Status
Please reply by conversation.

ccvalentino

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
maryland
Hello,

I just purchased a 6' BUD from Fridge and working to determine how far away from my house I should place my pole for mounting. I'd like to get as close as possible without hitting the house while maintaining a good arc. I've got a relatively good view of the southern sky from about 30W to 139W. My southern sat is Echostar-1 at 77W with an el of roughly 42 deg. I plan to mount the dish at ~4 feet off the ground.My question is how far away and or/ close should I be from the house to maintain a safe distance and capture a good portion of the available arc?

Thanks,
Chris

Alot of that depends on which side of the house you are wanting to mount it... On the south side there should be no worries. On the north side, well that could pose a problem. Please be a little more specific and is there any way to post a pic of what we are dealing with? Have a great day!

A 6' dish doesn't need as much room as a 10'. But I would allow the room for future expansion. Planting poles can be expensive and kind of permanent. So give yourself 5~6 feet clearance. Make sure you can see over the neighbors house. And make it tall enough for future growth :)

I have mine mounted on a 3 foot mast,3"diameter on my deck which attachés to the house.I prefer it near the house and low to the ground to keep an eye on and for easy maintenance.One other plus having it near the house is that the house blocks out any high winds from the direction of the house,Hers a pic of mine.Update!! After seeing the pic you posted you may need to put the dish higher if you plant it on the south side of the house due to line of site clearance from house to the south.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
I showed my wife and got her input and I think it is good advice!

She suggests to put it in the back yard with the cement pond mainly due to

the side yard does not look all that big and it would obstruct your house.

I think this would also solve the possible problem of clearing the neighbors house!!! ;)

Last edited:
You might want to be a little concerned about the house to the southeast of you that has the big tree, depending how far north/south you live that tree might be an issue even if you are near the height of the arc.

After reveiwing the pic! it looks like you would be ok to put the dish close to the house on the south side if the house to the south is less then aprox 35 feet tall.PS Good spot Stone!!

Thanks for more photos!

I did not see the ku dishes in your first photo so you already have a dish garden there!

There are no windows on your house near the BUDettes so a 6' would not really block

anything. The distance to the fence looks ample too for the BUD. As long as you have a

good LOS and the neighbors house does not interfere then plant it there! :)

So where is the 10' going??? ;)

Last edited:
Yikes.!!!! That looks as bad as some of the HIGHEST priced RV parks. I guess that is why I like being a self contained boon-docker. My nearest southern obstacle is over 5 miles away!

So for that reason -- Your best place for your 10 footer is in my yard!:p

You can see over the top of the cats - to the West are the closest trees we have and they are about 1900 feet away!:D

That looks like it would be a tight squeeze with a 6 footer there! Banging and bumping into it?

Without actual measurements it looks tight but doable.

Maybe he can put the pole in the fence line and let it hang over...

beer belly style!!! :D

Taking a few measurements with both tape and angle finder it looks like the spot in the side of the house will work. The only thing that needs to get by is my push behind lawn mower.

Chris

I highly recommend as someone did above, that you plan the site as if you were putting in a 10ft'r. I started with a 5ft and removed it and replaced it on the same pole with a 7.5ft. I got tired of banging my head while riding and mowing on my other dish, so I put the C Band up higher...

Yikes.!!!! ...My nearest southern obstacle is over 5 miles away!...

...You can see over the top of the cats - to the West are the closest trees we have and they are about 1900 feet away!:D

I can send you a few thousand fast growing tree seedlings

if that would make you feel better!!!... :p

Guys,

Pole went into the ground tonight 36" from the house with a little over 3' in the ground and 4' above.

Chris

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)