Which one?

dougy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
I'm thinking of getting a Monster Power Powercenter for my home theater system but not sure which one. What do you all think of these two? Thanks in advance!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MPHPD1800-High-Definition-PowerCenter/dp/B001CBPWT0/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IIU384AQXB9DK&colid=23F6HXGNI4L0]Amazon.com: Monster Cable MPHPD1800 High Definition PowerCenter for Audio Video: Electronics[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Monster-2500-High-Definition-PowerCenter/dp/B001D8J9JQ/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IXU8GUSBQM7QV&colid=23F6HXGNI4L0]Amazon.com: Monster HDP 2500 High Definition PowerCenter - Surge suppressor ( external ) - AC 120 V - 11 output connector(s): Electronics[/ame]

DO NOT GET EITHER! Please. ;)

Monster makes good stuff, but they are way overpriced. Go look at APC for something like these.

Also good products. Have to check to see if Panamax has one meant for AV use, vice PC use. Yes, there's a difference.

Panamax and Furman are some of the best. Panamax has a complete, topnotch AV component line for HT. They also have a floor model line for PC or HT depending on your needs. I use the 7500 Pro a lot with whole house distribution setups.

S~

Monster is the only company I have heard of...
Monster makes good products. However, they are very overpriced.
A huge portion of their price goes toward the advertisement: to make sure that they are the only company you have heard of. ;)
Shop around!

The 5300 EX can be had for 249 on Amazon right now. Great deal. The PM is $499.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Panamax-M5300-EX-Outlet-Power-Conditioner/dp/B000ATEVVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235335315&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Panamax M5300-EX 11 Outlet Power Conditioner: Electronics[/ame]

I've been very happy with the Panamax M5400-EX. I have the entire home entertainment system, powered speakers and plasma TV connected to it.

DO NOT GET EITHER! Please. ;)

Monster makes good stuff, but they are way overpriced. Go look at APC for something like these.

In this case, I wouldn't say that Monster makes good stuff. This is nothing more than a fancy surge protector.

You can actually divide these devices into two classes. The first class basically uses passive devices to do some basic signal conditioning. This conditioning consists of Metal Oxide Varisters and Transorbs to attempt to catch and absorb a power spike. Some higher price devices will also add low pass filters to block higher frequency line transients and a simple low pas filter to block DC offset voltages. However, they won't handle line frequency fluctuations or voltage changes, especially sagging voltage drops.

This is the sort of device the Monster conditioners fall into.

The better conditioners will take a line input, pass it through a transformer and full wave bridge diode network to create a regulated DC signal. This signal is then used to generate a pure 60 Hz AC signal that is then amplified into a regulated 120V output. This second design is far superior in that there are two stages of isolation between the input and the output. The output signal is also frequency and voltage regulated.

This second class of device actually provides a good level of protection against lightning strike as well.

The real question is whether all this is needed. Modern powr supplies tend to be efficient switching supplies that will generally handle voltage variations and very little, if anything in the modern HT electronics relies on line frequency. The only real issue is surges and lightning strikes.

Lightning strikes are something that you really can't effectively protect against, and they are generally covered by your basic homeowners or renter insurance. They are as rare as.... getting hit by lightning. I'd personally use a lightning strike as an excuse to let the insurance update your equipment.

I have Belkin PureAV Home Theater Line Conditioner - AP21101-12 - Buy.com

It is discontinued but this is the replacement [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Home-Theater-Power-Console/dp/B001545OYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235391842&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console PF31 - Surge suppressor ( external ) - 11 output connector(s): Electronics[/ame]
I would suggest one with a battery backup or UPS.

Both the Monster ones you mention are under specced in comparison to the brands suggested for you and the suggested brands can be had much cheaper.

Here's what I use.....

$20 at Staples. Protects all my equipment just fine.

4115NNCDBKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Here's what I use.....

$20 at Staples. Protects all my equipment just fine.

4115NNCDBKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have two of those in play.... and two of these: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Components-F9M923-08-9-Outlet-SurgeMaster/dp/B000068CNU]Amazon.com: Belkin Components F9M923-08 9-Outlet Maximum SurgeMaster: Electronics[/ame]

Hmmmm... interesting way the amazon links are getting formatted... hadn't seen that on this forum yet. Be cooler if they all showed the item of the picture and price of the item.

Hmmmm... interesting way the amazon links are getting formatted... hadn't seen that on this forum yet. Be cooler if they all showed the item of the picture and price of the item.

I think it is because Amazon's prices change hourly. You are never absolutely sure of a price until you hit checkout.

I got the monster 2500 at Circuit City for $150. It was reasonably priced at $150, I would not have paid $399. My CC had a ton of monster power strips and conditioners left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts