What would make you happy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boston area dtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
Boston
I remember an episode it was either Married with Children or the Sitcom with the dumb stuffed animal bunny that live in the basement...anyway in the episode they asked the guy what he wanted...and said I want a big screen tv and a remote..the kind of remote that learns from other remotes. I could relate.

We do a lot of whining and bitching about D*. We complain about everything from HD lite, the lack of an MPEG 4 DVR, to the lack of HD programming.

My question to everyone is what would make you happy? If you could be granted one new HD channel what would it be?

Me, Id like NESN in HD with the sox coming up.

boston area dtv said:
I remember an episode it was either Married with Children or the Sitcom with the dumb stuffed animal bunny that live in the basement...anyway in the episode they asked the guy what he wanted...and said I want a big screen tv and a remote..the kind of remote that learns from other remotes. I could relate.

We do a lot of whining and bitching about D*. We complain about everything from HD lite, the lack of an MPEG 4 DVR, to the lack of HD programming.

My question to everyone is what would make you happy? If you could be granted one new HD channel what would it be?

Me, Id like NESN in HD with the sox coming up.

Unequivocally

National Geographic HD

1a. End of all blackout rules. (this falls in a lot of laps; not really DirecTV)
1b. End of the current DMA model setup (OK thats the NAB, GOV/FCC)
2. Add 3 or 4 national HD channels by 2/25/2006
3. Faster rollout of HD locals; top 80 markets by NFL pre-season 2006!
4. A firm documented explanation on the HD-lite issue; why, how long, true specs. Publish it.
5. Include the HD pack in the TC Prem at the current cost; $5.99 add-on in others.
6. Reopen the hardware market to whoever wants to make a quality product, marketable with their names so we can CHOOSE.

Well a start would be to add CSN Chicago HD channel to the Chicago market ASAP. OK, so they can't add national HD channels until 2007 so why not give us this channel on the MPEG4/KA band where they're supposed to have bandwidth available?

I would just like some clear direction by D* and a universal plan for the roll out of the HD. A complete HD package and a customer friendly approach, thats all.

So how do we go about it? Do we pester constantly? Do we write, do we call?

Charper I read your posts and I dont mean just this thread. You have a good grasp of things..What do you we do?

Lets go Im angry fatman who is bored with my HD content...by the way next Wednesday at 7 on National Geogaphic ..Hornets from Hell those things are awesome! Would love it in HD

I run a small tech company and a custom gourmet coffee business; I also try to assist my wife and her mother on their business, but end up just doing their paperwork.

I too would like to see more compelling HD programming offered not channels like VOOM,but something GOOD !! But what worries me the more HD offerings that are made available I just hope the package prices don't go through the roof.If I would have stayed with E* and took their new up-coming HD Pack my bill would have gone up almost $30 a month.That would have been for 2-Worth while channels ESPN2-HD and UHD,and rest would have been all the Voom junk {IMHO} which I did not want to start with.I cant imagine what 8-10 additional major networks in HD would run price wise. Because you know they wont be added on for free.

rad said:
Well a start would be to add CSN Chicago HD channel to the Chicago market ASAP. OK, so they can't add national HD channels until 2007 so why not give us this channel on the MPEG4/KA band where they're supposed to have bandwidth available?

I like this route, Since I am in LA market it would be Fox Sports Net HD for me which I am sure I would enjoy although I am not familiar with this channels HD lineup. TO go further into the Mpeg 4/KA band where they are suppose to have bandwidth why not also include WB, UPN, PBS & whatever other channels there may be in your area to the markets where they are available. If D*s push is LIL why not release it all, especially with E*s big HD push right now.

As far as a straight national HD channel goes I'd love to get INHD.

How about an HD-Movie package. Put HBO-HD, SHO-HD, Starz-HD as a package for $12/month and I'll buy it. I don't subscribe to any of them now because when I had them, I only watched the HD channels, not the other HBO's and Showtime channels. $12/month (or $11, or $10, etc) is too much for 1 channel.

Other than that, I'd just like more national HD channels. I don't really care if DirecTV thinks they're "crap" or if they're HD-Lite (for now). I know some people say there's nothing good on this channel or that channel. I'd at least like to have that choice. You're not going to get everyone to agree on which channels to add. But let's at least add some.

-JustBob

Since most of my current (non-OTA) HD viewing is DiscoveryHD, I would like to see National Geographic HD added to the D* HD pack. :)

A la carte pricing so I could let say choos 20 channels for $X then I am not paying for anyhting I would not use. Pretty much return all HD channels to full resolution and even offer a 1080p Movie PPV channel which pretty much would remove any desire to go to the movie theater.

Let us have a day certain time frame for what is going HD.
I want TBS

On the other hand they better not start raising the price for HD every time a new channel goes on line. That would be a bunch of crap.

Exciting Time

We currently do not have HDTV source other than cable or satellite. This is going to change, when blue-ray (or HD-DVD) DVDs are released in the spring/summer. I am sure that many will possibly complain about 1080i with cable/satellite after HD DVD release. Clearly we are in a transition period to HDTV. The most important event will be the emerging of PC for home entertainments. We are in an exciting period of time. Be patient!

AHHH nice one, ad al la cart to my list as well! Forgot about that old c-band chestnut!

TBS is a local area only OTA indy in the ATL area right? Maybe on that area's cable cos but not up for mass marketing.

Starz-HD
TNT-HD
Cinemax-HD
TMC-HD

and everything they give us at full resolution

charper1 said:
5. Include the HD pack in the TC Prem at the current cost; $5.99 add-on in others.
6. Reopen the hardware market to whoever wants to make a quality product, marketable with their names so we can CHOOSE.

#5 IMHO It should be free alltogether

If they have an SD version of the channel The HD version should be free, also it should sulimucasted with the SD channel
The same way it done with HBO & Showtime HD

Is anyone with me on this ? :rolleyes:

these channels are

TNT HD
Discovery HD Theater
ESPN HD
ESPN 2 HD
Universal HD
MTV HD

And #6 i agree ;)

More National HD channels
Lower cost of HD package
Get rid of the 2 year commitment, or any commitment for that matter
More advanced receivers (better DVR's)
More knowledgeable customer service reps

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)