Which of these is the better value?

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I'm nearing the end of my new customer trial of the Blockbuster @Home service which came with my Hopper w/Sling. I've enjoyed the DVD-by-mail service. The online streaming-through-the-receiver service has been hit or miss, as many of us have experienced, and the number of available titles seems limited and obscure. I'm thinking of switching to Netflix, but from what I've read, you have to pay $7.99 per month extra for their dvd-by-mail service, so it's almost $15 a month.

What are your opinions on which service has the better selection, both online and through the mail?

Last edited:
I'd say Netflix is better all around. The only reason I don't resub is the occasional DVD by mail that I get through my BB@home sub, to which I subscribed for the linear channels before that package was renamed BB@home.

Netflix will be much better for DVD by mail and streaming. But as you found, at $16 or so a month. It's 1/2 that if you just want streaming. With BB the DVD's certainly seem limited or harder to get on a timely basis, BUT the real feature of BB are the 20 extra channels you get, many of which I know I watch very often.
Decide what you do/want the most and pick accordingly.

Don't forget, the Dish BB@home includes something like 15-20 channels.

I'm disappointed that the Netflix website doesn't have a good way to search their library if you aren't a customer. I can't even figure out if they have the titles I'm interested in

One of the things I do like about the BB service is they are transparent with their search function...Netflix is not. It's almost like they don't want you to search their library :confused: