what size dish to buy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bloomdog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
I am done tinkering and I am going to buy a nice new KU dish. I am in the Boston area. Is there a significant difference between a 30", 33", 39" and 1.2 meter dish as far as what I will be able to view and the quality (only interested in KU FTA):hatsoff: ? I am using a Coolsat 4000 Pro receiver. Thanks for thoughts and advice.

The bigger dish will do 2 things
-help with rain fade
-bring in the weaker signals better

It wont bring in the strong signals any better. A 36 or 1m dish would be a good upgrade :)

I installed a 30" dish yesterday, I looked at the signal quality on a specific transponder and satellite.

When I got home and looked at the signal quality on my 36" dish, there was around a 4% signal quality increase.

Does not sound like much but every little helps!

Considering that you're on the east coast, and no doubt will want to have nice shot at G10R ( 123W), I'd recommend a minimum 1m dish for you, and a 90cm for me ( in Michigan ) . I originally bought an 80 cm and wish I'd gone a size larger.

Happy hunting
:)

Buy the biggest you can use now! if you know that a 1.2 is the max you can fit in your yard, get it.

Trust me, you will always want to go bigger later on

First you must calculate the WAF for the satellite dish. There are several ways to determine the WAF, but the best way that many hobbyists have found to calculate this is as follows.

Plan on investing at least one evening and understand that once you commit to finding the WAF, you will not be able to quit midway through the process.

Book a reservation at you wife's favorite restaurant, have a bouquet of roses waiting at the table when you arrive. Order the finest wine, ask her about her day, offer to take her shopping at Macey's with an unlimited spending limit, hand her a certificate to a day spa for her and her best friend, etc......

Then tell her about your new hobby ......

Ah, yes ...... The WIFE APPROVAL FACTOR! LOL!

Whatever happened to the good ole days, when you clubbed her over the head, and grabbed her hair, and she pretty much followed you where ever you went?

Al

I concur with the bigger dish idea. I should get one soon, as some signals are weak for me in South Florida.

Not only that, there is a gain factor for C-band listed on the specs for the Fortec 1.2 meter dish. If you read the specs for that dish, you will see that there is some gain for C-band, which in theory, you should be able to pick up a few signals in that area. There are a few people on here experimenting with C-band and 1.2 meter dishes. Give it a shot. Let us know.

I recommend getting the Andrew 1.2m or Channel master 1.2m which is the same, it will outperform the Fortec dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.