What receiver to buy and from where?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So what is the status of the Mini HD SE? I don't see any in stock at my favorite dealers. No longer being produced?

I'm out of stock hopefully more show up this week :) I should have the new geosatpro hdvr-3500 first look posted soon.

Which Amiko models have memory retention of time/timer settings for program scheduling, if any do? Or, other good or very good manufacturer-models that have the feature?

I miswrote my question, I meant to say: Which receivers retain the time and user-scheduled channel changing that were set prior to loss of electrical power?

None retain the time that I am aware of. You will want to look for a receiver that has IP based time. This way you could hook it up to your network and it will grab the time from the internet after a power loss.

Comparing to some AM/FM receivers, nonvolatile memory chips will retain preset stations when power is lost. Some clocks have nonvolatile memory to retain the time (bought one in the last year after searching for one with the specific feature).
xhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonvolatile_memory
EEPROM, a type of non-volatile memory:
xhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeprom#Other_devices

Last edited:
I am not aware of any STBs that have real time clock chips or nonvolatile time retention.

The Amiko mini HD RE like most STBs retain the timers along with satellite/transponder/channels, motor/switch settings and other user settings. Typically, only the time reference is lost. Most of us DVR users either substitute a power supply with battery back-up or purchase a STB capable of IP time setting.

None retain the time that I am aware of. You will want to look for a receiver that has IP based time. This way you could hook it up to your network and it will grab the time from the internet after a power loss.

My LinkBox 9000i has an internet connection but the time isn't synced to an NTP server and there is no option for doing so. I'm still waiting (hoping?) that they'll release firmware to fix that issue. It'll sync the properly using some transponders but not all. It's a PITA to remember to move the dish to a transponder that'll sync the receiver to them correct time. I don't know why internet based time wasn't put into the firmware when you consider that the receiver has an ethernet port. I'm still "fuming" over this issue. Can you see the smoke coming out of my ears? Finding a receiver with all the features that you want and are reliable and will have good support is going to take some doing.

I am not aware of any STBs that have real time clock chips or nonvolatile time retention.

The Amiko mini HD RE like most STBs retain the timers along with satellite/transponder/channels, motor/switch settings and other user settings. Typically, only the time reference is lost. Most of us DVR users either substitute a power supply with battery back-up or purchase a STB capable of IP time setting.

My GeoSatPro microHD won't maintain time regardless of using a backup power source.

Setting the microHD to manual time mode and maintaining a stable 12VDC source keeps the microHD time very accurate. Still use two for prime time DVR recording. Maybe reset the time a few times a year if I notice the timers firing more than a minute early/late.

The op probably won't be buying a microHD as they have been out of production for about 3 years.

Reactions: KE4EST
Setting the microHD to manual time mode and maintaining a stable 12VDC source keeps the microHD time very accurate. Still use two for prime time DVR recording. Maybe reset the time a few times a year if I notice the timers firing more than a minute early/late.

The op probably won't be buying a microHD as they have been out of production for about 3 years.

I just used a microHD to record some programs. I'm using a manual time set. At 1500 I recorded a program for 30 minutes. At the end of that time the time jumped ahead by about 30 minutes. It did that a few days ago also. Right now I don't think are any receivers worth buying. In my "humble" opinion, the current state of any electronic device is "junk". Anyway, I do have a PCIe card (TBS6922SE) that somewhat works on Linux but I did create a Windows 10 partition to use the card on and that wasn't impressive either. The available software lacks a lot to be desired also. At least the OS kept accurate time.

I have worked with hundreds of the microHD STBs and never have seen time jump in manual time mode. You have something very special there! LOL

If mine didn't do such great on multiple daily DVR recordings, it would have been retired long ago.

Do you keep the STB in operate mode or wake-up for the DVR recording? Was it parked on the channel or located on a different satellite before/after the recording?

Reactions: Larry1
I have worked with hundreds of the microHD STBs and never have seen time jump in manual time mode. You have something very special there! LOL

If mine didn't do such great on multiple daily DVR recordings, it would have been retired long ago.

Do you keep the STB in operate mode or wake-up for DVR recording?

Sometimes it's awake, sometimes not. Today it was on standby and it was actually late in starting the 1500 recording. I would buy something better if there was something that worked as promised.

Reactions: Titanium
Rereading,
...substitute a 12VDC router back-up battery power supply for the regular wall wart transformer
My receiver is a non-12VDC style, non-transformer 120V. Originally, I thought what was meant was the existance of a UPS wall wart in 120V output, not 12V output. In just searching, I have yet to see the existance of that style. I know larger UPSs exist.

I just came up with a selection of 200 to 350VA UPS to power the entire 110-125 watt entertainment area.

New predicament if a UPS was obtained: The average longevity of the batteries is 3 to 5 years similar to automotive batteries? Take care of one problem, introduce a new 3 to 5-year timeframe fix.
xwww.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158934 (3 to 5 year UPS battery longevity)

...In my "humble" opinion, the current state of any electronic device is "junk"...

...Standby mode plays havoc on ALI chipset STBs in manual time mode. Just part of the SDK code. Always keep mine in operate mode and never put in standby. :)

Operate mode = deactivating energy saver mode. :imconfused Make one feature work--continous, accurate time-- deactivating another useful feature, energy saver.

Last edited:
If the receiver you were using was a 12 VDC style then one of these Belkins would make an excellent backup:
Belkin USA Site
They were mentioned by member radio in this thread some time ago and many of us use them. Mine's still going strong almost three years later and it still has the original (used) battery. They are readily available cheap (<$30) on eBay. Of course it won't help with a receiver directly powered with 120 VAC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts