What's happening with the Sat Launch?

As odd as this sounds, the (lack of) value of the dollar is making us fairly competitive in the world labor market.

On CNN this afternoon there was a report that BMW may be shifting more production over to the US as the labor savings is significant. True or not? I can't say but it was interesting to hear.

Best,

When Mercedes started assembling the M class SUV in the US I seem to recall they had nothing but trouble. Hopefully BMW will have better luck.

Hey, maybe the weak dollar will make US satellite launches more affordable too!

I think there are options left for Dish, and there is deffinitly a plan B. Reguardless of the fuel, they need to get the satellite to 61.5, and place an order for a new satellite ASAP.

The satellite needs to be in operation today, the replacement can be ordered tomorrow.

There is too much potential revenue sitting on the table right now to scrap the satellite completely and collect the insurance money. It costs $600 million for a new satellite, which is really a drop in the bucket when you look at the size of the customer base and the revenue it can generate today.

I wouldn't go running to Directv yet, because they grass isn't any greener over there either!

Except that they're already well ahead of DISH when it comes to HD. DirecTV's last launch went well, which boosted their HD content dramatically. DISH was trying to catch up, something now made exceedingly more difficult with the failure of AMC-14.

The Briz-M booster just had a bit over 8 minutes of total burn time remaining prior to it's premature shutdown. That's a little over 3000 Kg of fuel. I believe this is within the capabilities of the satellite to finish the launch (reducing it's lifespan somewhat). Anyone know how much fuel is onboard AMC-13?

Well, your info inaccurate :(
FYI:
"The nominal sequence called for the following Breeze-M boosts (Moscow time)

First boost: 02:30:14 - 02:37:49 (7mn 35 sec)
Second boost: 03:17:36 - 03:52:02 (34 mn 26 sec)
Third boost: 08:55:25 - 09:01:35 (6mn 10 sec)

The nominal orbit after second boost was to be (roughly) 890 x 35760 km. inclined at 51.5°
Roskosmos reports an achieved apogee of about 28000 km, close to 8000 km below nominal."

"Briz M burned for 32 minutes of its planned 34 min 13 sec second burn, leaving it with much less than 16 tonnes of propellant, but still a tonne or two. AMC-14 is left 700 m/s short of the proper perigee apogee, but many more meters per second (perhaps 1,000 m/s or more) delta v out of plane from the planned insertion orbit. That's a chunk of unplanned delta-v.

- Ed Kyle"

You can read more here.

Anyone know who "nominally" currently has control of the satellite and the responsibility to decide on what to do next? ILS? SES-Americom? Other?

As odd as this sounds, the (lack of) value of the dollar is making us fairly competitive in the world labor market.

On CNN this afternoon there was a report that BMW may be shifting more production over to the US as the labor savings is significant. True or not? I can't say but it was interesting to hear.

Best,

Not odd at all. That's how it works. You can't sell your merchandise? Price goes down. :) There are certainly political and other downsides to a weak dollar but getting our exports up and imports down isn't one of them.

As to the satellite, I'm sure even ILS/SES/Echostar don't have nearly all the information they need to make a decision. And we have only a small fraction of the information they have. Despite the expertise of some of the posters, I seriously doubt as well that we have any idea of how difficult & costly & unrealistic it is to even suggest rescuing this thing (I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so). Unless something completely unexpected occurs, that sat is gone.

Let's all move on, ladies & gentlemen, nothing to see here.....

Well, your info inaccurate :(

OK, i was off two or three minutes. I still believe the satellite can achieve orbit after they take a couple of weeks to power up the bird and figure out the details. Dish can stay on track and we'll all get our HD.

Lockheed Martin and SES Americom are commanding the spacecraft, which is in a safe orbit. Options are being evaluated. All is not lost.

Anyone know who "nominally" currently has control of the satellite and the responsibility to decide on what to do next? ILS? SES-Americom? Other?
ILS is done, they tried their best and came up a little short. Since the satellite has separated, they are out of the picture. I suspect the owner, SES-Americom, has turned it over to their insurance company just as we would if we had an accident. The insurance company will then work with them or Dish to get the bird to orbit to minimize their payout. Charlie may buy the satellite on the cheap to save the lease fees.

Well he should get it cheap,since the only way to get it operational is to take half the satellites lifespan away.. Great another half dead E* satellite. Just drop the piece crap in the ocean!

But it's not Dish's satellite. They are leasing it. They didn't build it, nor do they own it. So they don't get to make the decision on what to do with it.

The ses-americom.com site states: “AMERICOM-14 (AMC-14) is a BSS satellite featuring many noteworthy innovations, including an active phased array (APA) payload consisting of a receive mode APA antenna, and the highest levels of redundancy on core components such as amplifiers, receivers, commanding beam and computer control systems.”

What is a APA and can it help out in its current state in any way?

But it's not Dish's satellite. They are leasing it. They didn't build it, nor do they own it. So they don't get to make the decision on what to do with it.
But why would you still want to lease a satellite thats no operational. Wouldn't that void the contract!. Shouldn't E* be scrambling to get their own Satellite in place instead. If its leased ,Dump it!
That would be like leasing a car,and they deal was for the dealer to deliver the car to your home, But instead crashed it on his way over! What would you do? That car wouldn't even be another thought in my head. IF the Satellite he doesn't own is done for then, F IT. Time for plan B.

What is a APA and can it help out in its current state in any way?

It's an antenna that can alter the beam pattern sent to the ground so the satellite can be used at any orbital slot. The satellite also has the standard antenna as well.

I think there are options left for Dish, and there is deffinitly a plan B. Reguardless of the fuel, they need to get the satellite to 61.5, and place an order for a new satellite ASAP.

The satellite needs to be in operation today, the replacement can be ordered tomorrow.

There is too much potential revenue sitting on the table right now to scrap the satellite completely and collect the insurance money. It costs $600 million for a new satellite, which is really a drop in the bucket when you look at the size of the customer base and the revenue it can generate today.

I wouldn't go running to Directv yet, because they grass isn't any greener over there either!

Well, my contract was up 3-15 and with the news of the sat issue I called D* to see the comparison of HD/price and was impressed with the offering. They will be here tomorrow to install. I was in a unique situation with the contract ending but to say the grass is not greener in not accurate, right now. I wish E* all the luck as competition is good for all, this sat issue is a real bummer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts