Which 4K??

Yeah some are saying that the Sony's might get HDR with a future update which you would think they would especially since they have their own movie studio.

The 8500 is going to be the most future proof and supports HDR which is part of the UHD Blu-ray spec.

S~

Yeah you do make a good point that's part of the reason I'm leaning towards Samsung is due that the Sony's support it with their models above the one's I'm looking at but at a bigger price. Right now I'm leaning toward Samsung plus would like to give them a try as well. :)

Yeah some are saying that the Sony's might get HDR with a future update which you would think they would especially since they have their own movie studio.

HDR is implemented via hardware not software.

It's Direct TV 4K ready plus looking at the support page looks like there a update coming out this month that will make it Direct TV RVU as well.
The Sony XBRs are not DIRECTV 4K Ready. Sony's website has a FAQ indicating only that they are DIRECTV Ready.

DIRECTV RVU isn't a thing. "DIRECTV Ready" refers to TVs that are RVU capable to HD resolutions and "DIRECTV 4K Ready" is the UHD qualification.

Many don't recommend RVU TVs at all but I wanted to make sure that the XBR DIRECTV 4K Ready rumor that Crutchfield started gets squelched until such time as it becomes true.

HDR is implemented via hardware not software.
HDR must also be provided for in software. It is possible that some of these panels are HDR capable but the feature hasn't been turned on in the hopes of avoiding embarrassment if it turns out it doesn't work.

It is almost likely that DIRECTV 4K Ready will be turned on at some point for RVU aligned manufacturers other than Samsung.

Yeah at this point I will probably will go with one of the Samsung JS8500 models this time around so it will come down to just seeing which size I will go with the 55 inch or 65 inch. The 65 might be over kill for my main room but I just have to compared the two plus there a $1,000 difference as well. I'm leaning towards the 65 but will have to see how much more room it would take up compared to the 55. :)

You'll definitely have that "I should have..." going with the 55. May seem like overkill, but it's definitely not. Especially with UHD. My 65" UHD is in my bedroom. 65" plasma in the game room, 80" Sharp in the family room, and the glorious 2.35:1 screen and JVC projector in the HT. Now waiting on a true UHD projector. Maybe next year.

S~

Reactions: Poke
There's an interesting analysis of the state of UHD by Scott Wilkinson over at AVSForum. It talks about who is planning on doing what in terms of HDR and the fact that nobody's currently doing anything outside of Samsung SUHD series supporting it in one possible form.

The "article" is titled "Top 10 Things You Need to Know About choosing between HD and UHD,

Reactions: Poke
Last time I looked at that thread, there were more "I'm not going to upgrade" posts than not... reminiscent of the SD / HD change over.
That is telling all by itself. IMO, it is still not soup yet. Promises of future upgrades are much like "the check is in the mail". We may see them, but I wouldn't bet $2k on it happening.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone and when the time comes I will for sure let everyone know what I went with and share some pics as well.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)