"Which HDnet Movies movies have you seen? Would you like to post your review of them?

I know somewhere along my college days I read the novel but I can't remember what was the explanation.

2010 (1984) 4.0 stars. A continuation of 2001. 9 years later they want to know what happened to the discovery mission. Boy they are surprised as to what happens. This one had a very good HD transfer. It was great to watch them both back to back.

Cruel Intentions - 3.5 stars: Kinda cheesy and not real believable at times, but tons of fun nonetheless. Sexy young cast, sexy old story. Reese Witherspoon, Salma Blair, and Sarah Michelle Gellar pretty much keep me glued to the screen. The Blair/Gellar kissing scene alone makes this movie worth watching. And it has a pretty cool soundtrack too.

long_time_DNC said:
It was interesting to see some of the similarities between A Fistful of Dollars and the modern day remake starring Bruce Willis, Last Man Standing. Hard to beat the ending confrontation in A Fistful of Dollars though. :)

Amen one of my alltime favorites!

Valmont (1989) - 2 stars: Another one of those "dangerous liaisons" movies. The only thing that sets this one apart for me is the presence of the lovely Fairuza Balk. I love her. Can't get enough of her. Here she is. When she's not on screen however, the movie tends to drag and struggles to hold my interest.

Lost In Translation - 3 stars: This is a very slow, almost dull movie -- but the whole point of it seems to be to show how miserable you can be in a strange place when you don't know anybody and don't have much to do, so it sort of works. I probably wouldn't like this movie as much if it didn't have Scarlett Johannson. But it does. And I'd give two stars to a movie if it was nothing but a photograph of her being shown for two hours. Here she actually moves and talks and stuff. And is frequently in her underwear (best opening shot of a movie ever?). And oh, yeah, Bill Murray is okay. And rarely in his underwear.

The Shinning 4.5 stars This is one of my favorite movies. Nicholson is just perfect for this film. The story is excellent. Nothing much to say about it. You just have to sit down and enjoy the film.

Miracle on Mountain Kincaid (2000) 3.5 stars. I was surprised by this made for Tv movie. A story about a father trying to deal with his daughter and son teenager years. It is quite a shame that something like this has to happen in order to bring them close together but it did.

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005) 5.0 stars. I missed it the first time around. It is an excellent documentary outlining the corporate and political corruption. What a documentary!!!!!!

I echo Sean's assessment of "The Smartest Guys In The Room". You might think, "Oh, a documentary can't be that good", but rest assured, it is.

Empire of the Sun (1987) 4.0 stars. Excellent film. A young boy is left behind in a war conflict with the Japanese before the Atomic Bomb is dropped. How a young boy would react? Young Christian Bale gives an astouning performance. Later on one can see his movies and one can say that he has not changed much. He delivers an excellent performance. Various Oscar this film won and I watched it before and still find it an excellent film with excellent panoramic. The music is just increadible as well. Watch it if you haven't.

Straw Dogs (1971) 4.0 Stars. This a very controversial movie because the way the director present us the story. What is the theme of the film? I guess there are many and anyone is welcome to jump in. I find it fascinating that even though it was not such a great transfer (the master must not have been in good condition) the film captivated me until the end. The story of Amy (Susan George) and David (Dustin Hoffman). They are a married couple who have moved to a secluded village (out of the USA). David is writting a book and needs piece and quiet. The village is the place where Amy was born and raised. The first moment of trouble occurs while young Janice is walking down the street showing her mini, mini skirt and her nipples are bouncing very sexy down the street. There's someone in the midsts who has been caught molesting young girls and the villager's or family of the young girl are worried about it. Amy does not care about that and she flirts with the man of the village that David has hired to finish his garage. Amy gets raped by two of these man. Amy had a prior relationship with one of them. I do not advocate that rape is good at all but some blame needs to be put on Amy as well. She walks in the house without shirt on showing her breast to the man. The whole plot gets more complicated because the same rapist can't stand the thought of having young Susan being molested by one man in the village. The whole plot gets upside down when villagers find out about it (even though it was not true). The man ends up in David's house and David (unaware of the crime the man may have been committed or unaware that his wife was raped) defends him because he wants to show that in his house no one tells him what to do. This is a very good film and it has such a good stories that one can pick on anyone of them and develop a whole discussion.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (1966 Extended English Edition) 4.5 stars No matter how many times I have seen this film, I never get bored. There were some scenes that I do not remember seeing before on this one. Tuco is a character that makes this movie fun.

Sean Mota said:
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (1966 Extended English Edition) 4.5 stars No matter how many times I have seen this film, I never get bored. There were some scenes that I do not remember seeing before on this one. Tuco is a character that makes this movie fun.

Yes Ditto!!! Also you are right Tuco makes this movie! Clint as always perfect!

Sean Mota said:
I don't know how many times I've seen this movie, but it's timeless. This remastered version does indeed contain several restored scenes that help some later scenes make more sense.

Does anyone else think that running "The Towering Inferno" on HDNet Movies tonight is borderline tacky considering the 5th anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center?

Foxbat said:
Does anyone else think that running "The Towering Inferno" on HDNet Movies tonight is borderline tacky considering the 5th anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center?

Yeah, it is tacky. They have been running it for the past month; somebody in scheduling wasn't thinking! :)

White Man's Burden (1995) 3.5 stars. A reverse of today's reality? I have always believe that one can never put on someone's shoes until you start wearing them. This movie also believes that social-economic factors can make people to do crime. I do not think anyone will dispute this. It also emphasized lots of today's stereotypes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts