What wiring changes will be required for Hopper 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The dph WA triple is for the *1000+* and provides the 110, 119 and 129 orbitals. There is an input on the lnb to allow for wing dish installs including the 118

True, more specifically both the DPH WA triple and EA twin are only for the Dish "1000.2"

Those who require 118.7W for internationals on the WA or locals from 77W on the EA must use wing dishes.

A Dish 500+ for 118.7W and a Dish 500 or 300 with DPP LNBs for 77W.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

True, more specifically both the DPH WA triple and EA twin are only for the Dish "1000.2"

Those who require 118.7W for internationals on the WA or locals from 77W on the EA must use wing dishes.

A Dish 500+ for 118.7W and a Dish 500 or 300 with DPP LNBs for 77W.

Thanks

Dish is limiting accounts to only one H3. Super joeys are not compatible with the system and they will not build a H3 work order with a super joey. Once it launches it will be a true single line system from the dish for less than the price of the h2 and sj. Honestly why would you need two h3? A 5 person household can watch at the same tim, plus record one show per person WITH PTAT recording and still have 5 tuners free. Honestly... I don't see a need for a second hopper.

Dish is limiting accounts to only one H3. Super joeys are not compatible with the system and they will not build a H3 work order with a super joey. Once it launches it will be a true single line system from the dish for less than the price of the h2 and sj. Honestly why would you need two h3? A 5 person household can watch at the same tim, plus record one show per person WITH PTAT recording and still have 5 tuners free. Honestly... I don't see a need for a second hopper.
Yeah, I would guess that if the DPH LNB detects an H3, which should be connected to port 1, on power up, it switches to the new "DPZ" individual xpndr stacking mode resembling DIRECTV's SWiM method to supply up to 16 tuners. And port 2 becomes disabled so couldn't supply another H3 anyhow ...

Dish is limiting accounts to only one H3. Super joeys are not compatible with the system and they will not build a H3 work order with a super joey. Once it launches it will be a true single line system from the dish for less than the price of the h2 and sj. Honestly why would you need two h3? I doubt they built the new dph equipment with that in mind. A 5 person household can watch at the same tim, plus record one show per person WITH PTAT recording and still have 5 tuners free. Honestly... I don't see a need for a second hopper.
It is not the need for more tuners that some customers would want more than one Hopper 3. I can see a family wanting a second Hopper 3 for children to keep it separate from the parents Hopper. For myself I would like a second Hopper for backup in case of Hopper failure. I think the Hopper 3 sounds like a home run and is why I will stick with DISH and wouldn't even think of going to Direct. DISH I think is much better and more advanced than Direct. It just really pisses me off they don't do it right from the get go. They come out with a SJ but restricted it to one Hopper. Now DISH has a really neat Super Hopper and limits it to one per account. Hell, they might make more money by selling more Hopper 3s if folks can have more than one. Folks now days have two cars, two kiddos, two TVs, two homes, etc. Come on DISH, you knew there would be some customers that would want more than one Hopper 3. Really disappointing.

Evidently the 16 tuners is near the stacking limit for the new hybrid lnb, so the lnb will not support a second H3 (all speculation).

If you want 2 h3's set up 2 accounts - two dishes, 2 H3's.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Maybe there will be a "Hopper 3/2" where they limit the number of tuners to eight, allowing two such DVRs to be added to an account, but I would think the best thing about the Hopper 3 is the elimination of programming two Hoppers to coordinate recordings between them and the Joeys. Much simpler to have only one Mother Hopper talking its Joeys.

And why the Hopper didn't have this feature out of the gate? Well, this sounds like some pretty slick technology, pulling the requested transponders out of the six possible satellite streams (WA, three positions, Even/Odd) and putting them together to feed back over the one 3 GHz RG6. Possible and feasible now; perhaps possible years ago, but too expensive and therefore, not feasible.

Now, to having separate Recordings for "Adult" and "Child" Joeys: That sounds like a great idea, somewhat akin to Microsoft's "ABE" (Access-based Enablement) where files are invisible if you don't have minimum access rights to the file. You look at your recordings from the "Adult" Joey and you can see all the TV-MA and R material. Your children use their Joey and all they see is the G and TV-6 programs. That would be nice.

Evidently the 16 tuners is near the stacking limit for the new hybrid lnb, so the lnb will not support a second H3 (all speculation).

Not really speculation. Scott has stated that as fact multiple times.

Thanks Jim5506, I might do that. Will wait to see what DISH is going to do for MDUs and maybe some more new DHP equipment that might be coming out.

I can remember when I and others said the original hopper should of come with 5 - 6 tuners. DISH answer was hopper 2 and the superjoey that gave you 5 tuners. But I never expected the new technology to provide 16 tuners in hopper 3. Amazing technology.:clapping

And why the Hopper didn't have this feature out of the gate? Well, this sounds like some pretty slick technology, pulling the requested transponders out of the six possible satellite streams (WA, three positions, Even/Odd) and putting them together to feed back over the one 3 GHz RG6. Possible and feasible now; perhaps possible years ago, but too expensive and therefore, not feasible. ...

Well I feel it may have been more of a pride thing for Dish in that they just didn't want to be seen as copying from DIRECTV's choice of the Channel Stacking Switch (CSS) technology with their SWiM system. So decided to stay with their conventional frequency stacking approach by going from DPP to "Dish Pro eXtreme" (DPX) for the original Hopper and Hopper 2 (or HWS).

The problem though is obvious ... stacking whole 500 MHz wide frequency blocks atop one another will quickly eat up the 950-3000 MHz bandwidth on the RG-6 host cable to the Hopper at only 3 stacked blocks.

Therefore, needless to say Dish had to go with their own CSS type switch in the new DPH LNBF to supply those 16 tuners in the Hopper 3.

Not really speculation. Scott has stated that as fact multiple times.
Though I'm curious as to why here?

DIRECTV now fits up to 22 tuners within only 950-2150 MHz on the coax for their latest LNBs.

Dish has 950-3000 MHz on the coax to work with for the Hopper's tuners. Why would only 16 tuner support need fill up the bandwidth?

Well I feel it may have been more of a pride thing for Dish...
Or, better yet, a Licensing issue. Maybe the Echostar Engineers were trying to figure out how to replicate CSS without infringing on existing patents.

Dish/EchoStar haven't been sued by anyone so far this year; they're overdue...

Or, better yet, a Licensing issue. Maybe the Echostar Engineers were trying to figure out how to replicate CSS without infringing on existing patents.

Dish/EchoStar haven't been sued by anyone so far this year; they're overdue...
But I'm sure Entropic Corp. (inventor of the CSS) would have loved to sign a deal with Dish too at the time for their technology?

But I'm sure Entropic Corp. (inventor of the CSS) would have loved to sign a deal with Dish too at the time for their technology?
emoji6.png
Entropic works with both Directv and Dish.
See, that's why I come here, to get educated! If you Google CSS, all you see is HTML tutorials and code classes!

I think this is the maximum for a Hopper 3 & wired Joeys:

dph_home_seventvs_1hopper_7joeys.jpg
I have the original Hopper at my house with 2 Joeys.

This spring/summer, we will be building a new house and will be doing the wiring ourselves. So if I am looking at this correctly, when I run the RG6 coax... I only need to make ONE run to the dish? In my current setup I have TWO runs to the dish.

So ONE run will do for this new setup?