When VOOM Moves to MPEG-4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
You guys in the "know" about VOOM, are we going to get a better SD picture when they move to MPEG-4 or are they going to pull a "Dish" and just cram more channels/transponder?

I don't believe that MPEG 4 will give VOOM any more space. I would guess it would improve PQ though. :)

Someone correct me if I am wrong though. :D

I am no expert in this, but from what I've heard MPEG-4 will let them almost double the capacity without significant quality degradation (at list for HD).

VOOM's MPEG-2 system is spec'd at a maximum of 88 SD channels. With MPEG-4, the maximum increases to something like 120 SD channels. I don't recall the exact figure quoted by Wilt.

I would guess this number refers to the number of SD channels possible at current quality (or the same quality they would have with 88 SD -- they only have ~75 SD now). Presumably they could do some number in between that would also improve quality.

If that's the case then the PQ won't improve, they'll just cram more programming up there, right? I would think that a service like VOOM would really be concerned about the quality of their SD channels as well since they are serving a HD market.

DarellP,

As we approach the MPEG-4 roll out this fall, subcribers need to make sure VOOM knows that they'd rather have better SD quality than a lot more SD channels. I'd personally much rather have an extra five channels and somewhat better picture quality, than an extra 30 SD channels.

Ditto Ken, let's start a Voom subscribe initiative to let them know.

Ken F said:
DarellP,

As we approach the MPEG-4 roll out this fall, subcribers need to make sure VOOM knows that they'd rather have better SD quality than a lot more SD channels. I'd personally much rather have an extra five channels and somewhat better picture quality, than an extra 30 SD channels.

I agree Ken to a point. I would rather have 5 extra with a better picture IF they are the 5 I want. I personally don't want We, Lifetime movies and 3 shopping channels with great pictures.

I believe Wilt said that it will double SD channels and give us abou 10-15 more HD channels. I do not believe they will be sacrificing PQ of HD by doing this. As to SD, my opinion is very biased (since I do not like the way it looks right now) and it may or may not improve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)