Where is the new DIRECTIVO?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You can always buy a universal remote such as a logitech harmony series and not tack on another 2 years to your contract!

That and the HDGUI, who needs 2009's TiVo today?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I dont like the white remote either, it was one of the things i hated the most about my new HR20 when my HR10-250 went TU. I still don't like it. The TIVO remote was much better...to each his own I guess.

For me, it isn't so much that the remote is top heavy, but that the most used buttons are at the top, which is inconvenient. Tivo and Dish have much better remotes.

-Ted

I don't like those remotes either. its why i've been using harmony remotes for years

Since I don't see it posted here yet here is the email I just got from Tivo:

We’re baaack! TiVo and DIRECTV are together again.
The TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV
Now you can once again enjoy the world-famous TiVo® service seamlessly integrated with DIRECTV through the TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV. Enhance your TV-viewing experience with TiVo and DIRECTV today. Find out more

· Record up to 100 hours in spectacular HD, or 400 hours of SD*
· Record two shows at once; watch one while recording another
· Enjoy TiVo's legendary, elegant and easy-to-use interface
· Find your favorite shows with ease across television and DIRECTV On Demand
· Access over 6,000 on-demand movies and shows at no charge**

If you live in one of the available markets, act now to get your TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV.

Shop now at DIRECTV

Order yours today!

The TiVo HD DVR from
DIRECTV is available today
in these ten markets:

· Chicago, IL
· Denver, CO
· Los Angeles, CA
· New York, NY
· Philadelphia, PA
· Phoenix, AZ
· Sacramento, CA
· San Francisco, CA
· Seattle, WA
· Washington, D.C.

Available nationwide in early 2012

As previously posted I see the tivo unit on the DTV website for 199$ + 6$ lease fee(per mo) and + 5$ tivo fee(per mo). Seems like an epic fail for Tivo IMHO. I am sure there are those that are really stuck on the Tivo interface but paying more to get less features and the Tivo interface seems a bit hard to swallow.

Last edited:
It is a shame that D* really has handicapped the TiVo--that said, it must have hit the national radio news this morning because my dad heard about it before I could tell him and asked me how he could get one.

What strikes me about this whole thing is that DirecTV seems to go out of their way on their website to talk you down from buying one: "Please note: The TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV is not compatible with DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR service, 3D and other DIRECTV features. Find out more." and "Please note: The following DIRECTV features are not available with the TiVo HD DVR: Whole-Home DVR service, DIRECTV iPad App remote control and live TV streaming functionality, DIRECTV CINEMA (satellite downloads), YouTube on TV, 3D, and GameSearch™." without really playing up the benefits that it has over the HR series e.g. Wishlists and actual Suggestions, or even the fact that it while it may not do satellite downloads, it still offers On Demand.

...then they tack on a $5 additional fee. I don't remember ever having an additional fee for any of the DirecTivos I've owned in the past. Plus I hope it's $5 per account, not per receiver, although somehow I doubt this.

It's almost like (hell I bet this is exactly it) it seems that this thing was frozen in 2008/09 (whenever the HR22 was current), then the rumors of E* buying Tivo came out, and they had their little patent war--so D* halted everything so they could figure out a way to call it off if E* actually did buy Tivo. That took a few years--but now that there are no more rumblings about E*, they went ahead and released it 3 years late, without having done really any additional work or modernization during that time it was put on hold--I'm hoping that they do work on some upgrades for it (e.g. the HD GUI), and that the D* hardware they are running it on isn't a complete and total rewrite that ensures a huge pain to port to it whenever they want to do an upgrade (which is what happened with Comcast and the Motorola boxes--they used Java or something off the wall to port it over which ran slooowwww)--and that it is considerably faster than the old DirecTivos.

I don't think Tivo itself is exactly dead yet--having recently moved from D* to Comcast (not exactly by choice) I picked up 2 Tivo Premiere's--and aside from the fact that I can't access Comcast On Demand (although I've seen articles that say this is changing in the next year), I have access to my Netflix streaming account, Hulu Plus (which basically fills the void of lack of On Demand--and they gave me 6 months free), Amazon Instant Video (which was previously built in to my TV), and Blockbuster (if I had an account)--and can search across all of them--which is SWEET. The best part? The Premiere is FAST--not *quite* as fast as my HR23 with the HD interface, but WAY faster than the old school DirecTivos that took forever and a day to change season passes, record things etc.--in other words, it's taken me a week to get re-addicted to Tivo and realize that vs. the *current* Tivo software, the HR (even with the HD interface) still pales in comparison--and this isn't even the really brand new Verison 15 software they have on Virgin Media in the UK that is supposedly making it's way here soon.

In addition (I guess I'm in a lucky area), in my area Comcast has NO fees for CableCards (well, "the first card in each device is free"--1 M-Card that can do 2 streams counts as 1 card), nor charges a HD access fee--so I just pay for my plan, then pay Tivo $12.95 + 9.95 for DVR service (Craigslist is your friend for grandfather-rated Tivos)--which actually comes out MUCH cheaper than the $15.95 x 2 + $10 HD fee + $8 "additional digital outlet fee" they wanted had I taken 2 of their crappy Motorola HD DVRs--even paying Tivo the full current rate of $19.99 + $14.95 comes out cheaper than that.

--Nat

I guess I should have been more specific... If you are attempting to hold the white remote with one hand and punch in channel numbers with, say, your thumb, it's not easy. And what's wrong with liking tivo anyhow? I only have one HD tv, don't need more than one, there is only one of me here. So I don't care about whore house DVR. I just got my first HD tv this year, so I doubt I will be going into 3D any time soon. And I sure as piss don't care about five dollars per month to have something I like. I am sure that there are plenty of people who spend a hell of a lot more on things that aren't necessities but yet they like each month. So sue me, I like tivo.

I guess I should have been more specific... If you are attempting to hold the white remote with one hand and punch in channel numbers with, say, your thumb, it's not easy. And what's wrong with liking tivo anyhow? I only have one HD tv, don't need more than one, there is only one of me here. So I don't care about whore house DVR. I just got my first HD tv this year, so I doubt I will be going into 3D any time soon. And I sure as piss don't care about five dollars per month to have something I like. I am sure that there are plenty of people who spend a hell of a lot more on things that aren't necessities but yet they like each month. So sue me, I like tivo.

Hey, Where do I get me one of them???

Can anyone tell me why they would take a DirecTV TiVo over an HR24 or HR34?

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why they would take a DirecTV TiVo over an HR24 or HR34?
They only have one tv, and its not 3d? Then of course they would have to prefer the tivo interface, but some do.

For me, even if I did prefer the tivo interface, it would not be an option because of lack of MRV and 3D support.

They only have one tv, and its not 3d? Then of course they would have to prefer the tivo interface, but some do.

For me, even if I did prefer the tivo interface, it would not be an option because of lack of MRV and 3D support.
The UI is SD

There is no power button for the TiVo and you have to put it on standby via navigating the menu

Like all TiVo's it involves more steps as you have to navigate through more folders and menus to do some of the simplest task (much more complicated)

Even more importantly, it cannot do as much as the HR24 or HR34.

Some people dont care if the UI is SD. Personally, I dont that much. I LOVE the new HD UI with the HR, but most of that is because of the speed increase.

As to what it can not do that the others can, some just dont care or need the extra features. I like them, and would pick the HR for my needs, but everyone is different. I bet it will sell.

Some people dont care if the UI is SD. Personally, I dont that much. I LOVE the new HD UI with the HR, but most of that is because of the speed increase.

As to what it can not do that the others can, some just dont care or need the extra features. I like them, and would pick the HR for my needs, but everyone is different. I bet it will sell.
Maybe I should have phrased my question differently: Can anyone tell me what the TiVo can do that is superior to what the HR's can do?

Last edited:
It's almost like (hell I bet this is exactly it) it seems that this thing was frozen in 2008/09 (whenever the HR22 was current), then the rumors of E* buying Tivo came out, and they had their little patent war--so D* halted everything so they could figure out a way to call it off if E* actually did buy Tivo. That took a few years--but now that there are no more rumblings about E*, they went ahead and released it 3 years late, without having done really any additional work or modernization during that time it was put on hold--I'm hoping that they do work on some upgrades for it (e.g. the HD GUI), and that the D* hardware they are running it on isn't a complete and total rewrite that ensures a huge pain to port to it whenever they want to do an upgrade (which is what happened with Comcast and the Motorola boxes--they used Java or something off the wall to port it over which ran slooowwww)--and that it is considerably faster than the old DirecTivos.

This is probably the best reason I've read about the delay of this product. I think you've hit the nail on it. D* was waiting to see where the whole Dish/Tivo lawsuit was going to make sure nothing serious would happen after the product would get released. Now here we are 3 years later and the product comes out completely outdated. If they do add more features to it within the next year to make it comparable with the rest of the HR's, (like 3D, MRV, an updated GUI, etc...), maybe more people will get it. But for now, this thing is pretty much a lame duck. And of course, with the HR34 out now, there's no way the Tivo could beat it even if the new features were added.

It runs Tivo software. Some consider that superior.

-Ted
I used to have the old SD DirecTV TiVo and I realize what they can do now is much different than what they did then. The same is true with the DirecTV DVRs. What has changed since then that now makes them better than the current DVRs?

What can the TiVo software on a DirecTV TiVo do that the HRxx's cannot?

I used to have the old SD DirecTV TiVo and I realize what they can do now is much different than what they did then. The same is true with the DirecTV DVRs. What has changed since then that now makes them better than the current DVRs?

What can the TiVo software on a DirecTV TiVo do that the HRxx's cannot?

It makes those Tivo noises. Other than that, I cannot say. Anyone else?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)