pole. I have to deal with loose sandy loamy type soil though. Concrete is CHEAP, digging the hole and getting it setup strong and correctly the first time is priceless. Having to redo it because it fell over, or a big wind blew it over, or it spun around in the wind is enough to sour you on the whole deal.

Last edited:
I guess time will be the proof on whether its going to be solid enough. The ground here is too hard to even dig until you put some water on it to soak in for an hour or so. I did bell out the bottom so thats where most of the concrete went. The pole is very solid and does not vibrate when the dish is moved, but i'm still in testing mode, so only using 12V and it moves slow. That will change when 36V is applied to the actuator. This is going to take awhile. I'm in no hurry.

With "concrete type soil" everything more than likely will turn out OK. Makes a big difference. Here, once you get past the top soil roots you find soft "gold sand" as most call it due to color, one needs more of a heavy, solid base. One very good thing is it sucks up heavy rain very well.

Have fun with your "new" toy.:)

RT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts