What's for dinner ?

Authentic Carne Asada tomorrow...

I'm tenderizing the flank steak and prepping the lime juice and chili marinade as we speak...

made some ox tail tonight with plenty of jalapenos and green peppers with Tabasco sauce. hmmmm.

Well, the wife was in class tonight...so its just me...that means BRING ON THE HEAT !!

Took some of the left-over carne asada marinade from the weekend. (heavy in lime and cilantro) and cut it with 1 part tequila and thru in my last two garden jalepenos, minced...

I let some chicken drumsticks soak in that for about a hour and grilled them up...I'm enjoying them right now watching the end of the Cubs game...:hungry:

I've got two more jalapenos on the vine, along with two banana peppers and two poblano. I'm thinking that in about two weeks I'll pick them and stuff them with some chihuahua cheese and whatever else I dream up (a friend said I should wrap them in bacon and grill them.) and chow down on them on a game day....:up

Wife's birthday is next week, so this weekend she will be getting a grilled piggy-back lobster tail, (haven't made up my mind whether to grill it using cedar or maple...suggestions welcome.)

I'm going with a linguini in an parmesan clam sauce on the side. I figure a homemade cream of celery soup and light romaine and tomato salad should go nicely to start things off. For desert, and get this...I used my kids icecream maker to make an authentic white wine italian ice. Wine pairing for the meal, I'm going with a nice oaky pinot grigio...

We've got the season premier of House MD, waiting to be enjoyed on the ViP622...that should cap off the dinner nicely. A lobster on the table and a crab on TV! LOL! :D :D :D

Wife's birthday is next week, so this weekend she will be getting a grilled piggy-back lobster tail, (haven't made up my mind whether to grill it using cedar or maple...suggestions welcome.)

I'm going with a linguini in an parmesan clam sauce on the side. I figure a homemade cream of celery soup and light romaine and tomato salad should go nicely to start things off. For desert, and get this...I used my kids icecream maker to make an authentic white wine italian ice. Wine pairing for the meal, I'm going with a nice oaky pinot grigio...

We've got the season premier of House MD, waiting to be enjoyed on the ViP622...that should cap off the dinner nicely. A lobster on the table and a crab on TV! LOL! :D :D :D

That sounds really good. I'm roasting a Canada goose tonight, but haven't decided just how. Will likely uncork a bottles of Cahors to go with it (I really like Malbec).

That sounds really good. I'm roasting a Canada goose tonight, but haven't decided just how. Will likely uncork a bottles of Cahors to go with it (I really like Malbec).

I must amend my previous post, it was not a pinot grigio but a Spanish Viura fermented in French Oak barrels. While one would think a complex white wine like that would overpower the delicate taste of the lobster, that was not the case. The lobster was seasoned in garlic butter and grilled over maple wood, so all the flavors blended rather nicely. I can honestly tell you i would NOT have served that wine with a boiled lobster though.

Anyway, with regards to your Canada goose. This goes back to our appreciation of red wines with game birds. How did it turn out? I am curious...how many people can one canada goose usually feed?

…with regards to your Canada goose. This goes back to our appreciation of red wines with game birds. How did it turn out? I am curious...how many people can one canada goose usually feed?

Goose, being a dark meat, goes very well with many reds. Having a fairly strong flavor, you can't let the bird overpower the wine. That's why I think malbec, which is what Cahors is made from, works very well. I think a Cabernet Sauvignon is also a good match. Some of the milder ducks, like wood ducks, teal or even pintails, work well with Pinot Noir. Mallards are suited to a pretty wide range of reds. I don't think many whites can approach waterfowl.

I've read that Cahors takes quite a while to open up, so I usually open the bottle three or more hours prior to the meal, if I can stand waiting that long to drink it. Did I mention I really like malbec?

We had four for dinner last night and the bird was good. Even so, it could easily have fed another four. I'm thinking of trying a goose couscous recipe I ran into recently with the leftovers.

There are numerous subspecies of the Canada goose, ranging in size from just a little bigger than a mallard — 3+ lbs — to the giant subspecies which commonly gets to 10–12 lbs and frequently even bigger. This was one of the big ones, probably about 12 lbs. live weight. As a rule with the giants, the younger and smaller birds are more tender. This one roasted nicely.

Well...my garden is dying down a little, and I picked myself one chocolate pepper, two sweet banana peppers (which are hot anyway, go figure), and a mexibell. I'm going to saute them with some onion and garlic and make me a little fajita...:)

(I have two jalepenos too, but I'm saving those for something else...don't know what yet...;) )