where's a good place to find a Primestar dish ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.

Once in a while I see a Direct Tv installer driving by, but have not had an encounter where they were parked at a house and I could just ask them about the old big Primestars.

There used to be so many Dish Network and Direct TV storefront locations, but those are extinct around me, everything is a 1-800 number nowadays.

Made a few phone calls, one guy told me he tossed all his primestars out, OUCH !
and one guy who had a spare quoted me $90 for it, then I informed him that for that price I could just buy a new offset dish with shipping, he then counteroffered for $45, but I'm not too excited.

Anyone have a suggestion ?

Once in a while I see a Direct Tv installer driving by, but have not had an encounter where they were parked at a house and I could just ask them about the old big Primestars.

There used to be so many Dish Network and Direct TV storefront locations, but those are extinct around me, everything is a 1-800 number nowadays.

Made a few phone calls, one guy told me he tossed all his primestars out, OUCH !
and one guy who had a spare quoted me $90 for it, then I informed him that for that price I could just buy a new offset dish with shipping, he then counteroffered for $45, but I'm not too excited.

Anyone have a suggestion ?

See if there is a freecycle yahoo group for your city and put in an add asking for one .

Also , drive around with your eyes open .

Wyr

Getting one online, shipping charges would be a killer seeing how shipping would be at least $25 + cost of packaging.

I found mine at a local Directv dealer. I have one left, if interested I would send it to you if you pay the shipping - providing I can find a box large enough!

I found mine at a local Directv dealer. I have one left, if interested I would send it to you if you pay the shipping - providing I can find a box large enough!

iafirebuff thank you for your offer, but I'll keep trying locally because shipping might not be an economical option.

I have my eye on a Sadoun auction for 2x 90cm dishes , as usual I have a if it was meant to be mentality, I try not to get too excited about anything, seems that a dish will probably come my way when I least expect it.

I joined one of my local Freecycle's yesterday and put a anouncement for a dish that someone may not care for anymore, will see how that goes.

I do know more or less where most big ku dishes are in my neighborhood, I know of a 1.8 meter on a closed down business, I can call the realtor but I can't expect them to pull it down for me, I need a BIG ladder to get up there and that's not happening.

I'll be more aggressive this week and post if I've had luck by next week.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I'm gonna have to work on it and see what happens.

I recommend looking in the phone book for Directv/Dish installers and calling them and seeing if they have any. I got 2 for $30 from a local installer :)

Back in the day, 2000-2001. you could get one for $25 including shipping on ebay. It's cheaper now to buy another dish that is the same size if you can't find a free one.

For a free 1.8m dish, I'd buy or rent a big ladder. :eureka
It's the truck to haul it away I might have trouble with.
Renting an open trailer might work...

For a free 1.8m dish, I'd buy or rent a big ladder. :eureka
It's the truck to haul it away I might have trouble with.
Renting an open trailer might work...

I'm in over my head, just picked up 2x 90cm Fortec dish from Sadoun ebay auction at $97 including shipping, not bad considering my first dish purchase was more.

The 1.8 I'd love to have, motorized of course, goodbye rain fade, but for now I'm happy with what I have, If a large Primestar dish comes my way I'll jump on it, plenty of friends and family I can convince to go FTA.

Right now my acquisition is going to free up my motorized setup which is used by my Mom the most, she'll get a stationary dish for her Hispasat, and I'll be content tying up my STB with blindscan looking for feeds.

Went looking for some Primestar dishes today. Just go to farm country, and avoid any areas that are newly developed. I found 3 of them today, nobody home at 2 of the houses, and the 3rd lied to me and told me he still has Primestar service. Going back tomorrow probably to check on the other 2 again, one of them is a 1m, the other a 84cm.

Also saw several 1m Channelmasters with some other kind of logo on them, but never got close enough to read what it said. I suspect it is something farming related. They all looked old, so maybe they aren't in use anymore either. Those seemed to all be on the ground on NPRMs.

BUD heaven out there too, saw at least 50 of them, all mesh, a few did have H-H mounts. I have known where a Birdview is with a H-H mount for a couple of years now, the lady doesn't use it, but she hasn't let me haul it away yet. Maybe I should go see her again.

There is a guy selling new Starband 75E dishes on flebay now for about $50 shipped. Includes everything but the feed/LNB assy, even the J mount. Same as the Primestar 75E, except it is skewable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts