Where Is The Espn Announcement? Good Or Bad!

Lem52 said:
If ESPN HD isn't included by June 1, 2004, I am dropping Voom myself and going with Directv for it.

Lem52
NBA Playoffs-the Grizz vs. the Spurs in HD tonight-wish the Laker game was but, oh well.

8% is the low estimate, I think 17% is top. I chose the lower end because odds are people won't get all of there locals, and will choose to go a different way. I got the figures from a HD analyst report. I think the report went for $2500 when it came out. When I find the report, I'll post the name of the report later. Think about it this way, Swann (I know, but I trust his fact, not always his analysis) says 35-40 million US households can get satellite access because of apartment rules and/or home doesn't have Southern view. How many US households are there? Maybe 120 million? Now think of apartments. At best, the have a 180 degree line of sight for OTAs. Odds are, they're not getting them all. Rural communities who can't get signal? See how the numbers keep getting knocked down.

BTW hogdog, you disagree, disagree. Don't call me a liar. Don't act like you didn't call me a liar. Got some more statistics.

85% of jerks on message boards have sex with farm animals
98% of jerks on the internet are using the profile hogdog

I don't like your odds.

I have D* but have not been watching it as of 2/28/04 when I got Voom. I'll check it out. Thanks Bob HD=Voom

well the only reason i am keeping it is cause i don't have a built in tuner and i am HOPING. atleast abc will broadcast the nba finals in HD. *fingers crossed*

so if no espn is here by then...voom is gonna "moov" out of my house!

CYUHNKE,

I predict that sales of HD sets will rise this year... there now my predictions are as good as the idiot extrordinaire phillip Swann. Please post a link to this analysis. When voom survives swaan will probably claim that spinning it off on its own substantiates his claim that it will fail and be sold in 2004.

maybe his number is so low because he needed to search high and low for some vague data to support his claim that voom will fail and be sold before the end of 2004?

Alright guys, here's my sourcing. My original 8%-15% figure came from a 2002 Schwab report, so I'll try to update the numbers. I will now give you information you can verify yourselves. According to DirecTVs own web page, they have 12.21 million subscribers

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/Investor.dsp

According to EchoStar's page they have just over 9 million subscribers

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/company_profile/index.shtml

According to a Smith Barney/Citigroup report file name US03M049.pdf (you must be a registered user of Smith Barney to access, then search for DISH) industry net additions will be less than 3% a year. DirecTV has over 50% market share. So, the number of satellite subscribers is something like 20-25 million. Same report, the industry is maturing (85%), ergo the low growth. The debatable part of all this is how many people could get satellite but don't. I don't know how many household are in the US, but I think its maybe 110 million. My Schwab report says only about 1/3 of country can get satellite, about 35 million. That is Swann's number also. Schwabb has the number who can install an outdoor antenna as less than that. So, my figuring leads to me surmising, because none of this exact, that:

Potential satellite customers = 35 million, ~1/3 US households
Potential satellite customers who can get ALL of their OTAs= 15 million.

I think 8% probably is to low because people most people who can get satellite can probably stick an antenna on their roof. Not all can, or want to.

This information is the best I can do. I don't work for anyone in the telecommunications business. If I've made mistakes, let me know. If you have the right info, I don't care if I'm wrong. But to insuate I'm making stuff up or am working with a malevolent motive is unfair. I would like Voom to succeed because competition benefits us all. So, my final guess is 10%-15% can get Voom.

Your getting data on who will be able to recieve a satellite signal from Financial analysts from 2002 and the idiot Phillip Swann? LMAO

I had ESPN HD with my previous Comcast service. Of all the HD channels, it was the worst in terms of PQ. Their feeds are often in SD. Too bad, because their programming was some of the best. Despite a week or so of withdrawal symptoms, I hardly miss it now that I've switched to Voom.

vurbano said:
Your getting data on who will be able to recieve a satellite signal from Financial analysts from 2002 and the idiot Phillip Swann? LMAO
Actually, that's a 2002 financial report, a 2004 financial report, and subscriber information from the 2 leading DBS providers. I was trying to show the information verified Swann's assertions, as well as my own. What I feel my post made clear was that I couldn't, nor has anyone else, made clear exactly what the potential customer base consists of. I was trying to inform the "you're a liar" posts that my OPINION drew upon a knowledge of credible material. BTW, I am not a Swann apologist. I find him arrogant, and occasionally condescending. I just disagree with you, vurbano, that he makes stuff up for no other reason than to produce copy.

Any hope that ESPN-HD will cover any NCAA Football games this season? I would love to see my Hurricanes in High-def! I searched a few hours last evening, but came up empty. I have to agree with Vince2, ESPN HD does show alot of SD crap for being called HD.

TC_Lauderdale said:
Any hope that ESPN-HD will cover any NCAA Football games this season? I would love to see my Hurricanes in High-def! I searched a few hours last evening, but came up empty. I have to agree with Vince2, ESPN HD does show alot of SD crap for being called HD.
ESPN does carry quite alot of College Football during the season-not sure how much of it will be in HD though-watched the 'Canes a few times last season on ESPN SD(before D* added ESPN HD)

TC_Lauderdale said:
Doesn't ESPN do 5-6 CFB games a week during the season? The Sunday night football broadcast will get the HD treatment. I would hope the CFB Thursday Night game will get HD. That's one of ESPNs showcase games.

yes I think I saw some CFB games in HD last year. SO I assume they will do some this year too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)