Which is Better, Ext HD or 722

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
I have a 622... i've only been with Dish for a few months. I'm a little annoyed they introduce a rec with more capacity right after I get the 622.

In any event, if I find myself running low on space, which would be better to do? BUy an ext HD or buy a 722? How much would it cost me to get a 722? Will they allow me to install myself or do I need to have an installer?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The 722 really doesn't offer any advantage over the 622 at this time. Go with the Hard Drive. You can always use down the road on a replacement 722 if things ever go that way.

I have a 622... i've only been with Dish for a few months. I'm a little annoyed they introduce a rec with more capacity right after I get the 622.

In any event, if I find myself running low on space, which would be better to do? BUy an ext HD or buy a 722? How much would it cost me to get a 722? Will they allow me to install nsyelf or do I need to have an installer?

Thanks!

$120 HD vs $550 722? You are only going to get about 15-20 (if that) more hours from the 722 since it is partitioned for VOD recording only. You can get about 80 hrs on an external.

I like the 722 over the HD because you get more time to work with on the internal drive, until the external works more like an internal it's only useful on TV1 and to archive something that has been recorded. once the fall tv shows start you'll be doing a lot of off loading to the external where the 722 will give you a few more days of HD space to work with before having to archive. though the price of the 722 is pretty expensive.

I was under the impression that the 722 had no additional user accessible recording space, that all the additional space was reserved for Dish and their pay per view. Am I misinformed?

If I am right, then the choice is easy. The external drive all the way as the 722 will give you no additional recording time.

Looks like I might have been incorrect, I found some info that said there was 55 hours of HD recording. Since I currently have 30 hours, that is significantly more.

Personally??? The hard drive is still a better deal. For $100 I bought an external 500 gig drive, which gives me much more space than even the 722. It is true that you have slightly less functionality with recordings on the external drive, so that is a trade off, but for me the savings are worth it.

the 722 does have 55 hours of HD recordable space available that wasn't partitioned for VOD. I don't recall how much the 622 has but the 722 definitely has more space.

By the end of year, all of HD on E* will be MPEG4 (most of it is MPEG4 right now). You should be able to get 60 hours of HD in MPEG4 on a 622. Don't forget that you will still be recording some SD channels too which use a lot less space.

60 hours should be plenty for temporary week-to-week storage. Remember that you can play recordings directly off the external hard drive - you don't have to move them back to the 622.

PS It's possible that the hours estimate for the 722 takes into account that some of the HD will be MPEG4...

In any event, if I find myself running low on space, which would be better to do? BUy an ext HD or buy a 722? How much would it cost me to get a 722? Will they allow me to install myself or do I need to have an installer?

Thanks!

Welcome to the world of there's always someting bigger / faster / better / cheaper just around the corner!sadroll. Aside from the bigger disk and the black paint the two units sure appear to be twins. Save yourself $400 or so and buy the external drive.

As I found the closed captions (CC) work better on the 722. I think the OTA reception is a tad weaker on the 722--my second PBS station is just under the threshold of continuous reception. The 622 got it enough of the time. I am at 48.5 miles from the low-power tower. The video processor (Broadcom) may be better/faster and that may account for the CC improvement.

-Ken

By the end of year, all of HD on E* will be MPEG4 (most of it is MPEG4 right now). You should be able to get 60 hours of HD in MPEG4 on a 622. Don't forget that you will still be recording some SD channels too which use a lot less space.

60 hours should be plenty for temporary week-to-week storage. Remember that you can play recordings directly off the external hard drive - you don't have to move them back to the 622.

PS It's possible that the hours estimate for the 722 takes into account that some of the HD will be MPEG4...

We'll see how the time changes when all HD is MPEG4, also you can play off the drive on TV1 only, so that kind of sucks.

I can't wait until the all MPEG4 E*, i'm hoping SD channels PQ increase.