What would happen if DISH drops Viacom?

Dish will be hit way harder.
People will drop dish, and go where they can get what I want.
Plain and simple.
Only the fanboys will stick around.
Plain and simple.

No, that's the whole point of the articles being written, plain and simple. It's not anyone here or affiliated with DISH who is reporting the cable companies who have dropped Viacom. And while not representative of subscribers as a whole, I don't see or expect to see to many posters much upset about the loss should it happen. Take some time and see the problems facing Viacom instead of being troll like with your fanboy remarks.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/viacom-is-floundering-creatively-heres-why-115900.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-viacom-mtv-sumner-redstone/

http://www.economist.com/news/busin...mpire-looks-ever-more-uncertain-autumn-sumner
"Cable and satellite operators, who pay networks’ owners for the right to carry them, are less likely to agree to high prices for channels with declining audiences and fewer hit shows. Two small cable companies, including Suddenlink, have dropped Viacom. “If Suddenlink can survive without Viacom, why can’t a larger cable company?” asks Benjamin Swinburne, an analyst at Morgan Stanley. New entrants to the pay-TV market, which may soon include Apple, are beginning to offer “light” bundles: instead of charging subscribers a fortune for dozens of channels they rarely watch, these offer a cheaper, more limited selection. If these take off, network owners like Viacom may have a struggle to ensure their channels are included in them."

I just looked up the list of Viacom channels and wouldn't miss even one of them. In fact, if Viacom were to disappear from the Dish lineup today, I wouldn't even notice. BTW, why is this issue presenting itself? Is it due to demands by Viacom for increase carriage fees? If so, It doesn't seem that they have much leverage.

I just looked up the list of Viacom channels and wouldn't miss even one of them. In fact, if Viacom were to disappear from the Dish lineup today, I wouldn't even notice. BTW, why is this issue presenting itself? Is it due to demands by Viacom for increase carriage fees? If so, It doesn't seem that they have much leverage.

I bet Dish doesn't mind these kind of articles at all, because it makes them look pro-consumer and gives them leverage when negotiating with Viacom. It'd be interesting to see if perhaps Dish could get Viacom to agree to only include one or two of their networks in Dish's packages (with a few shows available on VOD/online) and then sell a "Viacom All Access" package for $5/month or so that gives subscribers all the Viacom channels plus VOD & online app full access to the same channels. And then the Viacom package would be available to add on to any other package, like Heartland or Epix. Perhaps they could also get Viacom to add its programming to Sling TV, either as a Viacom Package, or by adding Viacom channels to the various Sling Extra packages.

I wonder if TV Land's dropping of "The Dukes of Hazzard" contributed to Viacom's decline or was the decline already in progress?

I doubt it had much to do with them pulling a 35 year old TV show off the air. Some older people might boycott them over that but I highly doubt most of the MTV/Comedy Central/Nick audience even noticed that it happened.

But small cable companies often don't have other cable companies in their market .
I don't think anyone here would suggest that Dish would suffer no losses. The question is, who would suffer more? If Dish and Viacom didn't come to an agreement, Viacom is in serious trouble. They lose maybe 10% or more eyeballs they need to get bucks for advertising. Losing Dish makes losing the other big cable/sat/FIOS services more likely. That creates uncertainty. The Stock Market hates uncertainty.

More to the point, there is one other aspect of an agreement, the future of television and SlingTV. This agreement will almost certainly include SlingTV rights. Dish and all providers are losing subs. SlingTV will be gaining subs. SlingTV will be a way to help Viacom see a pickup instead of across the board loss in viewership among all of the cable/sat they are on.

So Viacom can ask for too much, take a sharp loss on Dish subs, lose SlingTV, and create uncertainty while their stock is hurting... or they can negotiate a fair rate, get onto SlingTV to help buoy viewership numbers and do better. Dish would lose subs, but the loss to them would be smaller than it would be for the long-term with Viacom.
I wonder if TV Land's dropping of "The Dukes of Hazzard" contributed to Viacom's decline or was the decline already in progress?
Pretty certain that 0% of the loss was related to the Dukes of Hazard.

I thought Dish and Viacom already have a new contract in place anyway.
You're thinking of the DIRECTV settlement reached three years ago as DISH went to battle with AMC.

I read an article where Suddenlink experienced a .75% exodus when they dropped Viacom and it seems likely, given the climate, that those additional losses may have been coming anyway.

Reactions: Troch77
Let's says Viacom is $10/subscriber.

Realistically each package would be dropped by $5 with no yearly Feb increase. If Viacom is so stupid to let Dish drop them when they have no leverage to ask for rate increases they let them die. Viacom is a prime example of a company that needs too consolidate their channels into just a couple channels.

MTV (MTV, MTV2, MTV Jams, MTV Hits, mtvU, VH1, VH1 Classic, Palladia)
MTV Tres
BET (BET, VH1 Soul, BET Gospel, BET Hip-Hop, Centric)
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Epix
CMT (CMT, CMT Pure Country)
TV Land
Nick (Nick and Nicktoons)
Nick2 (Nick Jr. And TeenNick)

Cuts out 14 channels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would only hasten the day to when I drop Dish and all other cable/satellite services for streaming services. There is not enough out there yet, but it is coming. I'm hoping to make the jump when my contract expires in early 2017 depending on what's available.

Reactions: Tyralak
I wonder when we wills ee the first post from someone saying that tehy spoke to their attorney friend and they think that a class action suit against DISH would be successful.

Read article earlier. Times have changed and the media companies need the MVPD's more than the MVPD's need the channels. There are so many channels that whenever Dish drops a group of channels, we just watch the others, instead, and this is because we do NOT want our bill to go up or at least not go as high as it would if Dish just payed what was demanded. It's clear, the media companies are hurt far more by having their channels dropped from an MVPD than minuscule defections from an MVPD as a result.

Viacom will find some deal, even if it takes the channels away from Dish for some short period. However, I really don't watch many of the Viacom channels, so I would not miss them that much and often find other channels I'd never viewed much to be excellent alternatives or great finds.

Dish will be hit way harder.
People will drop dish, and go where they can get what I want.
Plain and simple.
Only the fanboys will stick around.
Plain and simple.
But nobody is watching the Viacom owned channels. They are all at Disney owned and A&E owned and even Scripps owned, but Viacom aint the "king of content" it was.

Dish will do as DIRECTV did and. It hesitate to drop them. The question is will Viacom come back eventually and go with what dish wants like they did with DIRECTV. I am guessing yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts