What's the best OTA antenna in my area

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
about damn time...you've only talked about it for 5 months

It's ALMOST time to replace my indoor Philips SDV1125T/27 antenna with a AntennaCraft HBU44 long range outdoor antenna from Solid Signal that cost about $58 and I paid the ground shipping costs. Since I'm in a violet zone and need a large directional antenna in my location. My next door neighbor let me have his pole and pre-amp. when he used to have his antenna (a short range antenna) to pick up some stations nearby. I don't know if they got a rotor. I've finally made an investment despite having pay-TV like D* and getting free over-the-air locals and adjacent locals too via antenna. Do DirecTV still have those DirecTV AM21 tuners?
I use the same antenna. The AM21 is available from D* for $50 + tax (no shipping) but unless you are going to use it for the subchannels in your market or a neighboring market that you get consistently its not worth using it the way you **think** you want to use it. The AM21 only works with 2 zip codes capacity and since you mention in your signature a H23 (no DVR?) then it only loads the database for which DIrectv has. Some locals are missing

I point east to get the Columbia, SC stations OTA. I point SSE I get Augusta, GA locals OTA. I point NNW and North I get my home market stations Greenville, SC OTA. Is it impossible to pick up all Charleston, SC stations (since it's on ESE or about 120 degrees and about 162 miles from my location)?
impossible? not really
easily done? heck no
On your tvfool if you look at the column next to the affiliation (PBS, CBS etc) that number shows the strength of the signal at your loc. The lower the number the harder it is and anything negative is usually really hard to get. Can some of the low negative numbers be gotten (like -8)? sure. I can get a CBS 72 miles away that according to the tvfool is a -10 yet I can get it 98% of the time. A big badass VHF only antenna helps :)

All I'm saying is dont expect to get Charleston even remotely consistent.

Also I've found the Tropo forecasts at Tropospheric Ducting Forecast for VHF & UHF Radio & TV I get forecast for possible future DXing. On the Noon (GMT) forecast in my area it's 2 means fair.
which means subtract 5 hours.
and most of those numbers are like the weather guy...predictions. Lots of factors to get signals further away.

Iceberg, I've got backup plans. My next door neighbor has a Philips Amplified Indoor/Outdoor antenna model #SVD8622T/27 let me have along with the pole. It hasn't been installed yet but my cousin will do it tomorrow if the weather isn't worse.

BTW, What's the best place to buy a directional compass so I could point my antenna?

UPDATE I decided to cancel my order of HBU44 at Solid Signal (since it was backordered) and went to Radio Shack and bought me a AntennaCraft Long Range Outdoor Antenna #C490 which was in stock at the store last Friday, and two days ago it was installed. Right now, it's currently pointed to the direction of the Greenville, SC market towers which is 17-97 miles from my house and I've bought a 12 dB inline amplifier. The last time I scan, I got every TV station in this market except WLOS 13 (ABC) which has an inadequate signal (Grade B) unfortunately. Yesterday i've picked up many Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC stations over the air from wee hours to sunrise. I've got WUNF 33 (PBS/UNC-TV) OTA many times which is 97 miles from my area.

Will a preamplifier help me get WLOS 13 OTA or not? I've only pick up WLOS 13 once late Monday night then signal went out. I've also having trouble getting WGGS 16 and I've got it once last night. I wish WLOS 13's signal wasn't inadequate. :(

I'm still using the Tropo forecasts at Tropospheric Ducting Forecast for VHF & UHF Radio & TV so I'll have a chance to pick up distant signals OTA for temporary time.

Here's my map of available OTA signals in my area. I didn't mentioned the feed of my antenna height. Radar-Digital(3).png

What do you think? Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)