Where are my Satellite Guy's gamers at?

Do any of you have a list of your favorite war game campaigns? I have always preferred historical ones like WWI and WWII compared to made up ones like the Modern Warfare games but they are still enjoyable. I was considering getting the new COD WWII game for Christmas but possibly adding some older games to my collection like Battlefield I.

They aren't historically accurate but I highly recommend the new Wolfenstein games. Start with Wolfenstein: The New Order and if you like that Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus just came out. They are set in an alternate history where the Nazis won WW2 and basically took over the entire world. You play as an American Jew who is part of a resistance. The COD campaigns usually aren't bad but most of them are 5-6 hours long. The Wolfenstein games tell a much better story and they are more fleshed out, longer campaigns because they don't have multiplayer while that is the main focus for COD and Battlefield.

Apart from that COD and Battlefield are the go to war games. I know that some reviewers really liked the Battlefield 1 campaign and I had a good time with both COD Modern Warfare Remastered and COD Infinite Warfare last year.

They aren't historically accurate but I highly recommend the new Wolfenstein games. Start with Wolfenstein: The New Order and if you like that Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus just came out. They are set in an alternate history where the Nazis won WW2 and basically took over the entire world. You play as an American Jew who is part of a resistance. The COD campaigns usually aren't bad but most of them are 5-6 hours long. The Wolfenstein games tell a much better story and they are more fleshed out, longer campaigns because they don't have multiplayer while that is the main focus for COD and Battlefield.

Apart from that COD and Battlefield are the go to war games. I know that some reviewers really liked the Battlefield 1 campaign and I had a good time with both COD Modern Warfare Remastered and COD Infinite Warfare last year.

I remember playing Medal of Honor: Frontline on my Gamecube and I was blown away by it. I'm intrigued by the new Wolfenstein games.

I remember playing Medal of Honor: Frontline on my Gamecube and I was blown away by it. I'm intrigued by the new Wolfenstein games.

The first game (The New Order) is $20 at full price now because it's a few years old. It regularly goes on sale for less than $10.

Anyone familiar with Sniper Elite 4? Looks pretty good.

Also, should the other Wolfenstein game be played before the newest game?

I've never played the Sniper Elite games.

The New Order should definitely be played before The New Colossus. TNC picks up right where TNO ends and there are lots of important things and characters you would have no context for if you skipped it.

The Old Blood is a DLC side story for the first game that they ended up making a standalone package. I had a decent time with this but you only need to play it if you just want more Wolfenstien. You won't miss out on any important story details if you skip it.

Also, when you play these games feel free to turn down the difficulty if they get frustrating. There are parts in both games where they are far more difficult than they should be at the default difficulty setting. I think the games are much more fun if you turn them down a bit and just tear through some Nazis. I'm more invested in these games for the story than the gameplay anyways.

I'd recommend playing the two Wolfensteins first. You can get them in a double pack for $20 now at Walmart and Amazon, and the regular price is $30 (And if you prefer PC I'm sure they'll be heavily discounted in an upcoming Steam sale)

To be fair, Wolfenstein 2 DOES do a "Previously On" at the beginning, so you don't NEED to play the games beforehand, but you'll miss out on a lot of character work and development.

The Last of Us will always be one of the greatest gaming experiences I’ve ever had. None of the negatives you pointed out bothered me much at all.

Well as much as I found more nitpicks, I did find things I missed the first time through, including many of those optional conversation moments. In my first playthrough, any time I took control of Joel in a new area, I immediately started scavenging, ignoring whatever Ellie was going on about. But this time I hovered near her and other NPCs to hear whatever conversation was being prompted before exploring. I did the same in my second playthrough of Left Behind, which reminded me how much more I enjoyed playing as Ellie in general even though her abilities were nerfed. Somehow I managed to get through the flooded loading dock with just a knife and a pistol with no bullets against four Stalkers on Survivor difficulty (on my 15th attempt, that is ;) ).

Reactions: Scherrman
Here's my review of Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus.

I just watched this and I don't think I've ever disagreed with your opinions about a game more than I do with this one. Wolfenstein 2 will be near the top of my GOTY list for this year. I do agree that the default difficulty is set at the completely wrong level but that is very easy to fix. Apart from that I really like what they did with this game.

I don't want to respond to each of your problems with the game because it's hard to do that when there is no text to quote and also hard to do without going into spoiler territory. I'll just say this, I had a very good time building up the resistance in this middle chapter of the Wolfenstien trilogy and I'm really looking forward to taking down the Reich when the next game comes out in a couple years.

I just watched this and I don't think I've ever disagreed with your opinions about a game more than I do with this one.
So does this mean the Last of Us has been dethroned?

I think part of my displeasure with the game also came down to a "It's not you, it's me" thing. Some of my displeasure stemmed from just not liking a number of things the game did, but I at least could see how other people could like the things that I didn't.

As I said, I still think it's a good game and I can easily recommend it, but I guess for me it suffered due to the bad first impression and general Nazi apathy on my part.

It almost motivates me though to go back to the first one and do the same thing and just plow through.

So does this mean the Last of Us has been dethroned?

I think part of my displeasure with the game also came down to a "It's not you, it's me" thing. Some of my displeasure stemmed from just not liking a number of things the game did, but I at least could see how other people could like the things that I didn't.

As I said, I still think it's a good game and I can easily recommend it, but I guess for me it suffered due to the bad first impression and general Nazi apathy on my part.

It almost motivates me though to go back to the first one and do the same thing and just plow through.

