What would I get?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

arachide

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
I have been reading this forum for a while, but guess I still don't quite get it (FTA). What channels can I expect to get? I live on the West Coast, about 10 miles south of San Francisco. Is there a way to decipher the Lyngsat channels http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html to figure out what is available at my location ? Do I have any chance of watching some of the European channels way out here in California?

And curious, for those of you watching FTA what type of programming do you tend to watch? Are there any sporting events?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am interested in the hobby. Reminds me of shortwave listening when I was younger.

arachide said:
And curious, for those of you watching FTA what type of programming do you tend to watch? Are there any sporting events?

-I like the news feeds...live and uncut
-There are some UPN & WB networks up there. Since I dont have a UPN or WB Over the Air or on Dish Network, this helps out
-Tons of Sports feeds....you never know what you'll see.
-International programming

There are some European channels available, like RTPI from Portugal, GOL TV 24/7 Spanish and South American soccer, I have seen a few European sports feeds, one lasted 5 hours, loads of sport feeds from around the country. Its worth it alone for the news feeds, 24/7 music videos, radio channels, its A LOT like the old shortwave days, thats how I got into this, I still have my trusty scanner right here beside me, its a continuation of the radio hobby IMO, you will not be disappointed and an entry level system is very reasonably priced, put it this way you would be hard pushed to get a scanner for the same price : )

How do you determine which channels on the Lyngsat list are available. I see WGN-DT listed- I'd get a system just for the Cubs games!

You get most of the green channels that say DVB beside them and have a five figure Freq. let me have a look.........

I dont know if WGN-HD is still FTA right now. I havent done a scan of 82 recently to see if it locks up my ststem :)

That channel is on Nimiq 2 satellite it seems to be in the clear, BUT you would need a DBS LNB ( a dual bracket can be added to the dish to hold both LNB) and its a white channel I think that means its analog, this means you would need an analog receiver to pick it up, they can be added to your digital system really cheaply, I got mine for free! Tony will go over my findings and confirm.

Whoops it must be digital FTA the color threw me, its light grey not white : )

WGN-HD is supposedly in the clear but you would need a receiver or card that does HD

I'll check it this weekend to see if its still FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)