Whats for breakfast?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Actually, based on posts here, I bought a waffle maker since my son, who is temporarily living with us, loves waffles. After about 3 or 4 such meals, he lost interest. However, my wife and I.......

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
I'm trying to eat healthier, so for the last two weeks I've had Whole Foods bulk oatmeal every morning (with a touch of Brown sugar).

I love oatmeal, so I don't mind this healthy change.

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
Enjoy the cholesterol and high blood pressure! No need to knock someone for making seemingly healthier choices.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I'm trying to eat healthier, so for the last two weeks I've had Whole Foods bulk oatmeal every morning (with a touch of Brown sugar).

I love oatmeal, so I don't mind this healthy change.
Yep, I too am doing the stone ground oatmeal and brown sugar 2-3 times per week...switched fromt he instant Quaker processed oatmeal w/brown sugar...much better.

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
I like the Irish Steel Cut Oatmeal...

518G3PRA6ML.jpg

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Porridge...

What brand of oatmeal?
I buy two kinds...and it's actually steel cut. Just like HD, I like McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal. I usually soak these overnight and it cooks-up in 10-12 minutes...otherwise it would take 30-minutes. The other brand I buy is Millville "Quick Cook" Steel Cut Oats...which doesn't need to be soaked and cooks much faster. Both are good...just a bit different - like the difference between grits and quick grits, I suppose. I prefer McCann's (coarser), but others prefer the "quick cut" (which are creamier).

Interesting tidbit: I've always heard the term "porridge" and have always equated it to being a form of lumpy cream of wheat that was force-fed to all the orphans. Well, I recently discovered (at age 46) that porridge was, for the most part, steel cut oatmeal and milk. However, there is just something so very wrong with telling people that I am eating porridge for breakfast. ;)

Anyway, enjoy your porridge. :)

starman345

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 25, 2004
New Brunswick, Canada
I buy two kinds...and it's actually steel cut. Just like HD, I like McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal. I usually soak these overnight and it cooks-up in 10-12 minutes...otherwise it would take 30-minutes. The other brand I buy is Millville "Quick Cook" Steel Cut Oats...which doesn't need to be soaked and cooks much faster. Both are good...just a bit different - like the difference between grits and quick grits, I suppose. I prefer McCann's (coarser), but others prefer the "quick cut" (which are creamier).

Interesting tidbit: I've always heard the term "porridge" and have always equated it to being a form of lumpy cream of wheat that was force-fed to all the orphans. Well, I recently discovered (at age 46) that porridge was, for the most part, steel cut oatmeal and milk. However, there is just something so very wrong with telling people that I am eating porridge for breakfast. ;)

Anyway, enjoy your porridge. :)

Interesting, when I was growing up, we always called it porridge at home but I never hear that anymore, its always oatmeal. I'm going to have to try some of these brand names I haven't heard of before,

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
While not an actual breakfast because of my working midnights I had a nice big bowl of chicken salsa soup yesterday that my wife made and damn was it good.