Which coax

Sharkdiver

Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
I'm in the process of planning a new home, am wanting your input on what coax to use, and have a few questions. I'm planning to install a Structured Media Enclosure that will house CATV, DBS satellite, telephone, and 10/100/1000 network. I would prefer to only have to buy 1 type of cable that can pull triple-duty with the planned CATV, cable broadband internet, and satellite. I had planned on using Belden 7916A Quad Sheild coax throughout for this, but I have a complicating factor. I want to install the satellite on a pole in the backyard (has clear view to southern skyline) versus putting it on the house. I plan on running conduit from the attic to the pole but I'm not sure if I should use a direct burial coax in the conduit or not. Belden (nor anybody else that I could find) does not make a direct burial quad shield cable with a solid copper center conductor. Or would I be better off going with a copper covered steel cable over the 7916A? I want the quad sheild cable because the enclosure will be right next to a security alarm panel in a closet and I don't want problems with interference between the 2, plus a have a stockpile of Thomas & Betts quad sheild compression connectors on hand. I've read that a solid copper conductor is better for satellite, especially with Dishnetwork's Dishpro setups. I have a legacy Dish500 setup now, but will most likely upgrade either when I move or at some point in the future. I'm not sure which is "better" for broadband but the cable company installed a quad sheild cable with a copper covered steel conductor when they installed my present setup. I may also want to carry video from a central PVR server over the coax and again I've read solid copper is the way to go with that. So given all that, here are some questions:
1) Which cable/s would you use?
2) Is it exceptable to run non-direct burial cable underground through conduit?
3) Is there any limit on how far switches, such as a SW64 or SP34, can be from the LNBF? I'm aware of the 100/200' limit placed on the recievers.
4) My legacy LNBF's have dual outputs on each LNBF,ie no intergrated switches. Is the signal already combined on the DishPro setups so it only requires 1 feed that goes straight to the reciever?
5) I've been eyeing the VIP622 receiver, is the TV2 out on it worth fooling with or is still better to just have a reciever at each TV?

That coax work just fine for all your needs.

It will also work just fine in conduit. Make sure your conduit is water tight. The only problem with burying non-direct burial coax in the ground is, should that coax be cut and exposed to water, the water will migrate along the braid. You will need to replace as much as several feet on both sides of a break, if the ends are sitting in water before they are repaired.
Direct burial cable has a compound inside that prevents water from migrating along the braid. The cable also has a different jacket type. This type of cable called Flooded Cable, in referance to the compound that is flooded inside the jacket.
If placed in conduit,and if you can pull new cable through, should it ever be required. Your just fine with your plans.

I would run at least 4 coaxs inside a 1-1/2 conduit.

As far as distance, the DP or DPP LNBS, (you will use the DPP with a 622) can operate very comfortably at 200' from LNB to receiver.

The TV2 output on the 622 is OK for a tube TV in a bedroom, but not for a LCD, DLP or plasma anywhere. I like to use the both tuners at the main TV anyway. We try to install the 2TV to an exercise room, or better yet a garage or kitchen. Some place a tuner is hard to locate.

Yeah, I kinda figured I was getting too caught up in the specs with the cable and that the 7916 would be fine. I could use poly pipe over conduit to cut down on leakage even more, but why I thought I'd use PVC conduit is so that I can put the service elbows at each end to allow me to replace or add cable easily at will. Was thinking I could blow a hole in the mounting pipe with a torch and secure that end to it with an electrical box fitting and run the cable up the center of the mounting pole to the dish. Then I could seal the conduit with silicone at several locations. I've never worked with the poly pipe so I'm not familair with the fittings that are available for it. Prehaps there are some that would allow me to use it in a similair fashion with maybe a weathertight enclosure designed just for this?

Thanks for the info on the 622 as well. There will be at least 2 HDTVs involved. A plasma in the living room and a smaller LCD in the bedroom, so I guess I'll end up with 2 HD receivers anyway. Speaking of the 622, can you download the recordings from it to an external hard drive? I'd like to be able to record some of them to DVD. I suppose I could do it in realtime hooked up to a DVD recorder, but that would be insanely slow. :)

Dish has a portable device, but I am not aware of how to down to a HD.

I would not mess with running the cable inside the pipe. Just run the conduit along side the mast and install a weather head. If you cut a hole in the 1-5/8" pole, you will weaken the mast.

Wasn't planning on using a 1 5/8" pipe, if you're referring to the cyclone fence posts. I was looking more into something custom, like a piece of 2" square steel tubing. Or maybe a 2" or 3" steel pipe. Something that can stand up to impacts from lawnmowers, kids, and etc.

Fence post are only good for low (less then 3 feet high). We prefer 1-1/4 water pipe or rigid conduit (same material). It is sch 40 and tough. There is nothing wrong with starting larger and adapting down. Very wise idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts