What's your main complaint about VOOM today?

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I though it would be interesting to see what people value more today... a hard choice for me to only choose a single one.

Lack of sports programming...

A lack of sports progamming (e.g. ESPN, NFL Sunday Ticket) are my biggest complaints. If I had these--and a DVR--I'd drop my DTV sub in a second.

The Rickster

Yep, ESPN and the season sports packages (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, and MLS). The regional sports networks themselves would be nice additions as well. Especially if they could get the new Comcast Networks in Chicago and Philadelphia.

However, I'd settle just for the ability to buy the season passes. NFL is a pipe dream at this point, but I'd think the NBA, MLB, and NHL wouldn't be too hard to get if they could find the capacity.

For purely personal reasons, I'd like TechTV, but I can live without that one. That's really the only Dish Network channel I have currently which isn't sports related that I'll miss.

I agree that it's programming. There are plenty of "regular" movie channels on Voom, of which I am satisfied. But I would like a good sci-fi HD channel.

If they could really get a good HD-Sports packages together that will bring the subscribers over in droves.

I can't give you a single complaint, Walter:

The user interface; Lack of different Favorites, inability to see only Favorites when channel surfing using the channel button, Channel direction is reversed depending if I am on Surfbar or Guide, Auto On in Planner is not the default.

Lack of OTA scanning.

Some SD channels look awful and fix the "red sparklies".

The lack of certain channels is of no concern to me, I'm not a sports nut. I would like Sci Fi but that's about it.

i dont have any major complaints. The programming is good for me, i dont have any channels i miss.

a few things that would be nice:

. More than one favorite list
. Another stretch mode to make the sides stretch more than the middle in 4:3 broadcasts (panoramic mode its called on my tv, but i cant use it in 1080i)
. No need for a land based phone line :D
. Whenever they release a dvr, we can just switch the box without paying more

More Sports On Voom

ESPN better get here soon. (not that I am going anywhere), along with a really complete sports capability.

I have DISH NETWORK just for the MLB Extra innings package. When it is all said and done that is $300.00 for a season of baseball. (150.00 for the installed hardware, and approx 150 for the programing). I'd rather pay VOOM.

I don't understand why all things in programing for VOOM seems to take so long. What were they thinking when they started without ESPN. REALLY BAD PLANNING IMHO. Yup we now have the GOLF channel. I don't watch it but it is a necessity. GET ESPN, by yesterday at the latest.

The program guide needs to remember where you stopped and start there again. And while I am at it I think the pictures are often too dark in HD on VOOM.

The repetition on the Voom exclusives is starting to bother me. The Cinema Tens for example, have only had about twenty different movies-combined- in the month I've been Vooming. If there library is that lacking then it just helps the argument for Cinema Five instead. And stop playing that damn Flug-Tag crap already, sheesh. :)

You forgot one important category - "other"

My biggest single complaint is the horrendous program guide, closely followed by insufficient software control of the Voom box (single button guides, more customizable guides, being able to choose the aspect ratio of your HD display device, software stability, OTA scanning, etc.). The entire software package is barely in beta stage, and is in desperate need of a complete overhaul.

Sports we will have (espn) the others when space allows--down the road..the quality and bugs seem to get fixed when problems arise and one day will be all stable..i think ROTATION is the main thing on all of the 21 specialty channels ,cinema 10, rush,ultra world sports ..do that and Voom has it made, because the others are just a matter of time, some sooner then later (ESPN)

rang1995 said:
Sports we will have (espn) the others when space allows--down the road..the quality and bugs seem to get fixed when problems arise and one day will be all stable..i think ROTATION is the main thing on all of the 21 specialty channels ,cinema 10, rush,ultra world sports ..do that and Voom has it made, because the others are just a matter of time, some sooner then later (ESPN)
Good point!! But I'm still worry about PQ. When all of the technical problems they are currently working on are fixed, I want to see PQ at least as good as it used to be. If they keep adding channels before switching to MPEG4/WM9, they will have to get the bandwidth somewhere and they may get it by over-compressing.

What's the timetable on the WM9 switchover. It seems like that will be huge for VOOM, and give them a major technical advantage over DirecTV and Dish.

If you try long enough, you should be able to find a poll where ESPN gets all the votes :p .

My biggest complaints are regarding the STB.
-No locals scanning.
-No feature to "surf" HD or favorite channels only (without going to guide first)
-Box still not stable.

One complaint? If so, has to be the lack of ESPN and regional sports networks. If I was allowed another - it would be the lack of a PVR.

I really don't have any other major concerns. Oh, things could be tweaked a little, but all-in-all I'm a very happy camper. I've only been live for about two weeks so other niggling frustrations will probably develop. But, can you believe I haven't had one - yes, not one single software/hardware problem. Nothing. Not one single lockup. I've never even rebooted the thing since the initial hit to authorize. I must lead a charmed life.

Voom Lacks ESPN HD, NBA HD (D* Now Has This On Ch. 85 For The Playoffs), Sci-fi,
TechTV, A Real STB Like D*'s HD Stbs (Not The Digital Cable Boxes V* Has Now).
Sometimes V* Makes Me Feel As Though I'm Watching Cable.

Wow, I'm really torn between the sports programming and the PVR. Seeing as I have 2 ReplayTVs sitting idle now that I have Voom, I have to go with the PVR option. And my ReplayTVs are the older 3000 series models, so it won't work with the new program guide hacks that are floating around. :no

Walter L. said:
Good point!! But I'm still worry about PQ. When all of the technical problems they are currently working on are fixed, I want to see PQ at least as good as it used to be. If they keep adding channels before switching to MPEG4/WM9, they will have to get the bandwidth somewhere and they may get it by over-compressing.
Walter, it's been confirmed by Will that all channel allocations were pre-made on the transponders and all transponders are running at a full load even if there is not a channel assigned, so what we see is what we get, there is no overcompression or picture problems due to adding additional channels. The number of channels that Voom had allocated prior to MPEG-4/WM9 will not be exceeded until they have the capacity to do so.

This is a bold & smart step on Voom's part, then they won't fall into the "Dish trap" of running out of bandwidth and having to compress the Hell out of everything to make it fit.

2 thumbs up to VOOM! :up :up