Whats the deal with the program guide? (and other stuff).

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Can anybody clear things up for me?

Today at about 5:00pm I will have had Voom for 1 week. When the installer showed me the basics he told me that after I turn on the Voom box the program guide will take about 1 full day to fill itself in. He said little bits of the guide are broadcast with the TV signal and the box builds the guide. Sounded good to me. Note: I was not yet upgraded to V 6.10 software.

I later read somewhere on the internet that it should only take 45 min for the guide to fill in.

Throughout the week I had the box lock up 1 time, I unplugged it and upon powering up the guide was again empty. That was at 6am, the guide was not complete until 9pm. I upgraded to v 6.10 after this and so far no more lockups. Can anybody clarify the details on the program guide?

Also, yesterday I decided to put the STB in sleep mode all night, just to see if it cooled down overnight, I like things to run cool when possible. This morning when I woke up the box, I had only a black TV screen, so I rebooted it by holding the button in for about 5-8 seconds. Again the guide is gone, hopefully when I get home from work it will be there again. Should I just leave the box on all night every day?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Dan

I don't know why it should take so long. when i had d*, it took the receiver only a minute or two to start filling in guide info after a hard reset. I don't know how long the full guide takes to download, but the guide has like a whole week worth of data, not just a day or two. and d* of course has a lot more channels.

This is heaven compared to the Dish 6000, that stb pisses me off to no end! I can go out about 6 hours, filling the data in, then if I cancel and go back to the show, 5 minutes later, all the info is gone again and only current and next show display. It takes about 4 minutes waiting in the guide for it to fill in the next 4 hours, so I am very happy with the Voom 3 day guide (when it actually goes that far).

Voom's guide is pretty slick, but unless you have some sort of problem with the LNB, coax cabling, or signal strength I get all the channel headers in about 5 minutes, with a day's worth of program information in about 20-30 minutes.

However when I had problems with the hardware it would take hours and hours for the STBs to have all the information.

Dvlos said:
Voom's guide is pretty slick, but unless you have some sort of problem with the LNB, coax cabling, or signal strength I get all the channel headers in about 5 minutes, with a day's worth of program information in about 20-30 minutes.

However when I had problems with the hardware it would take hours and hours for the STBs to have all the information.

I noticed this too! It's a great way to check for hardware and wiring problems! Perhaps this should be in the Post Installation and Troubleshooting FAQ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts