When VOOM Moves to MPEG-4

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
You guys in the "know" about VOOM, are we going to get a better SD picture when they move to MPEG-4 or are they going to pull a "Dish" and just cram more channels/transponder?

I don't believe that MPEG 4 will give VOOM any more space. I would guess it would improve PQ though. :)

Someone correct me if I am wrong though. :D

I am no expert in this, but from what I've heard MPEG-4 will let them almost double the capacity without significant quality degradation (at list for HD).

VOOM's MPEG-2 system is spec'd at a maximum of 88 SD channels. With MPEG-4, the maximum increases to something like 120 SD channels. I don't recall the exact figure quoted by Wilt.

I would guess this number refers to the number of SD channels possible at current quality (or the same quality they would have with 88 SD -- they only have ~75 SD now). Presumably they could do some number in between that would also improve quality.

If that's the case then the PQ won't improve, they'll just cram more programming up there, right? I would think that a service like VOOM would really be concerned about the quality of their SD channels as well since they are serving a HD market.

DarellP,

As we approach the MPEG-4 roll out this fall, subcribers need to make sure VOOM knows that they'd rather have better SD quality than a lot more SD channels. I'd personally much rather have an extra five channels and somewhat better picture quality, than an extra 30 SD channels.

Ditto Ken, let's start a Voom subscribe initiative to let them know.

Ken F said:
DarellP,

As we approach the MPEG-4 roll out this fall, subcribers need to make sure VOOM knows that they'd rather have better SD quality than a lot more SD channels. I'd personally much rather have an extra five channels and somewhat better picture quality, than an extra 30 SD channels.

I agree Ken to a point. I would rather have 5 extra with a better picture IF they are the 5 I want. I personally don't want We, Lifetime movies and 3 shopping channels with great pictures.

I believe Wilt said that it will double SD channels and give us abou 10-15 more HD channels. I do not believe they will be sacrificing PQ of HD by doing this. As to SD, my opinion is very biased (since I do not like the way it looks right now) and it may or may not improve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts