Where to get Cables

Remember HDMI cables are digital not analog so there is NO difference in cables costing $10.00 as opposed to cables costing $100.00. Digital signals are either transmitted or not, there is no way to increase or decrease quality with a digital cable.

Remember HDMI cables are digital not analog so there is NO difference in cables costing $10.00 as opposed to cables costing $100.00. Digital signals are either transmitted or not, there is no way to increase or decrease quality with a digital cable.
I remember seeing an ad on Amazon.com for a 3' or 6' Toslink cable. It was from a small shop and not Amazon.com directly, so the price wasn't typical for that length of cable. It was something in excess of $250 if memory serves me correctly. The price was a joke, but I got even more of a laugh from the single review for that item. Some "audiophile" posted that this cable was so much better then other Toslink cables as the material gave a red "tint" to the light, making the signal "warmer".

To me the jury is still out on how much copper cables matter for an analog signal presuming you are using a quality cable. But I agree 100% that with a digital connection, the signal is either there or it's not.

As to Moster cables, you can buy better but you can't pay (much) more!

Yes and no. The cables send an analog signal the gets interpreted as a 0 or 1. Its done through voltage. Hence and weak cable can produce more signal loss and the chance that a 1 is interpreted as a 0. But the real killer is the connector. More loss can happen through the connector than usually occurs in the cable itself.

Yes and no. The cables send an analog signal the gets interpreted as a 0 or 1. Its done through voltage. Hence and weak cable can produce more signal loss and the chance that a 1 is interpreted as a 0. But the real killer is the connector. More loss can happen through the connector than usually occurs in the cable itself.

Plus:

The data is sent through the copper wires at a certain rate, which equates to bandwidth. Higher resolution signals require more bandwidth and the longer the cable is the more resistance there is. So, yes, it's all about 1's and 0's but if the signal cannot get through with sufficient voltage and adequate bandwidth, those 1's and 0's cannot be recreated. This is why you need a heavy gauge wire to handle high res signals, digital or analog.

Optical cables are different - with clean glass, data throughput for optical is only limited by the tranceiver.

Yeah, there you go - pitch for the OVERpriced junk.
How so? I purchased some very good quality AcousticResearch gold plated, color coded 5.1 audio cables rom buy.com for around 35 dollars. They now sell for around 70 dollars Buy.com - Acoustic Research PR-136 Pro II Series 5.1 SACD/DVDA Audio Cable Set - PR136N
You think I got ripped off? I sure dont, and Id sure as hell buy a name brand for 35 bucks versus a knockoff for say 16 dollars. DO you have a problem with shopping for great prices on name brands or can you not read? Which is it?:rolleyes:

How so? I purchased some very good quality AcousticResearch gold plated, color coded 5.1 audio cables rom buy.com for around 35 dollars. They now sell for around 70 dollars Buy.com - Acoustic Research PR-136 Pro II Series 5.1 SACD/DVDA Audio Cable Set - PR136N
You think I got ripped off? I sure dont, and Id sure as hell buy a name brand for 35 bucks versus a knockoff for say 16 dollars. DO you have a problem with shopping for great prices on name brands or can you not read? Which is it?:rolleyes:

Not sure why you felt the need to insult the other poster, but to answer your question yes, I think you got ripped off. That is like putting two identical glasses of water next to each other and putting a label on 1 of them. Then saying that the one with the label "sells for $10" but I'll sell it to you for $8. However the one with no label only costs $3. You could have gotten the same glass of water (minus the label) for $5 less. Just because you got something for less than it sells for elsewhere doesn't mean you got a good deal.

Ok so the "pitch" comment was inflammatory and not necessary... and yes, those cables are nice and you got a good price for them, as we should all strive to do when we can. I'm not trying to get on your ignore list. :D

Many many folks who pass by here though should be aware that just because Best Buy says you MUST BUY MONSTER doesn't mean that Monster cables are any better than what you could buy WITH THE SAME specs at Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cable or FireFold or several other places where the business is not soaking you because of your ignorance.

The cheapest cable at Monoprice may not be what you want, but the most expensive cable at Monoprice is at least as good if not better than anything Monster Cable sells. I don't recommend feeding the Monster, but that's me.

My point was not to attack Name Brand cables or the people who buy them - sorry for sounding that way. Emails and posts can take on a life of their own with the wrong tone.

If you want to buy cables for your equipment, the cheapest cables are not your best bet BUT if you study the specs for a quality cable that meets or exceeds your requirements, you can get a great cable for a very good price. Most of the "features" that are used to sell cables are pure marketing and hold no real value, ie... oxygen free copper. All cable companies know this but they also know that the consumer has already bought into the concept so there is no way to stop using those phrases.

So here is my point: Don't feed the Monster.

Ok so the "pitch" comment was inflammatory and not necessary... and yes, those cables are nice and you got a good price for them, as we should all strive to do when we can. I'm not trying to get on your ignore list. :D

Many many folks who pass by here though should be aware that just because Best Buy says you MUST BUY MONSTER doesn't mean that Monster cables are any better than what you could buy WITH THE SAME specs at Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cable or FireFold or several other places where the business is not soaking you because of your ignorance.

The cheapest cable at Monoprice may not be what you want, but the most expensive cable at Monoprice is at least as good if not better than anything Monster Cable sells. I don't recommend feeding the Monster, but that's me.

My point was not to attack Name Brand cables or the people who buy them - sorry for sounding that way. Emails and posts can take on a life of their own with the wrong tone.

If you want to buy cables for your equipment, the cheapest cables are not your best bet BUT if you study the specs for a quality cable that meets or exceeds your requirements, you can get a great cable for a very good price. Most of the "features" that are used to sell cables are pure marketing and hold no real value, ie... oxygen free copper. All cable companies know this but they also know that the consumer has already bought into the concept so there is no way to stop using those phrases.

So here is my point: Don't feed the Monster.
I agree. Monster at Best buy is a rip off. But I am sure I have said that before in this thread.

Best Buy is a real mis-nomer when it comes to buying any kind of cable. I discovered for local stores Home Depot is much cheaper for phone, CAT5 and USB. They also carry A/V though the selection is a bit limited.

My mom bought herself a phillips dvd player with HDMI over the weekend from Wally World. She did not realize that she needed to get the necessary cables as well. The next day before I could order the cable from monoprice.com she bought one for 12.00 from Big-Lots and hooked it up hefself. I came by after work and she was all happy and watching her fav dvd. She remembered my last lecture on how digital signals work or they don't and took a chance.
I would not have bought it but it does show that you do not need 125.00 monster cables or even 30.00 cables from wal-mart to do what you need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)