What's for dinner ?

I grew up in Maine and the family always ate deer, moose, and even bear. Like someone said... you have to know how to cook it correctly. My mom died when I was 10 so I never really learned how and now I live in the suburbs where people don't do any of it anyway BUT!!! I do remember eating it and liking it.

Roast duck (1 pintail, 1 wood duck and 1 shoveler). I took a roasting dish, put a dusting of salt in the bottom, laid the duck breasts (cut off the keel, but with the legs attached) on the salt, skin side up. Sprinkled the breasts with freshly chopped garlic, a layer of green bell pepper slices, a layer of onion slices, a ring of potatoes (cut in half) and a pile of baby carrots on top. I poured red cooking wine on top to make sure it stayed moist.

Cooked at 200°F for two hours, 225°F for three and one-half hours and 300°F for one-half hour. Falls off the bone and you can't lift the taters with a fork, they'll fall off.

Served with a bottle of Cahors that was opened three hours early to allow it aerate.

The Plan:
2.5 lbs. Chicken Wings
5 Skinless Chicken Breasts
Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. ground sage
2 Tsp. ground red pepper
1 Tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
2 Tsp. brown sugar
1 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
2 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Oregano
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning
1-7 oz. pkg of brown gravy mix

In a 14 ounce squeeze mustard bottle I mixed a half and half mixture of French's Mustard and Kraft's Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce along with a small cup of apple sauce and 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar.
Applied rub on wings a couple of hours ago, applied rub to breasts about 30 minutes ago... then added the mix of Mustard and BBQ sauce and shook well (in plastic bags)added more rub.

*Placed Breasts on bottom rack, wings on middle and top racks.

*Used Mesquite chips and water/ diet pepsi mix in drip pan

*Ignition 3:10 pm... in my Orion Cooker...pulled at 4:00 pm...

Last edited:
I personally love wild game myself. Tried deer, elk, pheasant, goose, duck, rabbit, and possibly a few others I can't think of at the moment. While I have to admit, i don't have the backbone to hunt the game myself, I have friends and family who've been kind enough to share.

I guess people who like to hunt are often as enthusiastic to share as people who like to cook. I've never complained... :)

SatelliteGAL;1459728 I live in the suburbs where people don't do any of it anyway BUT!!! I do remember eating it and liking it.[/QUOTE said:
It's getting hard to find people that even cook from scratch these days, they want it preped in the box. I guess there's less thinking involved that way

It's getting hard to find people that even cook from scratch these days, they want it preped in the box. I guess there's less thinking involved that way

It's the busy lives everyone leads. They are too busy running all the children to so many activities that they don't have time to breathe or simply read a book. ...... guess I had better not go there :)

Eye of round pot roast. The roast has been in the pot since 3pm. I just added the carrots and potato's. Should be ready in about an hour. Dang defergie I would love to have some of your venison!:hungry:

Pot luck at work today, so I am eating the leftovers. I made a mexican caserole as follows: In large roaster layer tortillas (oil the pan first), rice mixed with salsa, cheese, tortillas, can of refritos, taco seasoned ground beef, cheese, tortillas, green chili (I used my frozen stock but Stokes green chili with pork is OK), cheese (I like cheese) and a final layer of tortillas. Cover and cook at 350 for 45 minutes.

The key is in the layering. Don't make any one layer too thick. You can adjust spiciness to your audience by the salsa used, whether it gets put in the beans as well, and the brand of green chili. Stokes is the safest for gringos. They make it in chicken as well as pork.

I have a lot of Indian nationals at work, so I left out the ground beef for theirs, and substituted grilled chicken. I also used the vegetarian refritos and used the vegetarian green chili sauce. I actually prefer the taste of the vegetarian refritos as they are cleaner, if less traditional.

Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. ground sage
2 Tsp. ground red pepper
1 Tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
2 Tsp. brown sugar
1 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
2 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Oregano
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning
1-7 oz. pkg of brown gravy mix

Although I modified this with less pepper and have some wings covered and waiting to cook tomorrow....