Which do I aim for?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How about just using the parameters that the rec gives you ?

Chances are if I'm out at a sub's setting up a dish, I don't HAVE a computer to look this stuff up to see what pole or tree a block away might cause issues.
Use what the rec. says as a starting point and go from there.

Most important, make sure everything is plumb.

My point is as I stated: There's no point trying to figure out what your latitude and longitude numbers are if you can pick your dish location out in a satellite photograph.
My point is that dishpointer.com actually shows the angle to the satellite from the location you enter. So if entering your street address will get you close then use that. Then you can adjust the location. Now if you are in the boonies, the lat/long would get the answer.

In my county the azimuth varies by 1 degree and the elevation varies by .5 degrees. Looking it up is just too quick and easy to ignore.As I said earlier, while street addresses can be way off, the maps and photographs are right on. I invited everyone to provide evidence to the contrary but thus far there aren't any takers.

KInda hard to provide the evidence when my area hasn't been photographed yet.:p

Dishpointer is a good site, and when used in conjunction with google maps, I can see how that would work.

However, we don't know what type of dish the OP had, and since he hasn't returned to update this thread we may never know. Like I said in my first post in this thread, it makes a difference what type of dish it is since that's what determines which sat it is pointed at.

In my county the azimuth varies by 1 degree and the elevation varies by .5 degrees. Looking it up is just too quick and easy to ignore.

The degrees do change when I go from city A to city E; barely, if any. But whether you enter your exact address or just your zip code you will lock onto the satellite either way. Just what iwc5893 said in other words, theres no need to be 100% precise when trying to lock onto a satellite for the first time because you will end up fine tuning the dish for peak signal once you lock on. Entering in your street address is longer and could be ignored.

As I said earlier, while street addresses can be way off, the maps and photographs are right on. I invited everyone to provide evidence to the contrary but thus far there aren't any takers.

As I said yesterday, it doesn't matter how off the streets are or how accurate the maps and photographs are as long as the parameters given are correct thats all that matters when pointing a dish

Street address are known to be way off. Even google knows this. Isn't it obvious that if the street address are off its likely that the "photographs" depicting the locations of the street address would be off? If you are so excited about having evidence that is contrary to the photographs being dead on take a minute and google "Coordinates Off on Satellite" and click on the first link.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sell me on DirecTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts