Where's the NEW HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The Only HD channels I really miss since switching from Dish are BBC America HD, DIY HD, and the rest of the HBO HD Suite. I really want those, it wouldn't hurt to get History International, and AMC HD as well.

John

The Only HD channels I really miss since switching from Dish are BBC America HD, DIY HD, and the rest of the HBO HD Suite. I really want those, it wouldn't hurt to get History International, and AMC HD as well.

John

My #1 is BBCA before Series 6 of Doctor Who. I'd also like History International in HD as well. Watching the old film reel in "WW2 in HD" in SD, because of its ironic recursive nature, could possibly cause a black hole and I'd like that not to happen.

Where's the NEW HD?

With other providers.

Well since you DID ask - this is the missing D* HD's that Comcast NOW offers on our system as of last month:

- History International
- TruTV
- HLN
- TCM
- E!
- Style
- G4
- TV One
- IFC
- We
- Fuse
- Investigation Discovery
- QVC & HSN (yea, I know they are ONLY shopping ch, but at least they are the "mainstream" ones...)

Also, we have had AMC AND LMN for over 1/2 a year BEFORE this recent HD festivus

Oh, forgot they DID add more HD premiums as well - the MIA from D* we got:

- Action MAX
- 5* MAX
- HBO Comedy

(HBO Sign & Family, as well as MoreMAX are supposed to be coming soon)

U-verse is also available in my neighborhood now, but honestly, I doubt I could deal with the way slower max internet speeds than what I get on CC now. (16/2) Not to mention all the horror stories I've read on how VERY compressed their HD is. (but their HD lineup IS very impressive, which makes their other shortcomings even more frustrating)

But bottom line - D* is now DEAD LAST in true, national, non-RSN/PPV HD channels for our area... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
But bottom line - D* is now DEAD LAST in true, national, non-RSN/PPV HD channels for our area... :rolleyes:
Yep in our area as well.
2nd most Expensive when my Phone and Internet Sevices are Bundled.
Dish with their equipment fee's still top the prices in my area.

Looks like spring going to be another provider switch for me.

i am switching a tthe end of this month and do wish TCM HD & AMC HD would be added soon. Even with just SD I'll stil be paying less than what I pay dish for not having them at all. I guess that's something!

How does the SD look on Directv (on a 720p hdtv). Do you let the native pass through come through, or set the box to output the TV resolution on everything? I don't mind pass through being slower if the TV handles the picture better than the box.

My #1 is BBCA before Series 6 of Doctor Who. I'd also like History International in HD as well. Watching the old film reel in "WW2 in HD" in SD, because of its ironic recursive nature, could possibly cause a black hole and I'd like that not to happen.

#3 For Dr. Who in HD

They will throw us a bone after they raise our prices in Feb. One channel you will probably see in HD will be Tru tv because of the basketball games in March.
I hope so...not because of the basketball but the other programs on there :)
All Worked Up
Bait Car
Hardcore Pawn
Operation Repo

:)

How does the SD look on Directv (on a 720p hdtv).
Comments usually range from fair to poor.

Native is supported on the HD boxes, but there are some performance degradation issues often associated with running in native mode on anything other than the latest models.

I have a 32" 720p and just leave it set for 720p and 480p, no need for native as it slows down channel changing. SD is OK. On My 63" it's poor.

on both my 32" and 42" SD isnt that bad. Way better than some of the subchannels I get OTA (they use little bandwidth for them)

I am in an area with a good amount of providers. One of them, Comcast, has the following channels in basics which I am not getting in HD from DirecTV.

In order of their channel assignment (in the 200s and 300s from DirecTV):
HLN HD
GSN HD
Style HD
E! HD
HSN HD
truTV HD
LMN HD
AMC HD
TCM HD
We HD
HInt'l HD
QVC HD
iD HD
TVOne HD
GMC HD
FUSE HD
[non-premium, in the 500s] IFC HD

Formerly carried by DirecTV:
G4 HD

In premium-movies (in the 500s), the following (italics are SD screens not even carried by DirecTV; they're east-coast only):
HBOS HD
HBOF HD
HBOC HD
HBOL HD
MOmax HD
ACTmax HD
THRmax HD
5*max HD
OUTmax HD

I left Comcast for DirecTV in the late-1990s. To turn around more than 10 years later, and see them having caught up and now surpassing DirecTV with high-def basics is an example of how one must keep score if they want to be getting the best of what one can go after. I am under contract with DirecTV for a bit longer; it has to do with equipment. Now, I am not doing any upgrades because I am tracking the lineups, pricing, etc. from area providers. If DirecTV continues to fail to bring its basics in HD in line with competition, throughout 2011, there's a good chance I'll move on.

DS0816 said:
I am in an area with a good amount of providers. One of them, Comcast, has the following channels in basics which I am not getting in HD from DirecTV.

HLN HD
GSN HD
Style HD
E! HD
HSN HD
truTV HD
LMN HD
AMC HD
TCM HD
We HD
HInt'l HD
QVC HD
iD HD
TVOne HD
GMC HD
FUSE HD

G4 HD

In premium-movies (in the 500s), the following (italics are SD screens not even carried by DirecTV; they're east-coast only):
HBOS HD
HBOF HD
HBOC HD
HBOL HD
MOmax HD
ACTmax HD
THRmax HD
5*max HD
OUTmax HD

I left Comcast for DirecTV in the late-1990s. To turn around more than 10 years later, and see them having caught up and now surpassing DirecTV with high-def basics is an example of how one must keep score if they want to be getting the best of what one can go after. I am under contract with DirecTV for a bit longer; it has to do with equipment. Now, I am not doing any upgrades because I am tracking the lineups, pricing, etc. from area providers. If DirecTV continues to fail to bring its basics in HD in line with competition, throughout 2011, there's a good chance I'll move on.

Amen to that I've got about 8 months left.

HLN HD
GSN HD
Style HD
E! HD
HSN HD
truTV HD
LMN HD
AMC HD
TCM HD
We HD
HInt'l HD
QVC HD
iD HD
TVOne HD
GMC HD
FUSE HD

G4 HD

HBOS HD
HBOF HD
HBOC HD
HBOL HD
MOmax HD
ACTmax HD
THRmax HD
5*max HD
OUTmax HD

Comcast in my area also has much more national HD than DirecTV. Such as AMC HD and TCM HD,

I will switch to Comcast on Feb 10 - which is the date my contract with DirecTV ends.

Comcast has a 30 day money back guarantee. If I am happy with the picture quality, the DVR, the remote, etc I will cancel DirecTV and keep Comcast.

I hate to leave DirecTV; but if I want additional HD and I want it now (Feb. 10) that is the only option.

IMO, D* should have any premium channel available in HD in their line up. Beyond that, there are few mainstream channels that still are not offered that not available that many people would enjoy. I think the bigger problem is how much they step on (overcompress) the SD versions. If they did not kill the image quality they way that they do, I do not think folks would be nearly as upset as they are. I mean at this point in time, who is really watching on 27" (or less) TV as their main viewing TV. I am sure it is not a very large percentage of people. Don't want to offer BBC HD, fine, but please stop turning the SD version into a blurry mess.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)