Can I make my 6ft offset 'bigger'?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trinidex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
This sure sounds crazy to me but what the heck...

I have a 6ft solid offset and I'm getting fringe reception on Ku sats.

8ft is too big for the wife, so I'm wondering if I can add 'wings' to my 6ft to extend the reception area - is that possible?

TIA

trinidex said:
so I'm wondering if I can add 'wings' to my 6ft to extend the reception area - is that possible?

TIA

Hehe i'd be worried it might fly away on ya.

Possible....yes, easy, I don't think so. Whatever "wings" you added would have to be shaped and placed to direct the reflected signal to your focal point.

Also, that would still make your dish bigger (like the 8 footer). :confused:

CD Prime Focus

8ft is too big for the wife, so I'm wondering if I can add 'wings' to my 6ft to extend the reception area - is that possible?

TIA

Easy fix. Just add CD's:D

Attachments

• 20090902101137464.jpg
    20090902101137464.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 302
seriously, now...

. . . I'm wondering if I can add 'wings' to my 6ft to extend the reception area
What Ku can you not get on a 6' offset dish?
Where are you located?

Since this wasn't posted in the BUD area, there is no assumption you are seeking better C-band reception...

Hehe i'd be worried it might fly away on ya.
It'd be a dumbo dish =D.

Trinidex said:

TIA

Yeah sure, i've seen it done by a couple of cuban guys and three or four more in México (one of them built a prime focus antenna from zero using wood, another one used concrete and had/has his antenna resting in the floor with the proper inclination and all, a real work of art LMAO).

They were very careful of the proportions of the original antenna (some have an ovoid form, like an egg, so you need to maintain those proportions).

Also you have to keep in mind: the focal point will be altered so you'll need to calculate it so as to use larger arms for the LNB and to determine the exact place so as to fully enjoy your bigger dish.

P.S.
Maybe it'd be easier just to "clone" a bigger dish using glass fiber, some time ago i saw tutorials on how to do that using glass fiber, aluminium and some other things... that if you could locate such tutorials.

Cheers

Mike

years ago I can recall seeing a picture of a Cband "dish" that was essentially are dug out bowl shaped hole in the side of a hill lined with some sort of reflective material and poles sticking out to hold the LNB.

years ago I can recall seeing a picture of a Cband "dish" that was essentially are dug out bowl shaped hole in the side of a hill lined with some sort of reflective material and poles sticking out to hold the LNB.

Like the radiotelescope in Arecibo?

arecibo.jpg

Kinda neat to have something like that =D

Trinidex, I'm with Anole on this one, what in the world are you aiming at that you can only get marginal Q with a 6' dish? Something low to the horizon? Is there a LOS issue? Or are you saying that you want to get more than 1 bird?
S

I guess that meaning bigger you are implying more gain. What type of lnb are you using. Maybe a better lnb like the Chaparral Feedhorn( w/servo) with a high gain lnb (100hz stability ) might be a better way to go about it.
Also like stated above if the footprint is not for you area, to improve gain you might need a much bigger increase in antenna size than 2 feet. What sat are you trying to get. What is your location and type of lnb, receiver you are using.
Maybe your antenna is not peaked, or trees degrading your signal.
I have an Andrews solid 6 ft dish that I can get everything from 12.5W to 129W. However there are some ku sats around 60-61.5W that have a footprint for S America(I'm in South Florida). Signal is belowsignal level to scan them in, and getting anything bigger would not work.
Telling us your location, equipment, and sat that you are trying to get will help us give you better advice.

I'm trying to improve my reception of DN61.5 and I'm getting problems on certain transponders being below usable quality.

perhaps adding a Conical Scalar Ring to your ku band lnb might improve your reception. It is an experiment that I have always wanted to try. If you tear apart a ku lnb, you will see one or two rings. Perhaps adding a third might increase reception.

61.5?
I was with Anole and Skyscanner on that one.... Then we come to find out this is in relation to a high power DBS orbital location.... There's something else wrong besides the dish size...

How about using a circular LNBF?

But, what good is 61.5 to FTA?

from some of his other posts he is a Dish sub...and from the posts I'd hazard a guess he's in Puerto Rico/Carribean, Canada or Mexico/Central America where a larger dish is required

perhaps adding a Conical Scalar Ring to your ku band lnb might improve your reception. It is an experiment that I have always wanted to try. If you tear apart a ku lnb, you will see one or two rings. Perhaps adding a third might increase reception.

i can do that - will try

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts