Whats in your garden?

vampz26

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Chicago
My little spinoff to the 'whats for dinner' thread...

Anyways, if you like too cook and like to eat, chances are you have a garden...in mine I have:

Herbs:
Basil, Arugula, Cilantro (almost), Greek Oregano, Parsley, Tarragon, Chives, Thyme, and common mint.

Veggies:
Radishes, Green Onions, Cucumbers, three types of tomatoes including celebrity bush, cherry, and yellow pair. Five types of hot pepper including jalepeno, poblano, cayenne, mexibell, and hot banana. Six types of sweet peppers including chocolate, red, yellow, orange, purple, and green (cal wonder).

Fruit:
Strawberries (though I sadly underestimated the available space needed), Dwarf mexican lime and dwarf meyer lemon (in containers...I'm making an indoor winter orchard...it will be great! I"m starting it now...) The neighbors planted a grape vine by our shared fence so they let me share in that too... ;)

Recipes derived from these cultivars will be posted in the 'whats for dinner' thread. :)

We just put in a garden for the first time in many years so there's not too much in it this time around. Next year we'll have more.

Herbs:
Basil, Cilantro, Oregano, Parsley, Chives, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme and Mint growing wild in a corner of our yard.

Veggies:
Radishes, Onions, Squash, five types of Tomatoes, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Lettuce, Eggplant and 6 varieties of Peppers.

Fruits and Nuts:
Strawberries, Cantaloupe, Cherries, Apples, and Walnuts.

Mario

It has been a weird year - too hot and now too wet.

Cherries and beach plums are starting to ripen. Asian pears, apples, peaches and nectarines are getting bigger. Grapes have formed and are growing, but is looks like rust is starting to make a run. We put up 30 pints of strawberry jam and 10 of rhubarb butter. Blueberries are ready to ripen. Raspberries and blackberries have just formed.

Parsley has just laid there this year, lemon grass, bay, chives, basil (6 kinds) and dill have gone wild. Cat mint, sage, rosemary, lavender are doing ok.

Clementis has been coming in waves. Jackmani are starting to bloom. My roses have been incredible. Shasta daisies are just heading.

We froze about 40 pints of peas - tied Caseload this year - they were amazing. Spinach has bolted; we have been harvesting lettuce for many weeks. Asparagus was incredible this year but I am allowing it to fern now. Beans - yellow and green - are just flowering. Artichokes are just setting there this year- it has been too hot. Shallots are swelling as are the onions, leeks are enormous. No tomatoes yet - largest are about the size of of nickels. Corn is tasseling. Rutabagas, beets are starting to swell. Carrots are doing well. Cukes have grown slowly - not even trendled yet. Garlic is turning brown and should be ready to pick in a few weeks. No squash or watermelon of cantaloupes yet and the pumpkins are slow to run so far this year.

Herbs
Thyme, Oregano, Chives, and 2 others I forget right now
Veggies:
Acorn squash, Corn, Tomatoes (4 kinds), Green Beans, Green Peppers (3 kinds), Hot peppers, Squash, Zuc., cucumbers, onions, Lettuce (leaf and head), cabbage, Broc. and cauliflower.
Fruit
Cantaloupe, Musk melon, Strawberries.
Flowers.
Sunflowers, and marigolds

Soil really is bad around here. I tried to grow things but way too sandy. Have tomato's, peppers, cucumbers, some flowers and a Lemon Tree growing in pots and an orange tree out back. Thats about it.

VEGETABLES = Corn, 5 different kinds of peppers, 4 different kinds of tomatoes, Green Beans, Celery, Head Lettuce, Zucchini, Spagetti Squash, Yellow Squash, Tomatillos, Cucumbers, Eggplant

FRUITS = Raspberries, Blackberries, Peaches, Apples

HERBS = Basil, Cilantro, Oregano, Parsley

I've been enjoying a garden ever since I was a kid and this year (so far) the weather has been almost perfect (just the right amount of rain, heat, sun, etc). Hope it keeps up and we get a bountiful harvest this year. Everything is doing so well right now.

In my garden I grow flowers, at least that's what Mrs. Pepper calls them.

Two dish network, two primestars, and a channelmaster. They bloom gray and white.

:D

I have got one of the AeroGarden Pro's in my kitchen and currently have cilantro, parsley, oregano, basil, epazote and thyme growing.

I was unsure about how well it would work, but we have been amazed and really enjoy it. Chopped some fresh cilanto for a salsa this afternoon.

E

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)