Our disagreement about The Last of Us and Wolfenstein 2 are probably pretty close to the same level. Wolfenstein 2 is probably a slightly larger gap since you are giving it a 6/10 and I think you probably rated TLoU a little higher than that.

I think one of the biggest differences in our reaction to the game is that I don't have the general Nazi apathy you describe here or in your video. If anything, the fact that we literally had Nazis openly having rallies and marching the streets this year made Wolfenstein even more relevant for me. You mentioned that you could get the same power fantasy by turning down the difficulty in any first person shooter but for me part of the reason the power fantasy is so strong in this game is the fact that the enemies are Nazi soldiers who have taken over America instead of some generic alien enemy.

Big time PC Gamer. Started with Diablo 1 in '96, then went on to Star Craft and Ultima Online.
In 2003, I got into Return to Castle Wolfenstein and then Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, which I still play every day.
Also, now a days, Insurgency, Day of Infamy and a long list that I play occasionally like World of Tank, BF 3, CS:Go, et al

Big time PC Gamer. Started with Diablo 1 in '96, then went on to Star Craft and Ultima Online.
In 2003, I got into Return to Castle Wolfenstein and then Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, which I still play every day.
Also, now a days, Insurgency, Day of Infamy and a long list that I play occasionally like World of Tank, BF 3, CS:Go, et al

TIL that people are still playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

I used to play RTCW all the time on the original Xbox online. I loved the class based combat and had a bunch of people that I played with all the time.

TIL that people are still playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

I used to play RTCW all the time on the original Xbox online. I loved the class based combat and had a bunch of people that I played with all the time.
It's not like it was some years ago, but there are a few ETPro servers s till kicking, a few LANS here and there and a number of JM servers. F!A Clan servers are probably the most active - they have about every mod there is. I'll probably be the last man standing in ET.... lol

So after 110+ hours, I started to get a little burnt out on questing through Dragon Age Inquisition with only one or two main missions remaining to finish the story. It's almost a shame this game is so deep and long, because as an RPG, I would like to experience it in different ways, with different characters, gameplay/combat styles, story choices, difficulty settings, etc., all the while discovering opportunities I missed my first time through. If I do, it won't be any time soon. I still haven't even touched the DLC missions.

So after a quick return to Far Cry 4 to visit the Valley of Yeti (DLC), I started another, not quite so deep and long RPG: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Deus Ex is really the perfect game for me as it combines a sci-fi story in an open world setting, simplified RPG elements (compared to DA:I), exploration and collecting, hacking mini-games, and solid stealth mechanics/gameplay that don't require frequent aiming/shooting or button-mashing combat.

Though I've only been to a couple of sections of Prague (the first main area of the game), I've been blown away by the visuals and aesthetics that combine the historic with the futuristic. And so far everything has taken place in sparkling clear richly detailed daylight hours, whereas in the last game it always seemed to be nighttime or deep underground. Another thing that has impressed me is the animations for take downs, which are very specific to your location in the room (the object you are hiding behind) and the NPCs you are taking down, which aren't all cookie-cutter, one of three or four different types. Maybe I'll change my tune after spending 30-40 hours in this and the DLC missions (I got the complete edition for ~$11), but I can definitely see myself replaying this and possibly picking up the PS4 remaster of last generation's Deus Ex game, when it goes on sale. I do have it on PS3 (which I've completed twice), but just the vanilla version, not the "director's cut" remake.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is a game I've been meaning to get around to for quite a while. I love RPGs but I strongly prefer sci-fi to fantasy so it seems like it would be perfect for me. Glad to hear that you are liking it.

I don't blame you for wanting to move on from DA after 110 hours. When I completed the story at 75 hours I was definitely ready to move on to something else. I really enjoyed it but towards the end I found myself sticking to the main story content more often instead of doing everything available. I later got a digital copy of the GOTY edition dirt cheap even though I already owned the main game on disc just because it included all the DLC. I'd like to go back and finally play that DLC content but it's been a few years since I played the main story at this point.

Before pulling the trigger, I saw on Metacritic that Deus Ex: MD had an aggregate score of 84 (PS4) with almost half the scores 90 or better. So I was surprised I hadn't heard more about it, as far as award nominations and such. I guess the pre-order bonus marketing fiasco turned a lot of people away.

Before pulling the trigger, I saw on Metacritic that Deus Ex: MD had an aggregate score of 84 (PS4) with almost half the scores 90 or better. So I was surprised I hadn't heard more about it, as far as award nominations and such. I guess the pre-order bonus marketing fiasco turned a lot of people away.

Yeah there wasn’t much positive buzz around launch despite most of the people who did play it liking it.

So after 110+ hours, I started to get a little burnt out on questing through Dragon Age Inquisition with only one or two main missions remaining to finish the story. It's almost a shame this game is so deep and long, because as an RPG, I would like to experience it in different ways, with different characters, gameplay/combat styles, story choices, difficulty settings, etc., all the while discovering opportunities I missed my first time through. If I do, it won't be any time soon. I still haven't even touched the DLC missions.
Yeah, I love those types of RPG's the most. But the replay value isn't there.

I've replayed games like that before, but it was always a few years later with an upgraded version that came out on a new platform (like Skyrim VR on the PS4, or a Morrowind Mod for the Oblivion engine that I've been playing the last couple weeks).

Once Easter comes this weekend, and my youngest son gets a copy of Ni No Kuni 2, then I'll be playing that (should wrap up Morrowind by then).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)