which ku dish?

IntelPennny4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
USA
so im going to be buying a 1.2 ku dish bc thats the biggest ill need for my area. wanted to know if a geosatpro or a channel master was better. let me know and ill go from there thanks

so im going to be buying a 1.2 ku dish bc thats the biggest ill need for my area. wanted to know if a geosatpro or a channel master was better. let me know and ill go from there thanks

Where are you sourcing the Channel Master? I don't have a 1.2 m GSP but I have the .9 m version and I like it a lot. I've always wanted a 1.2 m but the shipping costs are a deal killer for me. Although I've been looking for a while I don't see anything on the used market.

Where are you sourcing the Channel Master? I don't have a 1.2 m GSP but I have the .9 m version and I like it a lot. I've always wanted a 1.2 m but the shipping costs are a deal killer for me. Although I've been looking for a while I don't see anything on the used market.
i would be getting it from a post office that closed out

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Check this 1.2 meter dish out, it is at my house this is what DirecTV installs in Alaska and Hawaii. Pretty sure it is made by Prodelin real similar to the General Dynamics Prodelin "High Wind" dish they offer, Ku and Ka of course. Built in adjustable skew mount. No fading from precipitation, many signal readings of 100 or in the 90's here in the Anchorage area.

Attachments

• 20191114_161615.jpg
    20191114_161615.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 20191114_161625.jpg
    20191114_161625.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Check this 1.2 meter dish out, it is at my house this is what DirecTV installs in Alaska and Hawaii. Pretty sure it is made by Prodelin real similar to the General Dynamics Prodelin "High Wind" dish they offer, Ku and Ka of course. Built in adjustable skew mount. No fading from precipitation, many signal readings of 100 or in the 90's here in the Anchorage area.

Nice dish!

Reactions: raydio
I've been fortunate to have access to more dishes and all their parts than most folks. There are free dishes still out there. :) My 1.2M CM dish started as a PrimeStar DTH dish. Now that credit card point of sale devices use the internet predominately, the satellite systems are just thrown away or left ignored on top of the building. Many quality Ku dishes unused out there.

? offset angle Primestar 1.2m

KuOrtho 003.JPG KuOrtho 009.JPG KuOrtho 004.JPG

To some extent it does come down to whether or not you intend to motorize the dish. Buying a good quality consumer grade dish like a GeoSatPro will lend itself easily to motorizing and give a solid experience, whereas a commercial dish is going to be more difficult to find the parts necessary to motorize. All of the gas station/car dealership and hotel systems out there that I've seen are static mounts. If you find one with a polar mount you'll have the best of the best, but more likely you'll either have to fabricate the mount or get a quality steel dish and a STAB motor.

Another piece of advice I have to make is don't throw anything out. EVER!
I just bought a 1m dish off eBay last week because I tossed out the two 1m Winegard dishes I had until last year, but hadn't ever used them. Now I'm buying a Chinese eBay dish (for someone else) because the real deal dishes are way too expensive or like SatAV, they don't ship 1.2m dishes to Canada.

To some extent it does come down to whether or not you intend to motorize the dish. Buying a good quality consumer grade dish like a GeoSatPro will lend itself easily to motorizing and give a solid experience, whereas a commercial dish is going to be more difficult to find the parts necessary to motorize. All of the gas station/car dealership and hotel systems out there that I've seen are static mounts. If you find one with a polar mount you'll have the best of the best, but more likely you'll either have to fabricate the mount or get a quality steel dish and a STAB motor.

Years ago polar mounts were available for a reasonable price...I retrofit one on a Patriot 1.2 meter dish and it worked out nicely. However these days I don't think you can find them.

100_0085.JPG
100_0084.JPG
100_0083.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts