"Which HDnet Movies movies have you seen? Would you like to post your review of them?

School Ties - 3.5 stars: Good movie, tackling some pretty big issues like honor and prejudice. Great cast of youngsters who went on to be pretty big stars -- Brendan Fraser, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Chris O'Donnell. It was, however, pretty predictable even if you're not trying to guess what's gonna happen -- it's just kinda obvious.

long_time_DNC said:
I liked Ghost Dog quite a bit. The one guy talking french and Whittaker talking english and somehow they just sort of intuitively knew what the other was saying...that was also priceless. :)
I agree -- that was a nice touch.

BAT 21 - 3.5 stars. Terrific movie, based loosely on a true story. Hackman, Glover and Reed did a great job on this one, with no one phoning-in their parts. They brought to life the true rescue story of Col. Hambledon, even if it wasn't really how it happened.

War is an ugly thing and this film didn't waste time glorifying it. It just told it like it was. I sincerely wish the DVD was closer in image and sound quality to HDNet's broadcast.

Fright Night 3.5 stars I saw this one when it first came out on VHS a few times. A very good movie about Charlie Brewster who finds out that he has a vampire moving next to him. Peter Vincent who is an actor and his Fright Night show gets canceled helps Charlie get rid of the Vampire. Evil is a very interesting character but he does not last too long.

The Legend of Billie Jean - 3 stars: So bad. So cheesy. So...so... '80's! I kinda love it. Back when I was a 14-year-old Timm I thought this movie was the coolest thing ever. Now that I can see how awful it really is...... I still love it anyway. And I still love Helen Slater, too. And how fabulous was Pat Benatar's Invincible in this film?

Bat21 3.0 stars. a very good story about Lt. Col. Iceal Hambleton who is taken down by a missile and found himself in the middle of his own destructive mission field. The are side stories which are sad and sometimes nonsensical. Overall a good movie that tries to get to the horror of war.

Hell in the Pacific 3.5 stars This is quite an interested movie. I saw it long long time ago. If you look at it carefully, there is only two actors during the whole movie -- Lee Marvin & Toshiro Mifune. Toshiro is the one we find in lots of the Samurai movies. He expresses the same manerism in this movie. The movie itself has quite lots of interested moments. When both men first faced each other on the beach, each looks at each other and think what could happen to each other if anyone strikes. The cinematography used was the same used in the good, the bad and the ugly in the last confrotantion scene between the good and the bad. Then there is the moment in which Toshiro sets smokes to the island. The moment in which Lee throws bullets to the fire so that they can go off and then literally pisses on Toshiro. At the end both of them realize that they should start working together if they want to get out of the island. They find friendship but then realized that friendship is very far away when the problems of war are reminded once again through a LIFE magazine found. My guess in the end is that neither.... well I do not want to spoil it for you...

Red Corner 3.5 stars This is a very good film about the Chinese justice system and the corruption within it when you have a centralized system. At one point, I felt sorry for the Chairman Judge (I forget her correct title used in the movie). It looked like she wanted to do the right thing but the political pressure put on her by the government officials was too much. Richard Gere delivers a good performance in this movie. I can't see why he decided to leave the embassy after an attempt assassination. I know I wouldn't do it and no one in his/her own mind would do it but fiction writing is another thing.

The Andromeda Strain (1971) 4.5 stars Excellent sci-fi film. Very slow some may argue but that I did not find it that way since I was immersed in the movie from the beginning. The outdated computer technology (according to today's standard) makes you think of all the possibilities and I'd bet the gov. already has implanted most of that technology. According to the film it is based on a true story but I do not know since I haven't read or heard about this incident publicly. The end leaves you with a question mark. Did they get rid of the strain or not?

Scarface (1983) OAR 2:35:1 4.0 stars. This an excellent film - a classic. The whole movie could be summaried with the following phrase: "The World is Yours". Tony Montana was too ambitious and this cost him his life and everything that he had. Everything means "illegal". Here is a character that is killed and yet you find no compassion for him. He is a psycho who most of the time cares about himself only (like an animal in the jungle) and sometimes shows human compassion (not killing the family in the car). The HD transfer is nothing to rave about but it is ok.

The Running Man (1963) OAR 2:35:1. 3.5 stars. Very good film about a couple who are involved in an insurance scam. The husband fakes his death and lets the wife collects the insurance money. Later on when she has the money they both meet in Spain and think that they have done it! they have fooled everyone and got away with the scam. But no they did not. They have something bigger to fear and they will find out soon....

A Fistful of Dollars (1964) OAR 2:35:1 4.0 stars. This is an excellent film from the triology of Sergio Leone (For a Few Dollars & the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly). According to IMDB this film was inspired by Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo(1961) (See the Voom thread about this movie). The story is simple and yet complicated. The fact that the movie was aired 2:35:1 makes you appreciate the genius of Sergio Leone. He captures scenes that later on will serve the model for modern films. The negative of the movie is that this movie original language is Italian and it is dubbed into English. I have not seen a copy of this movie with subtitles but there should be one because the dubbing just destroys the movie. This is more significant when the little boy is crying about his mom. You can't tell where the voice is coming from. This is why every foreign film should be aired in its original language and with subtitles.

The Odd Couple (1968) OAR 2:35:1 1.5 stars this one was a sleeper. I am biased about this because I was raised to watch the Odd Couple Tv series with Tony Randall as Felix. Now seeing Jack Lemon play Felix for the first time, it does not feel the same. Even though I know that the 1968 movie came before the Tv series, I feel that the Tv series had a better plot and amusing characters. I remember that one of my favorite episodes was when Felix and Oscar were stuck in the NYC subway and Felix tries to demonstrate to Oscar that New Yorkers are nice people. I know some will disagree with me but I felt that Jack Lemon and Walter Matthua did not play it as I expected.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) 2:35:1 OAR. 5.0 stars. Without a doubt the best Science Fiction movie ever made. It is amazing that this movie was made in 1968 and yet it shows technological advances that we are yet to see. Look at the scene of the moon. I believe that when this movie was done the landing to the moon had yet to happen. Take a look at the traveling between moon & Earth -- incredible. About Hal 9000, he is the most controvertial character in the movie. He raises the question should we leave everything up to computers or should we humans have more control over our own destinity and not leave it up to a machine that will have a mind of its own. I like the references to terms like "ATM" and "COM" on the screen of the spaceship. It is a beautiful film yet it is hard to swallow astronauts sending themselve into space flying to get from one point to another since everything that physics tells us that in a space vacuum there will be no resitance and therefore anything will fly with great speed. The ending is also open for discussion. I have yet to follow what the ending was supposed to be. In 2010 the ending is clear but not here. Maybe this is what makes this film so wonderful. Do I need to speak about the HD tranfer. No. best I have ever seen. A beauty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts