Where the #%#$%#% is MSNBC HD, DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Particularly when the channel in question is NOT a Sports channel ...

I still fault NBC for this .
Agreed. If Hockey is as big as everyone is saying, then they should have put it on NBC instead of MSNBC. They could have put it on live as well since they were broadcasting during the afternoon today anyway.

Its neither a technical or contractual issue. If DTV, the super HD leaders they claim to be, truly wanted to satisfy their Olympic viewing customers, they could have made it happen. They chose not to...simple as that.

Regardless of channel popularity, MSNBC was one of the channel's chose to broadcast Olympic coverage. The least DTV could have done was make it available in HD.

There will be more fall out tomorrow...but a Chicago Tribune writer is attempting to get some answers. Here is a link to the article:

Tower Ticker: U.S. vs. Canada hockey on MSNBC: Some people have it in HD; you probably don't

Last edited:
Why would it be taped delayed when it wasn't on the other channel ?

Everything on NBC has been tape delayed on the west coast (and Mountain time zones) while the cable channels have one feed for all time zones. About 9:55 PM PT, NBC switched to the USA-Canada game that was seen 3 hours ago on MSNBC.

Agreed. If Hockey is as big as everyone is saying, then they should have put it on NBC instead of MSNBC. They could have put it on live as well since they were broadcasting during the afternoon today anyway.

NBC refuses to put live events for the west coast. The Russia-Czech Republic was taped on west coast.

You are missing the point. Directv is dropping the ball big time without carrying MSNBC in HD. MSNBC has had the second most Olympic Coverage after NBC. If I subbed to Directv I would be furious, that the "Sports Leader" with all those "Full Time HD RSN" were so short sighted to blow covering the entire olympics in HD; and this along with their Vs. issues, is why I won't sub at Directv.

You are missing the point. Directv is dropping the ball big time without carrying MSNBC in HD. MSNBC has had the second most Olympic Coverage after NBC. If I subbed to Directv I would be furious, that the "Sports Leader" with all those "Full Time HD RSN" were so short sighted to blow covering the entire olympics in HD; and this along with their Vs. issues, is why I won't sub at Directv.
I am not missing the point. You guys are making a bigger issue than really exists. "Big Time"? Please. Few people watch MSNBC, few people watched the Hockey on MSNBC, and even fewer people even have HD to begin with. The percentage of subs this affected is so minimal, that it is not that big of a deal.

I do agree that even though it is a small percent, Direct should have tried to do something to make this small percent happy for the very few events that they may be interested in watching on MSNBC

After all, there is a reason why NBC chose to put in on MSNBC vs NBC, and that reason is, more people, believe it or not, rather watch ice skating and skiing over Hockey during the Olympics (probably because the majority of Olympic viewers are not traditional sports fans).

If you subbed to DirecTV you would realize that they have all of those full time HD RSNs because they have sports packs that true sports fans want to watch, something much more enticing to niche subs than one low rated cable news network showing #2 rated Olympic events to mostly non sports fans 1 time every two years.

If you subbed to DirecTV you would realize that they have all of those full time HD RSNs because they have sports packs that true sports fans want to watch, something much more enticing to niche subs than one low rated cable news network showing #2 rated Olympic events to mostly non sports fans 1 time every two years.

Oh ya, like all those poker shows, bocce ball tournaments, countless imformericals and repeats of the Best Damned Sports Show.:rant:

Just remember one thing Dogerking - "The YANKEES are World Champions!!":D

Olympic Hockey, IS BIG, particularly when the US has a good team.... hockey in general is not, but Olympic Hockey is.

The Dodgers do have a great Manager though and he should still be a Yankee.:)
They have a very good young core team with Ethier, Kemp, Loney, Martin, Kershaw, Billingsley, and Broxton. All home grown (Ethier came from the A's but his first full season in the bigs was with the Dodgers) and all have lead them to the playoffs a few times already. They are only going to get better. Ethier, Kemp, and Martin have already won Silver Sluggers, and Kemp and Martin have already won a GG, Loney will be joining them soon as well. Kemp WILL be a future MVP. Now if they can get a decent ace pitcher, they could be very dominate (people forget that they did have the best ERA in baseball last year, even though they didn't have any dominate pitchers).

Olympic Hockey, IS BIG, particularly when the US has a good team.... hockey in general is not, but Olympic Hockey is.
Not as big is ice skating and other events, especially in the early rounds; which is why it was on MSNBC. Once it makes it into the later rounds, then they will put it on NBC and it will be bigger

Everything on NBC has been tape delayed on the west coast (and Mountain time zones) while the cable channels have one feed for all time zones. About 9:55 PM PT, NBC switched to the USA-Canada game that was seen 3 hours ago on MSNBC.

NBC refuses to put live events for the west coast. The Russia-Czech Republic was taped on west coast.

What ????? your not all blaming D* for it being on tape delay ???

The point that everyone is missing is that probably there was a reason why NBC Universal put the game on MSNBC instead of USA or CNBC.

The reason -- NBC was trying to use this as leverage to get DirecTV and other carriers to add the full-time HD feed of MSNBC. Not saying that I agree with this strategy (as I sure was upset to watch this game in SD on my 58" Plasma last night); just that it was a way that NBC tried to turn up the heat to get MSNBC carried in HD.

Of course, once D* weathers the storm of customer complaints about this occurring the next week or so, there is no motivation on D* part to add MSNBC HD quickly, as it's by far the lowest rated cable news network. Again, I don't agree w/this mentality, but this is coming across as a classic case of hardball on both sides in which consumers lose. And with the ever-escalating carriage demands by cable networks, I'm afraid we are going to see these carriage conflicts more and more in the future.

Fact is that no television service can be all things to everyone.
Personally, I want all HD and no SD at all -for all channels. I don't watch SD. Truth is that I can't watch all the channels I get now but any SD channel will be passed by for sure.

After all, there is a reason why NBC chose to put in on MSNBC vs NBC, and that reason is, more people, believe it or not, rather watch ice skating and skiing over Hockey during the Olympics (probably because the majority of Olympic viewers are not traditional sports fans).
Yep, no conspiracy theory here, it was strictly a business decision which probably does make sense for the avid hockey fan:

But Christopher McCloskey, an NBC Universal Sports and Olympics vice president, said one benefit of putting the hockey game on MSNBC is that it can run there without being cut up into segments to accommodate other sports as NBC customarily does in prime time to cover as much ground and as many viewer interests as possible.

"The incorporation of cable platforms into Olympic programming allows for the avid sport fan to watch games the way they are used to watching them — with long-form coverage," McCloskey said.

Canada-U.S. men’s Olympic hockey game headed for MSNBC - chicagotribune.com

The point that everyone is missing is that probably there was a reason why NBC Universal put the game on MSNBC instead of USA or CNBC.

The reason -- NBC was trying to use this as leverage to get DirecTV and other carriers to add the full-time HD feed of MSNBC. Not saying that I agree with this strategy (as I sure was upset to watch this game in SD on my 58" Plasma last night); just that it was a way that NBC tried to turn up the heat to get MSNBC carried in HD.

Of course, once D* weathers the storm of customer complaints about this occurring the next week or so, there is no motivation on D* part to add MSNBC HD quickly, as it's by far the lowest rated cable news network. Again, I don't agree w/this mentality, but this is coming across as a classic case of hardball on both sides in which consumers lose. And with the ever-escalating carriage demands by cable networks, I'm afraid we are going to see these carriage conflicts more and more in the future.

Where do you have any documentation stating this ?

Yep, no conspiracy theory here, it was strictly a business decision which probably does make sense for the avid hockey fan:

Canada-U.S. men’s Olympic hockey game headed for MSNBC - chicagotribune.com

But Christopher McCloskey, an NBC Universal Sports and Olympics vice president, said one benefit of putting the hockey game on MSNBC is that it can run there without being cut up into segments to accommodate other sports as NBC customarily does in prime time to cover as much ground and as many viewer interests as possible.

"The incorporation of cable platforms into Olympic programming allows for the avid sport fan to watch games the way they are used to watching them — with long-form coverage," McCloskey said.

Good point, chances are, had they put it on NBC, they probably would have been cutting away constantly making watching the game very difficult.

What ????? your not all blaming D* for it being on tape delay ???

Not at all. That is all on NBC. We on the west coast want it live and NBC would tape delay it so it's better on MSNBC without HD. You living back east would get it live. Everything on NBC has been taped on the west coast.

Not at all. That is all on NBC. We on the west coast want it live and NBC would tape delay it so it's better on MSNBC without HD. You living back east would get it live. Everything on NBC has been taped on the west coast.

Sorry, I was not saying YOU had a problem with it, just figured us as a whole would ... (tape delay)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)