Whats the deal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
I got a flyer in the mail today , Comcast High Speed Internet 19.95 for 3 months.
I am with direcway now and paying 69.99 and can get around 1.2 mg. This advertises up to 6 mg. I thought great, I called and the first lady told me after the 3 months it would be 45.99 with the modem and could not tell me the installation price so she transfered me, Well gues what. I got transfered to the customer payment system.:D Thats hilarious! I called back and talked to another CSR who said since I am not a customer it would be 55.99 for the service and modem and 99.99 for the full install. I told her if I could just be connected at the my service pole I could hadle everything else cause it is all here. She said they would have to run new lines in my house and I told her NO. I then went to the website and it said new customers without current service would be 42.95 without a modem.

So my question what is the deal with them I am being told one thing and see another?

Hows the service?

Is there anyway around the 99.99 for the full install?

The Tate said:
I got a flyer in the mail today , Comcast High Speed Internet 19.95 for 3 months.
I am with direcway now and paying 69.99 and can get around 1.2 mg. This advertises up to 6 mg. I thought great, I called and the first lady told me after the 3 months it would be 45.99 with the modem and could not tell me the installation price so she transfered me, Well gues what. I got transfered to the customer payment system.:D Thats hilarious! I called back and talked to another CSR who said since I am not a customer it would be 55.99 for the service and modem and 99.99 for the full install. I told her if I could just be connected at the my service pole I could hadle everything else cause it is all here. She said they would have to run new lines in my house and I told her NO. I then went to the website and it said new customers without current service would be 42.95 without a modem.
So my question what is the deal with them I am being told one thing and see another?
Hows the service?
Is there anyway around the 99.99 for the full install?

Here in Chattanooga, Comcast charges $42.95 w/o modem and $45.95 w/modem if you have some level of Comcast TV service, otherwise it is $57.95 or $60.95 without TV service. I do not know how much Limited Basic cable TV is where you are at but here you can get Limited Basic cable TV for as Little as $7.70/mo depending on community you live in for 12 channels, 8 are locals, so if you want to keep satellite for TV, you could get Limited Basic cable TV and the Internet service for as little as $50.65/mo or $53.65/mo, which is cheaper then getting Internet buy it's self.

here what i got.

basic for 9.50 with 39.99 install charge
6meg for 19.95 for 3 months then 42.95 with free self install kit.

compared to

57.95 for 6 meg and 99.00 for install.

total for first 3 months with install 128.24 with basic
vs. 272.85 for internet only

then 52.45 with basic vs 57.95 without

thanks Chris.

one more question, advertised 6mg how fast should I expect it after it is said and done.

I get around 6300kbps on my 6Mbps service here in Maryland. For me, the local TV package is $13 (plus fees & taxes), so there's not really any savings ordering both instead of the internet only package here.

-John

The one disadvantage of Cable Internet is that even though Comcast claims 6mps compared to what? 1.5mps for dsl claims, dsl is constant and I can tell a difference on Comcast during peak usage time's it slows down. My big complaint right now is that I have had a persistent problem the last month or two or so of the Internet, digital cable TV and VOD going out every time it rains, after several tech visits one finally discovered byte marks from squirrels on the main line, which explains the problem with moisture, and they would likely fix it in a couple of days, that was a freaking 2 or 3 weeks ago with several rainy days, now they are promising to be out to fix the problem Wednesday morning, I hope so.
If I could get line of site to the E* or D* satellite's, I think I would drop my cable back to just Limited Basic and Internet. I do not believe DSL is even a option here or I would be tempted to try it out, however I do like the cable Internet when it is not raining, but I could just scream every time I see a Comcast add touting how we never go out when it rains :( .

Chris Freeland said:
My big complaint right now is that I have had a persistent problem the last month or two or so of the Internet, digital cable TV and VOD going out every time it rains, after several tech visits one finally discovered byte marks from squirrels on the main line, which explains the problem with moisture, and they would likely fix it in a couple of days, that was a freaking 2 or 3 weeks ago with several rainy days, now they are promising to be out to fix the problem Wednesday morning, I hope so.

Just a little update, Comcast finally replaced that main line in front of my house today, now I will just need to wait until it rains to see if the problem is fixed. Now if their was a way to keep the squirrels from biting the cable :D .

Chris Freeland said:
Just a little update, Comcast finally replaced that main line in front of my house today, now I will just need to wait until it rains to see if the problem is fixed. Now if their was a way to keep the squirrels from biting the cable :D .

might I suggest BB gun :D

I am in college and in my IT class my professor told us that what Comcast fails to tell the cutomer is that the 6Mbps is not guaranteed. It depends on how many people who live around you get High Speed Internet from Comcast also. The more people to get it takes away from the bandwidth. When Comcast tells us 6Mbps that is the max. Its still faster then dial up but I just thought I might pass that along.

Thats why I was asking. Any internet system is like this. If you read the find print it is stated speed is not quaranteed and many factors play in. It also depends on your computer performance I install Dway daily and I love the people that think your internet speed is suppose to make your PC faster then complain cause there PC's are at a crawl cause they have the Great Deal toolbars, or Shop at Home popups.

NYRANGERS said:
I am in college and in my IT class my professor told us that what Comcast fails to tell the cutomer is that the 6Mbps is not guaranteed. It depends on how many people who live around you get High Speed Internet from Comcast also. The more people to get it takes away from the bandwidth. When Comcast tells us 6Mbps that is the max. Its still faster then dial up but I just thought I might pass that along.

This is true and even though the advertised rates for DSL is lower, DSL is consistent because you get a dedicated line, makes it hard to compare DSL and cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts