What should I use?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nicholas1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
South Kentucky
Hello everyone, hope you had a great day. I have a Channel Master dish mold 90M-1 and I am getting ready to order a motor for it. I am wanting to get as many channels as possible on this dish, so would a INVACOM QPH-31 be the best LNBF for this setup? I also looked into the mini bud setup but, I'm not sure it would deliver the results I want. I want to pickup sporting events this fall and winter with this setup. I also hope to pick up some of the wildfeeds from the games I want to watch. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I already know I need to weld up a new plate to mount to the back of my dish so I can attach the motor. My dish did not come with a pole mount but rather a rectangular steel vertical one for a roof mount setup with blocks for weights. My receiver is a CaptiveWorks 4000 HD.

Last edited:
For one opinion, I don't see that lnbf being very practical-there's very little circular KU up there for free, so I haven't seen a need for it. The pay-services may have a promo channel or two up there but is doubtful there would be any regular channels "temporarily free" for very long. I'm happy with a plain old linear ku lnbf. Click on one of the sponsor links at the top of the page and see how many different kinds they have to offer-most of them will pop right in the lnbf bracket on that CM dish (it's the exact same dish I'm using for my main scanning/watching dish). The purist will tell you the lnbf/feedhorn that came with the dish is the best one to use, and I have a couple of those in use also. Little difference in signal levels on most satellites in my experience.

Here's a picture of mine:

Attachments

• 00007r.jpeg
    00007r.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
If you have the original feedhorn and LNB (probably a single-polarity LNB), you can detach the LNB and waveguide from the feedhorn and mount any C-120 flanged LNB onto that feedhorn. I use the stacked Dish Network linear Ku-Band Superdish LNBs.

I have a DMX522 which is probably the best LNBF I have used. It will beat the QPH-031 for FTA performance hands down.

I don't think your receiver will do very well for FTA. You may want to look into an AXbox

Be aware that your receiver do not blindscan at all, better look at another choice of receiver before going any farther.

Tron said:
If you have the original feedhorn and LNB (probably a single-polarity LNB), you can detach the LNB and waveguide from the feedhorn and mount any C-120 flanged LNB onto that feedhorn. I use the stacked Dish Network linear Ku-Band Superdish LNBs.

I agree! Use the original waveguide and feedhorn with a LNB as suggested by Tron. This configuration will outperform any LNBF!

I have several lnbfs that I could try, one is a linear universal 0.2db. I went ahead and bought the QPH-31 for $45. I think it might be easier to find satellites if I have both the circular and linear on the same lnb when doing the setup. I hope to get this operational next Wednesday. I think I will use my Captive Works 700 receiver that has blind scan to pick up wild feeds and use the CW 4000HD on a 30" dish I have. If there is high definition channels available when sports are being played, I hope to get them on my HD tv with the 4000Hd receiver. Thank you guys for all your input.

I have a Channel Master dish mold 90M-1 and I am getting ready to order a motor for it.
I already know I need to weld up a new plate to mount to the back of my dish so I can attach the motor.
My dish did not come with a pole mount but rather a rectangular steel vertical one for a roof mount setup with blocks for weights.
I'm unclear what mount you have on the back of the dish.
Would you post some photos?
If you have the original mount, ya might want to get a heavier motor, 'cause the mount is so robust.
We have pages and pages with discussion and pictures showing how to make light weight mounts to use smaller motors.

I made my own mount today from a picture I found. Now after reading some info. on motor setup it says to set a dish elevation, I didn't make an adjustment for that so I will need to add it I guess. I downloaded a picture and saved it but, lost the URL. I will try and find it and post it on here. Here is where the pictures are found on here. http://www.satelliteguys.us/872786-post8.html I tried to post the pictures but, it would not let me for some reason.
872786-post8.html

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)