Which media player/players do you own?

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
Kind of got off the beaten path in the Dish price increase thread.Anyway,got me wondering what types of media players our members may have,or have had in the past.Which is your favorite?

Currently I have Patriot Box Office,Roku,PS3,(just recently got it) and a Magnavox BD player with streaming.I also had a WDTV,I gave it to my daughter.I have also tried Boxee Box,X-Box 360 that friends have.Oh almost forgot the Wii,don't really use it for streaming anymore,as it's only sd.

As far as dlna the PBO is tops in that dept.WDTV second
Media streaming Roku is tops,mainly because of content.Second would have to be PS3,it beats the Roku,and WDTV when it comes to Netflix.

I have 2 of the latest wireless WDTV Live Streaming Media Players and 2 of the WDTV Live Hub's with internal hard drives. They work great with my NAS and play all of the avi, mkv, mp4 and iso files I have, plus all the foreign tv shows I get from the UK, Ireland, Canada and Australia. They also stream Netflix and Hulu+ for me.

I tried the Roku and PS3, but for my needs they weren't right.

I hardly get any cell signal at my lake house and was surprised when I went to have a landline installed that they now offer DSL out there and of course it was almost cheaper to bundle internet with the phone than getting phone by itself. The installer told me when they first offered it out there, there were so many people that signed up, that Windstream had no choice but to run fiber from the city out there to support everyone. I was on the edge of the 12mb service, so I get 6 and it is usually running closer to 8. It is the first time I can say Windstream actually delivers reliably. Any way, I don't even take the satellite receiver out there anymore unless there is a football game we want to see. With OTA, Netflix and Hulu+ everyone is happy. I may get a Roku and try Amazon's streaming service, but so far we have enough to keep us occupied.

Lets see...

1st Gen WDTV Live
WDTV Live Hub
1st Gen Boxee Box
3rd Generation Apple TV
Roku
XBOX 360
Playstation 3
Vizio Google TV Box

My favorite is the first generation Boxee Box, as it plays all my media on my network, plus streams almost every video site you could ever want.

I have a popcornhour C200 for my ripped BDs.

I mainly use the RoKu, AppleTV, and TiVo. I used to use my PS3, but other boxes work better.

I am a huge fan of AppleTV since it buffers, you can use slow motion forward and backwards. It does not single frame, but pretty close going forward. Surprisingly good watching youtube on AppleTV.

I like TiVo for shows I own on Amazon VOD since it will download them. Not Amazon streaming, but bought/rented shows/movies.

Roku I use for Amazon Prime, and HBO GO (although now if you have an iPad/iPhone you can stream on them to the AppleTV).

I know I am always short on HDMI inputs on the receiver.

Nice!Looks like most members have multiple media players.It would be nice if all of them had HBOGo,Amazon,Vudu,and Hulu.When I first started researching media players I came very close to going with a popcorn hour.

HBOgo and Amazon are what WDTV's are missing. The Watch ESPN app would be a nice addition too

Yep I agree.The PS3 is also devoid of HBOgo.Again,if WDTV could improve content,and Roku could improve upon dlna,they would both be better.

Hey Scott,isn't Boxee stopping production of the box?Going instead with the tv version?I had considered a BoxeeTv,but it doesn't appear to do dlna.

Xbox 360
Roku
Ps3
Panasonic Plasma "smart tv"
Vizio "smart tv"

The two that get the most use as far as streaming goes is the Roku and the Panny Plasma. The Xbox is next on the list because of ESPN3 access.

I have:
3 ea Roku players (LT, HD, 2XD)
2 ea Xbox 360's (dropped my Gold subs, now used for gaming and WMC extenders)
1 Vista HTPC w/2 ota tuners, connects to those extenders also used as my Plex and Tivo Desktop servers
1 XP MCE HTPC w/1 ota tuner (my first combo gaming/htpc rig, I don't really want to part with it :p)
1 Panasonic BD player connected via ethernet
1 Tivo Premiere
1 Tivo Series 2, 40gb version (don't use it for internet videos, since I have a Roku player connected to that set too)

The only thing missing is a real DLNA device. If I do decide to cut the cord, I'll get at least one. Until then, what I have works great in conjuction with Dish. My wife doesn't realize how ready we are to cut the cord! ;)

I have a fat PS3, AppleTV3, Mitsi TV w/apps and Sony BD player

I don't use the PS3 much these days. The ATV is used for sharing iTunes library, streaming from Apple, HuluPlus and Netflix. The BD player is used for Vudu and Amazon videos along with a smattering of the big number of other streaming offered.

I have a current Playon/Playlater license but will let that expire as I don't use it anymore. Supposedly it will work with my Hoppers, but I've never actually tried. I did try it with my previous D* HR24, but that was very hinky and simplistic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)