Where the #%#$%#% is MSNBC HD, DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
But But But... The HD market is saturated.... :rant:

How could have that been said, that the HD market is saturated, I know with Dish we may miss out on MLB and the ticket for those who may want it. But I got to believe there are Direct subs, as I was one who also would like national HD channels as well.

Thank God I can get CTV in HD. Another hockey letdown from DirecTV, unless they pull it out in the next couple days (not likely).

I agree that HD for MSNBC would be super for the Olympics. However, that's a 2 week deal. The rest of the year, talking heads prevail and I would rather not see their nose hairs in HD IF DTV brings up BBS-HD or some other year around station that I might watch.

WHo really needs Olbertwit in HD?

People who like hockey in HD. First Versus and now this. "Sports leader" my right cheek. I have ESPNU HD, MSNBC HD and Versus HD. I'm quite happy. Some people actually like that channel in general. I couldn't care less, but I love it for the Olympics. Who needs Fox News or CNN in HD? Who really needs anything in HD? DirecTV is falling behind other providers. "Who really needs it?" is an empty excuse when many of the current D* HD subscribers signed up because they were getting the most HD programming available. Currently they are behind in both hardware and programming. I got DirecTV in 2007 and dumped them last year. I don't miss it given what has transpired. The new satellite better give them a boost or many others will switch.

It's very unfortunate that DIRECTV doesn't carry MSNBCHD right now.

I did some number crunching tonight.

How many DIRECTV subscribers ? - Approx. 18 Million.
How many of the 18 Million subscribers have the HD package(s)? - I don't know.
How many of the 18 Milion subscribers that have the HD package(s), are actually hockey fans ? - I don't know.
How many of the 18 Million customers will cancel their subscription, possible pay early termination fees because DIRECTV doesn't carry MSNBCHD for a few olympic hockey games ? - 0.00000.

I bet the accounting department at DIRECTV came up with the answer to the last question as I did.

It's very unfortunate that DIRECTV doesn't carry MSNBCHD right now.

I did some number crunching tonight.

How many DIRECTV subscribers ? - Approx. 18 Million.
How many of the 18 Million subscribers have the HD package(s)? - I don't know.
How many of the 18 Milion subscribers that have the HD package(s), are actually hockey fans ? - I don't know.
How many of the 18 Million customers will cancel their subscription, possible pay early termination fees because DIRECTV doesn't carry MSNBCHD for a few olympic hockey games ? - 0.00000.

I bet the accounting department at DIRECTV came up with the answer to the last question as I did.

Did the accounting department pull their numbers out of their rear, too?

Did the accounting department pull their numbers out of their rear, too?
Actually, he does have a point.

A very small percentage of all subs even have HD
Even fewer of them watch hockey and/or MSNBC (in fact few people watch MSNBC at all)
Of those that watch the Olympics, the overwhelming majority are watching NBC, not MSNBC, CNBC, or Universal.
Of those watching on any channel, only a few are watching in HD
Putting all of this together, the importance to satisfy a very small percentage of their subs base is not very high.

With that said, I wouldn't mind them adding it so I too can watch some of the events in HD

Actually, he does have a point.

A very small percentage of all subs even have HD
Even fewer of them watch hockey and/or MSNBC (in fact few people watch MSNBC at all)
Of those that watch the Olympics, the overwhelming majority are watching NBC, not MSNBC, CNBC, or Universal.
Of those watching on any channel, only a few are watching in HD
Putting all of this together, the importance to satisfy a very small percentage of their subs base is not very high.

With that said, I wouldn't mind them adding it so I too can watch some of the events in HD

And you get your information where? All supposition. At least you didn't make up numbers to support your supposition.

So here is my supposition. Since the digital transition and since the prices on HDTVs are dropping, many people are getting HDTVs larger than 30 in. Those people quickly learn that SD sucks. Those same people subscribe to D* for HD and for HD sports. Sports in SD suck. Those same people like the Olympics and want to watch the big USA-Canada Hockey game in HD. They won't be able to. Only an early termination fee is stopping them from leaving in droves. D* doesn't care because it has them locked in, not because they don't exist or are such a small segment of their subs that they don't matter. At least they are locked in for now.

My supposition is as good as your supposition.

And you get your numbers where? All supposition. At least you didn't make up numbers to support your supposition.

So here is my supposition. Since the digital transition and since the prices on HDTVs are dropping, many people are getting HDTVs larger than 30 in. Those people quickly learn that SD sucks. Those same people subscribe to D* for HD and for HD sports. Sports in SD suck. Those same people like the Olympics and want to watch the big USA-Canada Hockey game in HD. They won't be able to. Only an early termination fee is stopping them from leaving in droves. D* doesn't care because it has them locked in, not because they don't exist or are such a small segment of their subs that they don't matter. At least they are locked in for now.

Your SERIOUS aren't you ?

You really think that people are going to leave D* in DROVES over 1 channel that they would probably watch twice a year ?

IF your an MSNBC person, sure you'll watch it, but they are a small number.
I think the only time I've ever turned it on is when the Olympics are on.

And you get your information where? All supposition. At least you didn't make up numbers to support your supposition.

It seems to me that you are the one being the most subjective, using your own opinion as if it is fact.

It is easy to look up the numbers if you don't believe me.

First, even though Direct has bout 18 million subs, they still account for a very small percentage of all Olympic viewers.

Second, of those with Direct, less than 50% of their subs get DVR and/OR HD service; which means much less than 50% subscribe to HD.

Third, one does not have to look up the fact that Hockey is the least popular of our 4 major sports and Hockey is not as popular in the Olympics as other sports such as figure skating.

Fourth, most of the Olympic viewers turn to NBC and not MSNBC or the other affiliates showing the events. Look this up too if you don't believe me

Fifth, MSNBC's ratings are pretty much in the toilet. This too is easy to look up if you choose. Direct is not going to add a channel with very low ratings because of an event that happens once every couple of years. Perhaps after D12 is launched?

Besides, most sports fans don't care for the Olympics as much as they do about the sports they follow everyday. Just listen to sports talk radio. On the rare occasion they do mention the Olympics, it is usually derogatory. Or look at the demographic ratings of the Olympics compared to other sports.

Last edited:
Your SERIOUS aren't you ?

You really think that people are going to leave D* in DROVES over 1 channel that they would probably watch twice a year ?

IF your an MSNBC person, sure you'll watch it, but they are a small number.
I think the only time I've ever turned it on is when the Olympics are on.

I think you are the one who is kidding, right?

Yes, it only takes one major thing a sub wants, to PO them. There are alternatives you know.

I don't know about droves. I didn't say droves. You have exaggerated what I said. But to think that they won't lose subs to other services that offer more HD is naive. This is only one example of D*s arrogance.

And if you wonder, I'm not a Dish shill. I've never been a Dish subscriber. I was a happy D* subscriber for 10 years. Wouldn't have thought of leaving them for 10 years. Now, I would leave if it weren't for the early termination fee.

The prices keep going up for D*, but they can't even give us one lousy HD channel for the Olympics? After advertising their Olympic HD, big time? That is what has folks like me angry.

You don't care. Fine. You probably don't like MSNBC overall. Fine. But this is about delivering the goods for the Olympics, not about MSNBC per se. Especially after touting themselves as the HD Olympics leader, this is lame. They are not the HD leader in anything, no less the Olympics. That is the point.

It seems to me that you are the one being the most subjective, using your own opinion as if it is fact.

It is easy to look up the numbers if you don't believe me.

First, even though Direct has bout 18 million subs, they still account for a very small percentage of all Olympic viewers.

Second, of those with Direct, less than 50% of their subs get DVR and/OR HD service; which means much less than 50% subscribe to HD.

Third, one does not have to look up the fact that Hockey is the least popular of our 4 major sports and Hockey is not as popular in the Olympics as other sports such as figure skating.

Fourth, most of the Olympic viewers turn to NBC and not MSNBC or the other affiliates showing the events. Look this up too if you don't believe me

Fifth, MSNBC's ratings are pretty much in the toilet. This too is easy to look up if you choose. Direct is not going to add a channel with very low ratings because of an event that happens once every couple of years. Perhaps after D12 is launched?

Besides, most sports fans don't care for the Olympics as much as they do about the sports they follow everyday. Just listen to sports talk radio. On the rare occasion they do mention the Olympics, it is usually derogatory. Or look at the demographic ratings of the Olympics compared to other sports.

18 million is the only number you had. Your conclusion was zero, the only other number you had. You have now given some unsourced percentages. And your source that most sports fans don't care for the Olympics comes from where? You throw these things out authoritatively but give no source to support them.

Why do you begrudge people who want to see this part of the Olympics in HD? Is it because it is MSNBC and you don't like their programming the rest of the time? My point is that D* touts its Olympic HD coverage but doesn't deliver the goods. I'm not pretending that what I say here is anything other than my point of view and opinion.

I think you are the one who is kidding, right?

Yes, it only takes one major thing a sub wants, to PO them. There are alternatives you know.

I don't know about droves. I didn't say droves. You have exaggerated what I said. But to think that they won't lose subs to other services that offer more HD is naive. This is only one example of D*s arrogance.

And if you wonder, I'm not a Dish shill. I've never been a Dish subscriber. I was a happy D* subscriber for 10 years. Wouldn't have thought of leaving them for 10 years. Now, I would leave if it weren't for the early termination fee.

The prices keep going up for D*, but they can't even give us one lousy HD channel for the Olympics? After advertising their Olympic HD, big time? That is what has folks like me angry.

You don't care. Fine. You probably don't like MSNBC overall. Fine. But this is about delivering the goods for the Olympics, not about MSNBC per se. Especially after touting themselves as the HD Olympics leader, this is lame. They are not the HD leader in anything, no less the Olympics. That is the point.

You posted that in post # 34

Curious, does all the other providers that you could go to carry MSNBC in HD.
As for the channel, I don't dislike it, I have no opinion of it.

I think the whole thing is a NBC thing, not a D thing.
D* could have if they wanted to , placed it on the 101 if they wanted too I suppose, but they would have to pay NBC for the rights to do it.

fwiw, I'm NOT leaving any company over the lack of ONE channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)