Where the #%#$%#% is MSNBC HD, DirecTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
You posted that in post # 34

Curious, does all the other providers that you could go to carry MSNBC in HD.
As for the channel, I don't dislike it, I have no opinion of it.

I think the whole thing is a NBC thing, not a D thing.
D* could have if they wanted to , placed it on the 101 if they wanted too I suppose, but they would have to pay NBC for the rights to do it.

fwiw, I'm NOT leaving any company over the lack of ONE channel.

First I don't expect people to look up older posts, but I respect that you did. Second, you have every right not to leave over one channel. That doesn't mean that everyone thinks like you do. Sure they would have had to pay NBC and if they had, they would have rightfully be able to advertise their HD Olympic coverage:

"Experience the Olympics like never before.

Watch NBC Universal's coverage of the Vancouver Games on DIRECTV in breathtaking High-Def †. See up to four channels — NBC, CNBC, USA and MSNBC — at the same time on DIRECTV's Sports Mix Channel. Enjoy interactive features, including NBC's Team USA updates, and enhance your Olympic experience with
daily highlights and full-length event replays on
DIRECTV on DEMAND."

BTW, every time I tune to Sports Mix during the Olympics, I've yet to see any Olympics. Maybe that is because I'm in the time-delayed West coast.

Anyway, thanks for your reasoned response.

It is the disconnect between the D* hype and the D* reality I most object to.

18 million is the only number you had. Your conclusion was zero, the only other number you had. You have now given some unsourced percentages. And your source that most sports fans don't care for the Olympics comes from where? You throw these things out authoritatively but give no source to support them.

Why do you begrudge people who want to see this part of the Olympics in HD? Is it because it is MSNBC and you don't like their programming the rest of the time? My point is that D* touts its Olympic HD coverage but doesn't deliver the goods. I'm not pretending that what I say here is anything other than my point of view and opinion.
Not unsourced at all. I looked them up myself. I just did not provide the links. I wanted to leave that up to you, if you are really interested in finding the truth instead of just your opinion.

Go ahead. Look up MSNBC's ratings. Look up the percentage of those that sub with the DVR and/or HD, it is on DirecTVs website. Look up Hockey ratings compared to other sports. Look up Hockey ratings compared to other Olympic events. You will see that I am correct.

ETA: Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer to watch Hockey, even womens' hockey, over figure staking any day. In fact, I cannot stand figure skating. My taste does not change the fact that figure skating is a much more popular event than Hockey

Last edited:
Not unsourced at all. I looked them up myself. I just did not provide the links. I wanted to leave that up to you, if you are really interested in finding the truth instead of just your opinion.

Go ahead. Look up MSNBC's ratings. Look up the percentage of those that sub with the DVR and/or HD, it is on DirecTVs website. Look up Hockey ratings compared to other sports. Look up Hockey ratings compared to other Olympic events. You will see that I am correct.

ETA: Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer to watch Hockey, even womens' hockey, over figure staking any day. In fact, I cannot stand figure skating. My taste does not change the fact that figure skating is a much more popular event than Hockey

You wanted to leave that up to me? I care about the truth. That's why I questioned your unsupported assertions, especially when presented as if they were fact; but it is not up to me prove your points.

That figure skating is more popular than hockey, ratings-wise, has nothing to do with D* not delivering hockey on MSNBC in HD for the Olympics. My point is D* is not delivering a full HD Olympic experience though they tout themselves as the HD leader, not that that figure-skating is more popular than hockey or that callers to sports talk radio are derogatory towards the Olympics.

As to opinion, there is nothing wrong with opinion, yours or mine. Sharing opinions, as well as facts, as well as blowing off some steam is just part of being on a message board.

I agree that HD for MSNBC would be super for the Olympics. However, that's a 2 week deal. The rest of the year, talking heads prevail and I would rather not see their nose hairs in HD IF DTV brings up BBS-HD or some other year around station that I might watch.

I totally agree with this. I like and watch MSNBC, but couldn't care less if their news programming is in HD or SD. Would much rather see the HD bandwidth go elsewhere.

But for the Olympics, I'd like to see that programming in HD. Hockey sucks in SD on a large screen HDTV.

I think everyone is missing the point here...not only are we missing hockey in HD, but we're missing the daily 3am showing CURLING in HD!!!

Trust me, I've got the DVR set for curling...I'm a third shifter though, and we only get to pick from CNN HD, Fox News HD, and MSNBC notsoHD

Grrrr. This game is going to be one of the biggest of the olympics, and we're getting "Maloned" on this one.

Thanks, DirecTV!

Its DTV's fault for us not having MSNBC in HD, but NBC made the miscalculation of putting it on MSNBC when they know most providers dont yet provide HD. Should have gone with USA, and kept the NBC logo on everything. Any word yet if DTV is going to give us another channel to watch in HD?

They can't take down one of those MANY HD PPV channels they have and put MSNBC HD on it for a few hours? The schedule has been out there for months and I'm sure more than a few us have called to voice our concern. Bad move Directv!

It's worrying me that the new CEO is more concerned about adding more PPV and not talking about trying to catch up to Dish with HD content.

They can't take down one of those MANY HD PPV channels they have and put MSNBC HD on it for a few hours? The schedule has been out there for months and I'm sure more than a few us have called to voice our concern. Bad move Directv!

It's worrying me that the new CEO is more concerned about adding more PPV and not talking about trying to catch up to Dish with HD content.

my guess would be the HD signal is contractual

All too typical of DTV....false advertising....making claims they know are untrue.... really comes to light in situations like this. ALL their competitors have MSNBC HD and the self-proclaimed HD leader doesn't.

Drop all the POS PPV channels nobody watches and actually add channels that viewers want to see.

This is beyond sh!tty....the Olympic schedule has been known for how long??? Its 2010 and DTV can't even have ALL the channels in HD.

Ridiculous...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there's at least 1 subscriber not under contract who <portion removed> me. If VS isn't back by the NHL playoffs, see ya later!

I'm surprised no one brought up the whole NBC/Comcast/VS conspiracy theory. Is there a chance NBC put this game on MSNBC instead of CNBC or USA because it's the only HD channel that D* does not have? Considering the whole NBC/Comcast merger and the VS/D* dispute, I don't this it's that far fetched.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep the langauge family friendly guys.

Unfortunately I don't think MSNBC HD is going to pop up in the next hour. :(

so angry we coudlnt find a work around like switching CNBC and MSNBCs signals, or opening USA up to the game since its in HD and owned by NBC. Instead they completely give one of the biggest games of the tourney the shaft. Well done NHL/Olympics/

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)