Which direction do I go?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mick d

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
ne texas
Hey guys Looks like I may fixing to score a 10' mesh dish. May also be getting a houston tracker receiver with it. I figure the receiver is obsolete but may be used just to power the actuator if need be? What in your opinion is the best way to go as far as receiver, lnb and anything else I may need to get the most out of my new found hobby. I have dtv sub so I am really just talkin fta. Thanks for any info. Also have a viewsat ultra for ku band but figured that it would not do for c band or would it?

Last edited:
Yea, the Viewsat should work on C-band just fine . :)

The Houston can move the dish, and adjust the corotor for Vert/Horiz polarity.
I consider that a pretty crude setup, but if it suits you, and it gets you going, then go for it. - :up

Is this for C-band only? No Ku?
That's probably what the existing feed is set up for , now. (?)

There are some dandy single output (or even two-output) C-band only LNBFs.
They'd work fine, and the Viewsat would control polarity electrically (13v = Vert, 18v = Horiz).
The representative examples given, are the C1 and C2 LNBF from SatelliteAV.
Should be relatively easy to setup and get going.

If you wanted C-band and Ku-band on the 10' dish, there are dual-band LNBFs.
SatelliteAV and Sadoun sell the Ck-1, and WSI/GalaxyMarketing sells the DMX741. (I wouldn't get the Universal model unless I was sure I needed it!)
Both seem to be liked by the members.
Both will be tricky to align on Ku band.
Each LNBF has one output for C, and one output for Ku.

If you are using the Viewsat and want to move the dish, the best thing we've found is the Gbox 3000 from Sadoun.
See the review of it in our Hardware Review department, for more info.
Most of the other items mentioned can be found there , too. - :up

edit:
Also, all three of the vendors mentioned above, are active on our forum, and provide quite good service to the members.
They often announce new products to us first.
And, when there are problems, the listen and are helpful.
For everyday install and tuneup, then don't get involved.

Thanks Anole, No I don't think I will try to use it for ku band since I read that the ku would pass thru the mesh. I was wondering what receiver would get the most fta channels. I don't need 4dtv rec? I heard good things about a merc II.

I was wondering what receiver would get the most fta channels.
I don't need 4dtv rec? I heard good things about a merc II.
A 4DTV receiver will move the dish, and control a corotor servo or work a voltage controlled LNBF.
It's for subscription TV. We have a whole department devoted to the subject.
If what's available is attractive, go for it.
I personally didn't care for the older and somewhat limited technology.
Plus, 4DTV is past end-of-life. I don't see anyone putting any effort into keeping it alive.
No new receivers. No new programming (less programming, and bundles, in fact).
Still, if you research it and like it, go for it.

Here are some good quality standard definition FTA receivers you might consider:
- Mercury II, or any of its replacements
- Coolsat 5000 or 6000
- Visionsat IV-200, which can also record with an external USB hard drive
- Pansat 3500 (or 2700?) which can run a co-rotor, if that's useful to you.

I have all of the first three, and would nudge you toward the Visionsat, but all are great choices to get started.
By that, I mean all have been top-rated receivers (not bargain basement models), but all are now -mature-

The future is in HD, and 4:2:2, and S2 transmissions, but as there are no clear market-winners right now, I'd suggest you get going with one of the above, and then re-evaluate your receiver choice in a year.

I have a 10' mesh with an old analog receiver to move it. I use the BSC621-2 LNBF to receive both C and Ku. You just have to play with the distance and skew to find a happy medium to receive both. To start, any FTA receiver should be good. I got a cheap Coolsat 6000 off of ebay and that is plenty to get started. - Read though my old posts/threads if you have questions on setting up the 10' dish with the 621 LNBF. You will want to get your dish dialed before Fall and Winter.

Well I got a 8' aluminum mesh dish in decent shape, Let me update ya. I have a 31" dish for my ku. Would I receive more ku channels by putting a c/ku lnb on my big dish and would that effect my c band quality? Do they make a receiver and actuator/motor combo for big dish that controls thru just coax like my little dish? Probably just too much amperage I would think.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts